UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Speaking of logo redesigns...

Lobsterman

It looks like a hipster clothing/sneaker company logo. Hate it.

If they wanted to make it REALLY modern, they might as well throw Lee Lines all over it too; people like their superheroes with techy-lines, right?

Heh... Lee Lines. Maybe throw a couple of pouches and a leather jacket on there, too.

Call me crazy, but I think it actually looks kinda cool on the covers. Very sharp and modern.

As a stand alone logo though, like say in front of a movie or tacked onto a press release, it seriously needs some work. Who would have ever thought that I would miss their swoosh logo?

If they wanted to make it REALLY modern, they might as well throw Lee Lines all over it too; people like their superheroes with techy-lines, right?

Heh... Lee Lines. Maybe throw a couple of pouches and a leather jacket on there, too.

I just cracked up at the image of the logo with lee lines, and a leather jacket and pouches :lol:

I just cracked up at the image of the logo with lee lines, and a leather jacket and pouches :lol:

Well, they DO want to change the logo for every single book....

Liefeld is on Grifter, so we may just get to see a Leather Jacket, pouch, and Lee Lines Logo.........sigh.

This is so so absolutel sh*t... absolutely.

I would suggest, given all their recent decisions, that a number of high-ups at DC really need putting down. Its the only humane thing for it... their own good and that.

Okay... so you have the most recognized logo in comics with nearly 100 years of history behind it. You've tweaked it over the years, but it's been easily recognizable through out. And you throw it out for a peeling sticker. Right. Okay. I understand completely.

I understand that apparently your parent company learned nothing from their own logo swap experiment in the late 70's/early 80's.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I thought their 2005 logo redesign was smart, and spot-on for the company's products. I can't believe they are changing it again so soon. I like the versatility of the new logo (which is something I would like to see the minimates logo do) but I hate the design of the new logo. It looks like someone is peeling the label off a new toilet seat.

I thought their 2005 logo redesign was smart, and spot-on for the company's products. I can't believe they are changing it again so soon. I like the versatility of the new logo (which is something I would like to see the minimates logo do) but I hate the design of the new logo. It looks like someone is peeling the label off a new toilet seat.

I am/was kind of indifferent on the Logo change, becase I can certainly see what you are referring to with the toilet seat thing.

I actually had no idea they changed it up in 2005, it is quite soon again to be changing it already :confused:

The only thing that comes to my mind after looking at is that it is completely soulless, and not in an exciting undead way but in that it was created by machines for machines. I suppose this means that the new Warner Brothers logo is going to be a "W" done like the "D" with the bottom pulled up revealing a face down "B" underneath. Or in other words a double seater toilet cover.

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be like their corporate logo, because that's what it looks like. So something used at the upper level management stuff that the regular audience would almost never see, while the comics retain the familiar 2005 logo, I know some companies do this for some reason.

But I just can't see a point to this redesign. That said I do like how it's applied to the comics.

Eh... I kind of like the idea of matching it to specific comics, but I don't really care for the logo. My favorite is still the simple DC inside the black circle with four stars, but the orbiting swoosh star is nice too. This is a completely different direction, which, sure, carries a message itself, but it doesn't really have the brand continuity you'd expect. Absolutely no need to change, especially not to something that doesn't feel like part of the natural evolution of the brand.

Edited by Turtle

What? No stars?

The design of the new DC Entertainment identity uses a "peel" effect - the D is strategically placed over the C with the upper right-hand portion of the D peeling back to unveil the hidden C - symbolizing the duality of the iconic characters that are present within DC Entertainment's portfolio.

...because the characters peel their secret identities off? What?

I kind of like the logo... but not for them. It's too clean and sterile. I prefer the last redesign. At least that felt like a modern homage to the classic logo. This just seems like ...well it's a D and a C, I guess. And then they used a standard typeface for their name underneath with DC and Comics on separate lines for no reason, which all together makes a weird compositional shape. How does this new logo reflect the company or their history when it has ZERO common aspects of the original? Did they seriously go with this just so they could have the animated "peel" on their website?

BORING.

But seriously I'd like it a little better if it at least had a star incorporated into it.

Make mine Marvel.

I don't know why, but the new DC logo was on my mind for a lot of the weekend. I still think it's pretty ugly and doesn't really feel like an evolution of the company's identity, but I can kind of see where they were going with it. Here's my five-minute retake on the retake, in Green Lantern and Watchmen themes. In my head, this "interactive" logo starts as a black and white D which slides to the left to reveal the powered-on, themed C.

post-850-0-86246200-1327336531_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-64124500-1327336539_thumb.jpg

Okay, here's the biggest problem with this: if I showed this to you, and didn't tell you what it was, and it didn't say "DC Comics" in the world's blandest typeface underneath, would you think "DC Comics"? I wouldn't. THAT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A D!!! IT LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE THE LOGO FOR, I DUNNO, CANON OR SOMETHING! Sorry for the shouting, by the way.

Okay, here's the biggest problem with this: if I showed this to you, and didn't tell you what it was, and it didn't say "DC Comics" in the world's blandest typeface underneath, would you think "DC Comics"? I wouldn't. THAT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A D!!! IT LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE THE LOGO FOR, I DUNNO, CANON OR SOMETHING! Sorry for the shouting, by the way.

Canon?? DC doesn't believe in that. Unless it's Batman or Green Lantern.

Or Geoff Johns.