UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor

Urban Saboteur

Hey Guys,

I wanted to discuss the Minimates based around the character Thor.

First of all, forgive me if my comic book knowledge is askew, obviously where possible please point me in the right direction if i make a mistake.

I was looking at my wants list for Marvel, i've been holding out to get a Stormbreakers Box Set, which would give me: Mighty Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Loki & Sif.

First of all, while looking at my own collection I have Captain America, Iron Man & Ms.Marvel to make the Avengers (once i get Thor of course). But would i be ok using the Thor that comes in the Stormbreaker box set?

I am not that keen on the Ultimate version or armored version or the movie versions, but i saw there was one released with Loki in Wave 16 and more recently the TRU with Balder the Brave in which he is named as First Appearance Thor? ~ so i'm wondering how much of a difference there is between these two?

My Minimates I have in the Avengers line I have are as follows:

Captain America ~ Wave 5

Iron Man Wave ~ 6

Ms.Marvel Wave ~ 19

My idea is to try and get Thor as close to classic look as possible so he stands well next to the other 3, I'm intending also to get the Avengers boxed set, i've had this previously anyway and would like to get it again at some point for Ant-Man and Wasp mostly.

My dilemma if it is one is to avoid getting too many Thor's I've looked at the one released with Loki and that looks a good one, but i am thinking if i am already planning to get the Stormbreaker box set wouldn't this be just as good? Seeing as though he's listed as the Mighty Thor or maybe the one with Balder would be best, as its described as being First appeareance Thor?

So my choice i think comes down to these 3 Thor's and I guess by posting this up for discussion i'm looking for some knowledgeable input from you guys as which would be the best?

I remember particularly having two larger figures as a kid, the Iron Man i had was red and yellow and had straight arms, i had a captain america in classic uniform as well (this would of been late 80s or early 90s) which is why my minimate selections reflect those costumes.

Ok. I'm hoping someone here can help out with some advice.

In friendship

Rich

The Stormbreaker Thor is quite good. First appearance Thor might be more if your going for a super old school kind of Avengers. The wave 16 is, I dunno, a little goofy for my tastes.

There is also the option of Wave 33's Thor Reborn for a more up to date crazy kind of fun.

My personal choice would be the Stormbreaker Thor, but FA Thor has that hair, and there is a lot to be said for it. So it's really up to you.

If there is one Thor to own, for me, it is the Kirby TRU Thor. Thankfully, though, there plenty more to own. I personally think the first Thor (packaged with Loki) is kinda lame in comparison to almost all other Thors. The short, fat modern Thor carries the honor of lamest. Worth mentioning, I'm very much looking forward to MvC3 Thor, for the nice looking 'mate and the sweet looking spinning hammer.

Kirby (First Appearance) Thor is the only one I will ever need. It's one of my now top 5 favorite minimates ever. Nothin' has to be swapped, changed, altered or customized on it. Only thing that could possibly make it better would be black paint tampos all the way around the legs. Still, it's nigh perfecto!

Im waiting on TrU 12 1st app to be exactly what Pun has, and like Turtle mentioned, the MvC Thor looks like its going to be wonderful.

There isn't anything particularly wrong with Stormbreaker Thor though, if you have him I'd certainly concentrate on getting yourself other new characters first.

Stormbreaker is a great choice, but I prefer the classic heroic age box set Thor sold through Disney stores.

The FA Thor is quite nice, though. Looks a lot like the wave 16 Thor minus the awful chest piece that ruined that figure,

Considering the Balder that comes with FA Thor, I'd recommend both the Stormbreaker set and FA Thor.

Depends on what look you are going for. If you are going for early Avengers, go Kirby Thor. Anything later, Stormbreaker Thor.

YMMV

Thanks for your advice and suggestions guys. :)

After much thinking time and taking into account what has been said on this thread, as well as taking into account i actually don't have any version of Thor in minimate form, I think my best bet here is to go for the First Appearance Thor that comes with Balder, i'll get him first, try him out, and i'll still intend to buy the Stormbreaker box set at a later date.

I'll probably order them both off Luke's Toy Store tonight, as he also has the Cap n Crossbones two pack and for some reason even though I can't figure out why, I think the Crossbones figure looks awesome. I don't know too much about the character but i guess marvel wiki can sort that out for me :)

First Appearance Thor it is! :biggrin:

Thanks again.

Rich

Good choice. Stormbreaker Thor just isn't as aesthetically pleasing. First Appearance Thor leaves all previous Thors in the dust IMO, and is the one I've got on my Avengers display. I've still got the old wave 6 Iron Man, though. No other Iron Man released has matched that one in terms of representing the classic comic look to my eyes.

Stormbreaker Thor and TRU FA Thor are both great BUT don't forget that the other mates they come with are pretty awesome too!

Balder - very cool, will likely never be upgraded or released again.

Sif - also cool, again not likely to ever be updated or seen again.

Loki - My favorite Loki so far!

Beta Ray Bill - not too shabby. I wasn't thrilled with the duplication with the recent regular release, but he fits in well for a character I don't care for.

These figures are good enough to buy even with getting a second Thor, plus you have the option to put one with your Avengers, and the other with an Asgardians display! Or you could sell/trade off the one you don't want.

The only downfall of the TRU thor are those dang exposed sides

I've got to agree with this as well. Not sure it really translates well. Not huge on the belt either.

Thankfully, like Loki, we have all the parts to make a perfect Thor now. Don't need anymore Thors for a while now... cheers.