UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Cleaning mates of stink?

I recently bought a lot on ebay, they have arrived but they smell like an ashtray. Has anyone experienced this before and successfully removed unpleasant odors from any toys? I have them in a bag with baking soda to see if it will absorb the stink.

On my experience leaving them out in the open for a while with enough space worked(at least with transformers it did) but I've also heard on leaving them in soap water for a few minutes and a quick rinse might also work.

Put them in a zip lock bag with a few dryer sheets. Works every time.

I have a separate 'smoked' section of my collection .....they stay outside in the porch looking forlorn in all weathers,growing old before their time & suffereing with stiff joints.

Seriously,I bought a collection once & it completely wreaked of fags whoops sorry different meaning over here :unsure: cigarettes & it was a devil of a job eliminating the smell. I eventually soaked them in a bowl of water containing a drop of lemon-juice...it worked a treat .

• 2 weeks later...

Because I had them buried in Baking soda, I had to wash them. It took a few washes as baking soda got in all the cracks and left a residue I couldn't see until it was dry. (And the stink is gone!)

Next time I'll use a dryer sheet and save myself the hassle. thanks for all the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the coveted Mega Bloks Baxter Building set used, and it REEKS. I'm definitely afraid to put my Minimates on it. I can't wash the pieces, because of pre-applied stickers (and I have no idea where I'd get replacements). I'll try the dryer sheet/ziploc bag trick, thanks, guys.

Edited by TENIME_art

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a Crossbones / Secret War Cap from TRU.

They reeked of VOCs - the first time I have ever seen this with 'mates.

Has anyone else seen this (smelled this)?

I'll try the dryer sheet method.

I guarantee one method of removing cigarette smells from Minimates........leave them in your unflushed toilet for a few days.

I guarantee that they won't smell of cigarettes* when you fish them out.

*obviously this doesn't work with 'Riot Spidey' ...usual reasons apply.

I lol'd. :P