UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Treasures from the Basement

youbastards

Welcome to 'Treasures from the Basement', a topic where members can post pictures and stories of items/collectibles that have special meaning to them. I started this topic because I've been seriously contemplating selling off my large comic collection, and while looking through some boxes, I found some of the most special items I have in my collection.

In 1993, I was a senior in high school and took my first trip to an out-of-state comic convention (the pre-Wizard Chicago Comic Con) with the owner of the local comic shop and some of the regulars. It was fun and exciting for me to be out there on my own, and I had saved $300 for a spending budget for the trip, but it was also exciting as before I left, my mother gave me money as an early graduation gift to buy a copy of X-Men #1 if I could get it for the amount she gave me, $300. Looking back on it, I can't believe how generous she was for supporting my collection! My mother was a school teacher and she always encouraged my brother and I to read, even if it were comics. She used to drive me the 1/2 hour to the nearest comic shop and read in the car while I was in the store.

The first day at the convention, I found a seller with a copy of X-Men #1 for more than what I had to spend on it, it was far from mint, but met all the criteria I had for comics to be in my collection: an attractive cover with no writing, no water damage, no tears or missing pages. On the second day, I went back and offered $400 for it, but he told me to come back before the show closed that day, and if he still had it he would sell it to me for $500. Keep in mind that this was during the resurgence of the X-Men with the new #1 and X-Force having just launched the year before, prices on old X-Men comics were skyrocketing. I killed some time by spending a couple hours in line at the Todd McFarlane signing and eventually got him to sign the copy of Platinum Spider-Man #1 for me that the LCS owner sold me. I'll never forget how rude McFarlane was, this was the beginning of Image/Spawn, and he made some smart ass comment about 'great, another spider-man' or something like that. Up to that point, I was a die hard McFarlane fan, and that really hurt the experience for me. John Byrne pissed me off a few years later too, but that is another story (and less of a surprise...)

I was getting ready to meet up with the guys from the comic shop, so I went back to the dealer, who still had the comic. I shelled out $500 for what was at the time the most money I had ever spent at one time, it was exciting and scary at the same time. He pulled it off the wall display and packaged it up really nice for me. I was in a daze, having just acquired the holy grail of my comic collection at the time. On my way to meet up with the guys, Stan Lee was on the comic show floor! He was 10 feet in front of me, and I had just purchased an X-Men #1! I was nervous as hell, he had a lot of people around him getting autographs. I waited my turn, pulled out the X-Men #1 and asked him if he would please sign it for me, as I had just bought it less than 10 minutes ago. His eyes lit up, he gave me the classic Stan Lee smile, told me that he would be happy to sign it for me. It was one of those experiences that had to have all the stars properly aligned in order to happen. My friends from the comic shop couldn't believe it when I told them what happened.

Any time I look at this book, all those memories come back, and I know that if I ever decide to sell my comics, there is no way I could part with my X-Men #1.

UncannyX-Men001.jpg

UncannyX-Men001-Back.jpg

Edited by youbastards

Nice story, and a good idea for a thread. I'll have to think of some good stories, though I've never spent anywhere near that much on a comic. I don't think, actually, that I've ever broken the $100 mark, even though I've amassed a pretty sizable Silver Age collection. Part of that probably comes from my preference for Silver Age DC, and DC prices usually aren't as high. The best story I can think of, off the top of my head, comes from the Wizard World Philly show a few years ago. It was at the end of the con, and in those days I was living downtown, so the show was a subway ride for me. I had gotten a few jobs freelancing for a local weekly paper, and so I was able to turn that into a press pass for the show, which changes everything (I'm spoiled now, and I won't pay for a big show ever again). So I basically lived at the Philly Convention Center for the weekend; I remember waking up on Sunday and thinking "Ugh, I'm so sick of the Con, and I've already spent so much money. But it only happens once a year...". So I sucked it up.

Anyway. This was on the last day of the con, and I'd gotten my wife (then my girlfriend) into the show with an extra pass. And, as we were walking around the floor, we found a dealer packing up that had discounted all their wall books to 80% off the sticker price. 80%! They had only a few things left, but among them was a copy of Green Lantern #2 stickered at $400, which meant that it was about $50 (apologies if my math is incorrect). I dithered about it for a bit; it was a great deal, but still a good bit of money. I said as much to my girlfriend, expecting her to talk me out of it. Instead, she said that she thought I should get it. She's never been quite so encouraging with my purchases since. :biggrin:

I've since paid less for even older issues (Showcase #23, Hal's second appearance), but that was on eBay, and not really a story. ;) Incidentally, Youbastards, we graduated in the same year. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, Youbastards, we graduated in the same year. :thumbsup:

As did I.

Nice story YB. I think the most I spent on a comic back then was $5 (and I couldn't believe I was spending that much). I'm not sure, but I don't think I've spent much more than that since either. I'm more of a tpb/omnibus person myself and am lucky enough to not have to spend much for what I get.

You kids need to pipe down in here. Some of us older folks are trying to nap.

Class of '93.

Puh.

Some of us had been legally drinking for years by then.

Gonna have to start callin' you juniorhog.

Part with it? I'd have the thing framed!

I agree with junior youbastards :biggrin:

Memorabilia....we see the word so often that we associate it with tacky crap with a date on it......something like that comic will always evoke great memories which as the years go by will prove priceless....beyond price.

Probably my most sincerest post ever.

I'm going to take a nap now.

Nice story YouBastards! I too think you should just have it framed instead of parting with it.

You kids need to pipe down in here. Some of us older folks are trying to nap.

Class of '93.

Puh.

Some of us had been legally drinking for years by then.

Gonna have to start callin' you juniorhog.

Sorry Mirymate! I guess you're just going to have to put up with some of us youngin's. I'm class of '92 myself. Although I was 17 when I graduated so I'm probably the same age as some of you guys.

So, what is the value of X-Men 1 nowadays (if you've checked recently)?

I honestly have no idea, I am not current on any pricing. To get an accurate estimate I would need to get it graded.

Side note: I am anti-CGC. I think comics are meant to be open and read from time to time, even the old ones. Getting a comic 'slabbed' takes all the fun out of the hobby and over inflates prices. I actually got a good deal on some old Spidey comics that were CGC graded a few years ago, and the first thing I did was open them up. One of them was ASM #14. It's nowhere near the shape of X-Men #1, though. However the ASM #50 is almost pristine! I'll post some pics one of these days.

Edited by youbastards

Hey youbastards, you should print off that first post you made and keep it with the comic. When the comic gets past down to the next lucky guy, they have a nice story to go with it.

The reason I say that is this.

When I was a kid I used to go to baseball card shows with my dad and get autographs. I have met practically every hall of famer. I used to collect cards and baseball stuff with my dad. As I got older I got into comics and toy collecting and less baseball. Fast forward 20 years and his collection of baseball memorabilia is large enough to start a small museum and high quality enough to be at Cooperstown. The one thing he wishes he did was better documentation. As I am familiar with 40's, 50's, 60's baseball, I don't know the history about all his stuff that he knows. someday, that collection will get past down to my sister and myself. And then to our kids, and so on. To be able to pass on the stories of all his collectables is just as important as the item itself, imo.

Anyway, nice purchase and totally cool meeting Stan lee right after buying. Congrats!

I was talking class of 1893. That's what everyone else meant, right?

Was that before or after you took your first head? In the Game?

Man, looks like we've got a lot of MMMVers that will be turning 40 soon... :sad:

Actually, I didn't get the choice, but as the writer, it makes more sense that he would sign inside instead of the cover as that should be reserved for the artist.

Er... yeah... c'mon man, you know that Stan was probably NOT thinking "better not sign the cover, can't step on Jack's toes". That's like suggesting that Bob Kane was always talking up the important contributions that Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson made. :ermm:

It might just be because you had a ballpoint pen and not a sharpie. In my experience, guys will use a sharpie to autograph a cover, and a pen for the inside. Though I've only got a few autographs: Steve Rude on an issue of Nexus; Matt Wagner on an issue of Mage, and Carmine Infantino on an issue of :flash::thumbsup:

Oh! Got it!

Okay, so when I was younger, I was (and still am) a HUGE Beast Wars fan. I didn't have a clue about G1 and that was okay. These were the days before the internet. I'd gotten my allowance one day and went to walmart with my sister so she could sell Girl Scout cookies. So I go chest the toy aisle (old habits start young) cause I was still looking for a Rattrap. I turn the corner and SURPRISE! Transmeals! Now, they were jacking with the TV schedule at the time, so I hadn't see season 2 yet. But here were Cheetor and Tarantulas, and they looked PRETTY! So I bought them both with a $20 bill. And still had change. I miss those days.

Fast forward 2 years. I'm at walmart again, and they had a new assortment out. Transmetal 2s. And they had Dinobot. And he looked amazing. So I went home, and asked my parents if they'd give me $10 to mow the lawn. They said yes, so I mowed the snot out of it (we live on almost an acre). By the time I was done I asked if mom would drive me back to walmart. She asked if I wanted to take a shower first, but I was too excited. So I rush down there, and he's exactly where I left him. So I snatched him up and he was so cool. I hadn't even seen him on the show yet. But my love for the glorious clone had begun.

Scott McNiel was at Mechacon a few years ago. I still had my original Dinobot but opted instead for him to sign a rare Transmetal II variant. I had the honor of explaining to him that when the toys hit in late 1998 just before Christmas, they were packaged with a Roman numeral variant. Collectors and parents snatched them up and opened them. After Christmas however, they switched to a standard "2" packaging. There weren't many IIs left that didn't end up in the trash. Scott then told me that I was the most knowledgeable person about BW that he knew, and gladly signed my figure. One of the best moment of my life. Topped even meeting Peter Cullen, and is right up with with my being 36 hours sleep deprived and giggling like an idiot as I hugged David Kaye.

post-51-0-49735100-1327500655_thumb.jpg

Edited by TM2 Dinobot