UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I think we need to start the army builders again?

Polarboy

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see previous army builders reissued

• Yes - In regular waves
    • Yes - In boxsets of a single builder ie 4 sentinals
    • Yes - In mixed boxsets ie 1 sentinal 1 kree etc
    • Yes - In regular waves with a slight variation to prior releases ie battle damage
    • No - I don't want the number of figures released each year reduced to create space for reissues
    • Yes - In single box army dumps
  2. 2. Which Army Builders (non-movie) do you want more of?

Tojos Terrors... love it, I think!

Rich, the army builders were first introduced as a way to stop people having to purchase 2 of the same 'secondary' figure, when they wanted the standard and variant figures that came with him/her/it. We do now, of course, have the exact opposite problem, and end up with loads of unwanted figures that can include variants.

There isn't any real way around that I suppose, personally I'd love to see single packed comic army builders on top of the ones in speciality waves. Sometimes I worry the army builders are the only thing the speciality waves still have going for them, as all (most... usually) the best figures get given to Tr bloody U

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see 4 packs of 1 "army" type. Hellfire, SHIELD, Skrull, Kree, AIM, Hand, HAMMER, Hydra...armies that warrant leaders and females get one of each, maybe a battle damaged one too. Have a couple different heads/hair to add even more variety.

for example; a SHIELD 4 pack w/ Maria Hill, 2 Agents and 1 Officer. Add in a Sharon Carter head/hair and 1 or 2 ethnicity variant heads and some appropriate weapons/gear. I know I'd buy at least 2 probably 3 sets. If this kind of set was timed to release at the same time as a wave including a new Nick Fury and a comic Dum Dum Dugan, they'd fly off the pegs.

By the same token, release a Hellfire Guard set alongside a wave with the Club members, or HAMMER w/ a New Dark Avengers wave...you get the idea.

The dump box of singles isn't a bad idea, but between shortpacks and the fact that you're gonna get charged around $6-$8 a pop I think $15-$20 for a 4 pack is a better deal.

On a side note, I really like the idea of generic military Minimates too...(edit, don't want to derail the thread, I'll continue this elsewhere

Edited by tones

My problem with Halo and movie Marvel army dumps is that I don't collect either of them. I never played Halo and movie 'mates are only interesting to me if they can supplement comic 'mates.

Were DST to put out 4-pack or single-boxed Kree, Skrull, AIM, SHIELD, Hydra, Hand, Dreadnoughts, etc. I'd buy them up quick fast.

Were DST to put out 4-pack or single-boxed Kree, Skrull, AIM, SHIELD, Hydra, Hand, Dreadnoughts, etc. I'd buy them up quick fast.

I would very seriously support this. Alas - DST doesn't seem to be interested in this idea. Perhaps their research shows that it is, in fact, not a profitable idea? :confused:

I ask this at every event/Con i see DST at, and i STILL don't understand why they're so against a Comic Army Builder Dump; the answer is always no. Like....The movie Dumps sell; Hydra Troopers were gone INTENSELY fast at my LCS, even Frost Giants sold, so if the movies can sell isn't it wort of obvious how great Comic Army Building Singles would??

I mean, it's almost like printing money. SHIELD/HYDRA Dump with 2 Madame Hydras and a shortpacked Baron von Strucker (in less popular uniform so he can be released later) would sell like hotcakes.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

BHM,

As I mentioned before, I believe it was that Nazis are clearly evil and have STAYED evil. they weren't the entire German populace, unlike the Japanese, who declared total war. If someone were to make a fuss about the 'evil' Japanese today, they would be citing that the people of Japan were evil, not a lunatic segment (apologies to any neo-Nazis present. [not really]) The Japanese culture is so engraved in America and the rest of the world, that it can be successfully argued, as I did for a History final one year, that the Japanese won WWII, becoming the most advanced culture in the world. (That is not to say they don't have issues. Don't get me started on population growth or cultural acceptance.) This, from the people who started WWII in 1933, a full 6 years before Germany, and were committing atrocities against the Chinese that made Hitler look like he was throwing a tea p[arty. Where do you think Pol Pot got his ideas from?

So why Nazis over Japs? (not offensive in a WWII context.) Well, it's easier to declare them evil, but more importantly, pop culture has already done so. To the point where we have to flirt with the Nazi concept. I think Indiana Jones was the last great icon to fight the Axis before hollywood pussied out and decided that if kids were going to be around, they can't fight Hitler. They became Hydra, Hammer, Adam Savage's German Forces. But never Nazis. Never Hitler. Because that might offend someone, and Heaven forbid we teach children anything about history. Remember, those who learn about history get wild ideas and are doomed to repeat it. Wait... That can't be right.

I understand that they don't want to offend people, explicitly the Jewish population, which has more members here in the US than in Israel, (which is fine. They deserve it and I fully support the Jewish movement), but they need to remember that Hitler didn't kill just Jews. His killed Christians, Gypsies, gays, mentally and physically retarded, communists, and really just about anyone he wanted.

But like I said. The Japanese did worse for twice as long. Germany was just being lead by a man. Japan was being lead by the last emperor declared to be a god.

Guilt.

Pure and simple.

Even though dropping the atomic bomb was the tactically correct decision to make, and likely saved more lives than it took, being a generally compasionate society we were horrified by the images we saw and the staggering weapon we created. So that colors everything else we see looking back at Japan as our other WWII opponent.

I'd love some WWII soldiers, but then I'd like some thugs, and some suit wearing henchmen (like the ones Mini Myte used in his Kingpin Christmas cartoon).

I would very seriously support this. Alas - DST doesn't seem to be interested in this idea. Perhaps their research shows that it is, in fact, not a profitable idea? :confused:

Are you suggesting that DST with their "business models" and "market research" knows better than us, the fans with our wishlists? For shame, I say. FOR SHAME!

I prefer saving future slots for new release army builders. The 2 biggest I see missing are the Brood and Moloids but there are still dozens more out there. I think the creation of female versions of army builders or ethnic variations would work.

I also like thinking that my ebay hunting and collecting was not in vain. Saying that a figure should be released due to high after market prices, didn't seem to work well with the recent Deadpool, Wolverine, Spiderman and Venom 4 pack.

I don't personally like the idea you'd have to buy multiples of the same super hero just to army build AIM agents or any army builders.

It's rather stupid really IMO, But that's maybe just me not appreciating the sales aspect from DST or whatever, i'm sure if they released army builders in single packs they'd be the first to snapped up by Scalpers to sell on ebay while people get in bidding wars to army build. :confused::unsure:

I don't want hundreds of each, but it would be nice to have at least 3 or 4 to surround a super hero in battle when i'm posing them and taking pictures, its always been a common theme in Action Figure collecting, the most vintage Cobra Soldiers I ever had was 10 (while collecting G.I.JOE), for me that was more than enough to surround Cobra Commander or a GI team member while taking pictures.

I do have AIM Soldiers, Doombots, Hydra Agents, Sentinels & Shield Agents listed on my Wants list, but for now my priority remains the Heroes & Villains I don't yet have, like Punisher, Thor or Nick Fury for example.

Rich

I'm pretty sure that DST was looking at it from the other direction-- that is, that if you buy the regular pack and the variant, you now at least get a figure of which you might want more then one. It's a lot better then when you'd get, say, two Hawkeyes.

As I mentioned before, I believe it was that Nazis are clearly evil and have STAYED evil. they weren't the entire German populace, unlike the Japanese, who declared total war. If someone were to make a fuss about the 'evil' Japanese today, they would be citing that the people of Japan were evil, not a lunatic segment (apologies to any neo-Nazis present. [not really]) The Japanese culture is so engraved in America and the rest of the world, that it can be successfully argued, as I did for a History final one year, that the Japanese won WWII, becoming the most advanced culture in the world. (That is not to say they don't have issues. Don't get me started on population growth or cultural acceptance.) This, from the people who started WWII in 1933, a full 6 years before Germany, and were committing atrocities against the Chinese that made Hitler look like he was throwing a tea p[arty. Where do you think Pol Pot got his ideas from?

So why Nazis over Japs? (not offensive in a WWII context.) Well, it's easier to declare them evil, but more importantly, pop culture has already done so. To the point where we have to flirt with the Nazi concept. I think Indiana Jones was the last great icon to fight the Axis before hollywood pussied out and decided that if kids were going to be around, they can't fight Hitler. They became Hydra, Hammer, Adam Savage's German Forces. But never Nazis. Never Hitler. Because that might offend someone, and Heaven forbid we teach children anything about history. Remember, those who learn about history get wild ideas and are doomed to repeat it. Wait... That can't be right.

I understand that they don't want to offend people, explicitly the Jewish population, which has more members here in the US than in Israel, (which is fine. They deserve it and I fully support the Jewish movement), but they need to remember that Hitler didn't kill just Jews. His killed Christians, Gypsies, gays, mentally and physically retarded, communists, and really just about anyone he wanted.

But like I said. The Japanese did worse for twice as long. Germany was just being lead by a man. Japan was being lead by the last emperor declared to be a god.

Excellently said.

What I don't understand is the mentality that making them THE BAD GUYS is "glorifying them." By having Captain America or Indiana Jones fight them, you're already stating for a fact that they're evil & need to be defeated. How is that a bad thing? crazy.gif

It's a lot better then when you'd get, say, two Hawkeyes.

You have something against Hawkeye? What would all of us used to make our improved Hawkeye customs if not for that second Hawkeye?

It's a lot better then when you'd get, say, two Hawkeyes.

You have something against Hawkeye? What would all of us used to make our improved Hawkeye customs if not for that second Hawkeye?

Hawkeye's my absolute favorite Marvel character; I even started the "Through the Ages Suggestion Thread" thread with Hawkeye through the ages. So no, I don't got nuttin' against ol' Brier Hawkeye. :biggrin:

Excellently said.

What I don't understand is the mentality that making them THE BAD GUYS is "glorifying them." By having Captain America or Indiana Jones fight them, you're already stating for a fact that they're evil & need to be defeated. How is that a bad thing? crazy.gif

Here's what blows my mind.

I can understand a Swastika being "evil". It's illegal in Germany, it has a bad taste to the Jewish community, it's frowned upon by it's connection to the skin head/neo Nazi movement. (Kinda like the Battle Flag of Georgia which is NOT the Confederate Flag, a symbol of heritage and history, not hate.)

However, why does that stop the Iron Cross? The Iron Cross predates the Nazis, going back to at least WWI. It was a medal for those who bravely served the German people with valor, akin to out Commemorative Medal of Honor. German veterans used to wear them proudly on Armistice Day.

But Iron Crosses are bad. So are Iron Eagles. Anything from Germany is bad to show. Because it's BAD. Never mind someone getting clever with a Swastika and printing a Manji. Parents would go nuts! Fictional parents. Called censors.

Yet the Communist Red Star? The Hammer and Sickle? From Stalin, who was just as bad as Hitler and started a Cold War that lasted 5 times longer than that little spat Hitler was trying for?

Yeah. That's fine.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Hey apparently the German government is so determined to shed it's image as a warmongering nation, Bumblebee and Jazz are not aloud to use Volxwagon Beetles or Porches as their vehicle modes, since Transformers fight and are violent and Germans don't do that anymore. Overreact much?

I'm enjoying this apolitical,sensible conversation ,let's keep it going without being too controversial .

You realise who designed the 'Volkswagen',who ordered its development & what volkswagen means ?

Ferdinand Porsche,Adolf Hitler ,people's car.

The German government may well be overeacting but I know where their paranoia stems from .

Are you suggesting that DST with their "business models" and "market research" knows better than us, the fans with our wishlists? For shame, I say. FOR SHAME!

They can release a comic army builder case and we can vote with our wallets.

See, I'm the opposite side of the Army-Builder coin than many collectors... in that I don't build armies, lol.

I've never gone out of my way to buy extras of any army-builders. As an X-Men fan, I kinda want to pick up a few more Multiple Men one day, but I admittedly still haven't gotten around to it.

Stepford Cuckoos are about the only Army builder I'd ever go out of my way to get more of... just because there's a finite number of them. There are 5, so I'd buy 5. But anything with an infinite army... yeah... I don't bother. To have "enough" would be far too many (as far as my wallet is concerned that is)... so I'm content with having "Not Enough" in the 1 or 2 I get buying a normal wave.

So further unchanged re-issues would hold little interest to me.

I wouldn't, as others have said though, mind changed re-issues so much. Females, or different heads. That I could get behind. I'd prefer it if they still looked like they should match the existing army builders though. I'd be irritated if we got a new Skrull that looked absolutely nothing like the existing Skrulls we have.

But yeah... the Cuckoos are the only army builder I ever see myself buying 5 of right from the get-go.

Edited by Gillbob316

• 3 weeks later...

Since the topic of army builder dumps came up, what do we fans need to do to get Chuck on board for non-movie Marvel army builder dumps? My wife makes some awesome cookie bars (much superior to a normal cookie), but I just need to know how many to send.

Has it been asked in Ask DST? If it hasn't been done, I'm sure there's a reason. It may be a licensing issue, for all I know.

Since the topic of army builder dumps came up, what do we fans need to do to get Chuck on board for non-movie Marvel army builder dumps? My wife makes some awesome cookie bars (much superior to a normal cookie), but I just need to know how many to send.

Has it been asked in Ask DST? If it hasn't been done, I'm sure there's a reason. It may be a licensing issue, for all I know.

Many times. I think a few of us have done it in person too. The answer is usually along the lines of DST just not being interested in exploring Comic Dumps.

I think it's been asked lots of times, actually, to both Ask DST and at con forums. And I think the answer has been that he just doesn't think they would sell, especially not as rereleases. And I agree with him, personally, but I'm not an army-building kind of guy.