UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

Hey guys, I have a question? Should I consider myself lucky to have found a complete set of WD mates at my local Toys R' Us? Are they really going to be that limited and rare? Last night I was browsing eBay and Shane & Glen's 2-Packs are selling for upwards of $75. If their really going to be that rare, I should probably hurry and snatch up another Shane & Glen if I ever plan on doing customs with their parts. I just don't see a TRU wave being this rare. Is it just impatient people on eBay? Maybe Zach could give us some insight into the availability of this wave...

I believe TRU orders were as strong as anything we sell them, if not stronger. I'd chalk any early price gouging up to a more expansive fan base that is less knowledgeable of the product. It's unfortunate, but not really avoidable, and bodes well for the line.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0152.jpg

I put the red hair that came with Vindicator and the purple coat from the TRU Gwen Stacy figure on my extra female zombie, and she looks different enough to me. I'm sure someone could do better as well, I was just using pieces from sets that I still had laying around my desk.

Edited by Mrtankengine

Sorry, I'm new to the series as a whole and apologize Sam for raising your blood pressure...any way when does T-Dawg cough cough Tyresse come out?

I know, you remind me of Sheldon from BBT :P now who's teasing? Oh and Beast Wars was one of my favorite shows as a kid, Cheetor Rhinox and Rattrap but your guy Dinobot was the coolest...just wanted to put that out there

I just checked eBay, and the TRU Shane & Glen are popping up more and more, but thanks to the first scalper scum, all the prices are at $69, $74, $80, one at $30 (w/ 3 bids already), it's ridiculous...

But I went back to my TRU today and picked up another Glen for asian head swap, and a Shane. As much as I want to put Shane on eBay, I can't look at myself in the mirror if I do it. I refuse to stoop to their level. So for thos of you on this board, I have a Shane and Punk Zombie (MIP) to trade. Check the Wants / Haves pages for a list of figures I'll trade for. I'd prefer to trade for Red Shirt Scotties if possible (from the Star Trek series 1 **2 inch** wave). But I'm always open to other trades as well...

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=10402&st=80

I have a different perspective on scalpers. I think they artificially inflate demand, which can be a good thing for Minimates. Scalpers see "OMG, I can buy some Walking Dead Minimates and flip them for 10X what I paid for them at retail". They end up over purchasing. This strengthens the initial sell-through and the retailer says, "Wow! These are selling like hotcakes. Time to double our order!" Encouraged by the strength of the line, DST expands production. Since there are only so many humans to make, DST retreads previous exclusives like Shane and Glen in different outfits/appearances. The original Shane and Glen packs plummet in price as scalpers chase the market down and the majority of buyers are simply content with the new "angry" Shane and "in-love" Glen at retail price.

Deadpool is a prime example. For collectors, I'd be patient. The price will likely settle down to around $14/pack in six months perhaps as soon as next month as these flood eBay.

I went to TRU yesterday and all the WD minimates were taken off the pegs and the TRU EXs were all gone. If you can buy them off the TRU site, why would you buy them off scalpers? Wierd...

Had an interesting discussion on the AllSpark recently, where this guy was so incensed at Scalpers that he proposed a "Scalper Identification System" similar to tracking pedophiles. No, I'm not joking. I didn't even address that idea, but pointed out instead that scalpers, while they do exist, are propelled into legend by collectors.

If you buy a toy for a friend, or even for yourself, someone will come along behind you and say "dang scalpers!" But the main culprit for toys disappearing are children. In the TF community the collectors make up less than 10% of the buying base, with 'scalpers' making up less than 1% of that 10%. Do they exist? Yes. But it's easier to blame a figmentilized enemy than be angry because a kid bought a child's play toy instead of you.

This may be a similar situation, except we have ebay to watch some of the selling trends, so I can't say for sure. Just food for thought. :unsure:

I assure you scalpers exist and are thriving. They seem to like Minimates, too. Just look at all the waves that show up on Ebay immediately after release. I think Minimates do well with scalpers because they are not very easy to find. You can't walk into Walmart and pick them up (yet).

Well, here in Fayetteville NC we have SCALPERS galore. Most of them are comic book shop owners, or hobby store owners, but they thrive at an astounding rate simply because most young G.I.'s live in the barracks and have a lot of disposable income. Hell, the cheapest comic shop in town is selling the X-Men Minimates 4-pack w/ Angel for $35, straight out the box from Diamond, and this is the cheap comic shop? I honestly believe I'll be seeing waves of WD minimates in his shop marked up to $15 to $20 a pack, this the reason I shop on Amazon for most of my minimates. Plus I know it's scalpers getting most of the good stuff at our TRU because I have friends that work there, and they tell me stories of the same 5 or 6 guys who come in and drop huge amounts of cash on entire waves of stuff in triplicate or higher. Most of the times, I'm able to get what I want because my friends will usually call me and tell me when something I'm looking for has come in, unfortunately they can't hold anything for me because that's a big no no with their manager, but on days I'm free I usually luck out...

But see, here in Fayetteville we actually have a larger problem, and that's the toy trader. I don't know if it's one guy, or multiple people, but we have this guy who will buy a toy, take it home, meticulously remove the toys from the package, then put a cheaper chinese knock off or older figure back in the package, seal it back up and return it. Fortunately I've been a toy collector for years and can spot the culprit toy on the shelf in a heart beat, but it just saddens me to think that some kids grandmother thinks she's buying a HULK / Wolverine Marvel Universe 2-pack, and when her grandson opens it he's disappointed because it's a Thor action figure w/ Luke Skywalker. The worst part is, most of the employees that work at Wal-Mart, TRU, and Target (where this guy or guys strikes) don't even care, or have the toy knowledge to spot his work. This guy is the truest type of scum...

Oh, BTW Jeff, Shane is wearing a Baseball Cap that says police (easy enough to remove, just use some Brasso). Just thought I'd mention it if you wanted to trade...