UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Mutants and AOA question

TM2 Dinobot

Hey y'all. I have a question.

I bought 2 New Mutants box sets to complete uniformed and powered versions of Wolfsbane and Sunspot. I also have the TRU set. I was wondering if someone could tell me what other characters would be needed to be parts swapped to complete the team? Also, could someone briefly give me a rundown on who these characters are? Yes, I did buy the sets not knowing who they are. I'm not really an X-Man guy.

If Zach is reading this, the bios on the back are a bit inadequate for a n00b. You might in the future think about listing their powers and personality rather than condensing straight comic book history.

Also, what AoA characters are needed to complete the major characters. I know Wild Child, but who else?

Thanks! Sorry about the new thread.

As far as I remember the one team member absent is Dani Moonstar and I think if you took black widows belt, a new mutant body, shockers boots and for a face and hair well she is an american indian so if it was me I think I would take a look at the long hair pieces in black, X-23 might be a good fit and maybe sans saref or the cylon babe from the BSG stuff I think her name was Tori both have darker skin tones. At least thats where I would start for a no paint QC

as for a run down on the team I will wait for our resident expert to make a showing for that.

the only two main members missing are dani and magma, but theyre coming out in 2012 ;) if you buy an extra warlock pack (or simply change the body of warlock) you can have a douglock minimate :)

birdbrain and legion are the only other new mutants i can think of that havent been made

It depends on if you're talking about the original New Mutants team or not. If you're going for all NM characters, there's also Boom Boom and Rictor (who'll be made soon) and Rusty and Skids to add to the list. And if you're being technical, there were the group that joined up towards the end of the series (Warpath, Feral and Shatterstar). But if you're just going original team, Moonstar and Magma are teh only ones missing.

Edited by groundhog7s

Hey y'all. I have a question.

I bought 2 New Mutants box sets to complete uniformed and powered versions of Wolfsbane and Sunspot. I also have the TRU set. I was wondering if someone could tell me what other characters would be needed to be parts swapped to complete the team? Also, could someone briefly give me a rundown on who these characters are? Yes, I did buy the sets not knowing who they are. I'm not really an X-Man guy.

Oh... is that all...

To "complete" the team, the only character completely missing is Cypher. He's the human face under the wacky Warlock head. But normally, Doug "Cypher" Ramsey was not covered in circutry and was/is a separate character from Warlock. As mentioned, Moonstar and Magma are coming out early next year at TRU. Cypher could be made with any "happy" normal caucasian male face and some blonde hair on Cannonball's body. Depowered up Magma, long-to-medium length blonde girl on the Karma body.

Legion (Xavier's insane son) and Bird Boy (mutated humanoid bird) were around the team for a while, but I don't think they were considered full members. Legion in particular has never benn stable enough to send on a mission. Same with Rusty and Skids, who were wards of X-Factor (the original team) before X-Factor rejoined the X-men. They were suppossed to join the New Mutants when Boomer and Rictor (fellow X-Factor trainees) joined, but it didn't stick. The New Mutants transitioned into the Original X-Force with Cable as their leader/mentor.

Briefly you say, eh?

Cannonball: Sam Gutherie is the oldest of a large family from Kentucky. A sincere young name, a bit naive. He creates a blast field around him that allows him to fly a high speeds while making him nearly invulnerable while the field is up. His power proved hard to control, at first he could not control his speed or change direction while in flight, like his codename. He eventually got the hang of it and today can use the blast field for offensive and defenive measures as well. He was the leader or co-leader of the team until Cable arrived.

Karma: Xi’an Coy Mahn a Vietnamese mutant who fled to America with her two younger siblings to escape their crimelord uncle. Has the power to nearly completely take over another's mind and force them to do what she wants. She had a couple of limitations; she could not force her victims to talk and at first she was limited in how many people she could control and to what extent. Essentially, the more people she tried to control, the weaker her control was. Past two people, the best she could do is "suggest". Has left the team several times, usually to care for her family.

Wolfsbane: Rahne Sinclair is from an abusive home in Irland, raised by an overzealous Reverend who eventually tried to exorcise her for being possessed of the Devil when her mutation manifested. She was rescued and taken in by Moria McTaggert. Rahne can transform into a large wolf at will. With practise, she learned to halt the process in the transitional stages to maintian both human and lupine traits.

Sunspot: Roberto da Costa is from a wealthy Brazilian family. We're talking his non-mutant father was wealthy/influential enough to be named Black Rook of the Hellfire Club for a while wealthy. Roberto's body constantly abosrbs solar energy, which in turn he can manifest by a Kirby-Kracklin' energy field that alows him super strength and resistence from harm. His body also appears to turn jet black, as he is absorbing even the visible light around him. With time and training, Roberto learned not only to increase his solar charged strength, but to use his powers for flight and power blasts.

Magik: Illyana Rasputin's story is hard to say briefly. She is Colossus' little sister, and has the natural mutant power of teleportation. When Illyana was 7 and visiting her brother in America, she was abducted by the evil Sorceror Belasco and take to the dimension of Limbo. Minutes later our time, Illyana reappeared as a teenage girl. Accounts vary as to exactly what happened in Limbo, but essentially Illyana finished growing up there as Belasco's apprentise, kicked his red tail when she was old enough, bonded both with a magic sword and a demonic soul, then went "home" to where she came from. Now a teenage mutant sword toting sorceress, she joined the New Mutants. To stop a demonic invasion from Limbo years later, she succeeded, but reverted to her "true" age with no memories of being anything else. Then she caught the Legacy virus and died. She got better. (And yeah that's the ridiculously short version)

Warlock is an alien technorganic mutant. He has the ability to transform into anything, and I do mean anything. He eats by infecting things with his technorganic virus and absorbing them. A member of the Techarcy race, Warlock is considered a mutant among his poeple for having developed complex emotions and not wanting to devore every organic he comes across. Fleeing his father, Warlock came to Earth and was taken in by the New Mutants, who of course taught him Earth culture though television. Warlock's best friend was Doug Ramesy, and the two teamed often with Warlock enveloping Doug and letting Doug's genius mind guide the spastic Warlock's power. Both eventually died. Warlock revived first, and took on many aspects of Doug, even calling himself Douglock for a while. With time a slightly more mature version of Warlock's original personality returned.

I'll hit the remianing members a little later, fingers tired.

If Zach is reading this, the bios on the back are a bit inadequate for a n00b. You might in the future think about listing their powers and personality rather than condensing straight comic book history.

I've only been writing packaging (or anything at DST) since May, so I didn't do those, but I HAVE tried to focus on character info over storylines in my bios, unless the storyline is crucial to the set. So by all means, let me know if you have any complaints about Marvel 41/11, Curse of the Mutants, Age of X, Heralds of Galactus, Universal Monsters Series 2, Femme Fatales Set 1, or anythign from here on out. Marvel approves all packaging text, and I have had changes made to stuff I've written. MVC3 text I condensed from official guidebook bios, but I added where more info was needed.

And I'll try to post some good Dani/Magma pics soon.

Edited by Zach Oat

Can I take this opportunity to say that the backs have looked much better since you've been doing them Zach. There have been some pretty bad bios in the past including misinformation and grammatical problems (GB wave 3 was bad), but they're looking much better now. I don't buy these for the bios, but it bothers me when products aren't even proof-read well.

Edited by groundhog7s

Okay, where was I? Ah yes, the three remaining members of the "core" New Mutants squad. But before that maybe a super brief overview of how the team was originally formed.

Way, way back in the 80's, when the X-Gang were still riding high on the post Dark Phoenix wave, our merry band of mutants were on the loosing end of a fight with the Alien Xenomorphs Brood. Sure they beat the bugs, but they were all infected with Brood embryos, so the whole team, except the not infected Prof. X, hopped a Shiar ship to the middle of nowhere to wait for their chests to bust to turn into Brood far away for anyone they could hurt. Well obviously, they got better. But while they were gone, Charles is persuaded to reopen the school to a new class of students, which he vows not to train for combat, but only to control their abilities. So Sunspot, Karma, Wolfsbane, and Psyche (later called Mirage) are recruited as the first few students, soon joined by Cannonball. Well as it turned out, Charlie wasn't Brood free after all, and the bug growing inside him influenced him to reopen the school to gather more mutant hosts for the Brood. The cured X-Men come home, and together with the Starjammers and the new students defeat/save Xavier. Xavier decides that despite the Brood dark intentions, a new class of students was a good idea and the New Mutants were born.

Now on with the bios:

Mirage: Danielle Moonstar is a Native American girl raised by her grandfather after a bear demon killed her parents. (that looks so weird written down) Dani's grandfather knew and trusted Prof. Xavier, so when Dani manifested her powers, he sent her to him. (which of course was coincidently when Chuck was looking for new students anyway) Dani's powers are hard to define, and they have been altered and augmented over the years. Originally Dani had the ability to make something of profound emotional significance from within someone's subconscious mind appear as an insubstantial illusion that everyone present could see. She usually stuck with people's "heart's desire" or "deepest fear" as these were easy for her to focus on. At first she had no idea what form the image would take, but later refined her control over what she could project, and learned to make the illusions only visible to the person she took the image from. In an Asgardian adventure, Dani became a member of Odin's Valkyrie, and was given a magic spear, a winged horse, and a "death sight" that let her see when a warrior was about to die. At one point, she could create solid phantasms similar to Mastermind, and even later she could fire "psychic arrows" from a bow. Her original codename was Psyche, but she soon switched to Mirage, and later still went by simply Moonstar. Dani's since switched back to Mirage. She lost her mutant powers with M-Day, but retains her Valkyrie abilities.

Magma: Amara Aquilla's powers are easy to define, her history is not. Magma as earth based abilities, she can create small earthquakes and is very good at causing lava to explode from the ground in small volcanoes. She seems to transform herself into a living lava form that can project waves of intense heat. Amara hails from a place in the Brazilian rain forest called Nova Rome. Nova Rome may be a hidden, forgotten Roman colony established by Julius Caesar, but taken over and ruled by the immortal mutant Selene. Or it might be a place where Selene forced a bunch of mind controlled Europeans she had kidnapped to recreate one of her favorite times in history. Either has been true depending on Marvel Editorials whim. Right now they seem to be going with the Roman colony idea. Either way, the NM gang had an adventure in Nova Rome and brought Amara home with them. Selene followed and became Shaw's Black Queen.

Both Magma and Mirage are scheduled for TRU wave 13.

Cypher: Doug Ramsey was first introduced in the X-Men as Kitty's computer science buddy. He hangs out with her and the X-gang until his own mutant power manifests. He can instantly decipher any written or spoken language, no matter how alien the origins. This also applies to computer and machine language, and any coded message as well. Useful, but not always in the middle of a fight. Doug forms a strong friendship with Warlock, and the two often work together in combat. Eventually, Doug is shot and killed by Dr. Moreau the Ani-Mater. He stays dead a long, long time. But since he's an X-Man, he gets better eventually. Doug's powers are now more fully realized, allowing him to read body language and predict tactics. No pure Cypher minimate is planned to my knowledge.

Also, what AoA characters are needed to complete the major characters. I know Wild Child, but who else?

What do you consider major characters? Anyone who appeared in their own book? Who was a part of an X-Team? Or Just those who appeared in Astonishing & Amazing X-Men?

Rogues team from Astonishing is mostly complete. However, Magneto's team from Amazing has been left largely untouched. We still need Storm, Quicksilver, Iceman, Exodus, Dazzler, & Banshee. If you want to include unofficial members who appeared in that book, it'd be worth having Bishop too. Nanny & Charles also featured, but i'm not sure anyone would call them 'Major Characters'. Although - Chares' kidnapping is what leads to Magnetos capture.

Each team in the AoA universe was charged with a different task - all of which tied into the one central plan to restore the world to all it's 616 glory. X-Calibre were sent to retrieve Destiny to verify Bishops stories of 'another world'. Generation Next were asked to find Illyana in order to travel back in time to stop the death of Xavier, The Externals were asked to return a piece of the the M'kraan crystal from the Shi'ar to allow Illyana's power to pin-point the right place in time/space for Bishop to return to. Forge's Brotherhood are charged with protecting Nate Grey until he is old enough/strong enough to be used as a weapon against apocalypse/making sure he doesn't fall into Apocalypses hands. Weapon X acts as a mutant liaison to the Human High Council, assisting them to plan a nuclear strike on North America should all else fail.

Age of Apocalypse was a strongly written series which tended to keep each set of characters in their own books with their own objectives, while all still contributing to the larger plan/story. So it's a bit hard to say what one would class as a 'Major' character. they all had their own important roles to play, and unlike today, Wolverine was not the lead character in 5 different books.

While i would dearly love for all of the characters to be made one day - i would probably classify the head/team leader characters of each book as the more Major ones:

Colossus & Shadowcat (also known as 'chain-smoking b!tch' in the AoA) from Generation Next.

Gambit from the X-Ternals.

Storm from the Amazing X-Men (I wouldn't say 'no' to Bishop, Banshee & Quicksilver too).

X-Man & Maybe Forge from X-Man.

Nightcrawler and Mystique from X-Calibre.

Havoc from Factor X.

Maybe Angel too although he didn't feature as heavily in the series.

We already got Jean & Logan from Weapon X.

I doubt we'll ever see characters from X-Universe.

It'd be good to see some more villains: The Sentinels, The Madri, The Infinites, Rictor, Domino etc . . . But i think DST has already made what it considers 'Major' villains from the Aoa (Apocalypse, Holocause/Nemesis, Beast, Cyclops). Still - it'd be great to see at least the rest of the Horsemen made: Mikhail and Abyss.

Edited by Nessex

I'm happy to see more New Mutants and 90s X-Force team members...

If we can get a 90s Colossus and Forge, and maybe a Banshee with a classic costume Banshee as a variant, that would make me a happy camper as those guys are the only ones needed to complete the 90s Blue/Gold X-Men teams of the 90s. The fact we haven't gotten them yet given the time where for a few waves we were getting a lot of 90s X-Men in them is surprising.

Heck, we've completed the Excalibur team, and are going to close to completing 90s X-Force as well... Maybe we should get 90s X-Factor to complete the whole 90s X-related theme. XD

To me the differences between B/GXM Colossus and GSXM Colossus are pretty small. IIRC it's a difference of boot top shape and size of the bracers. But Forge, Banshee, and Classic Sunfire are kinda surprising omissions considering how many more X-folk have been made relative to other groups. (the number of Avengers and X-Folks are pretty close on paper, mostly because the Avengers keep adding members at an insane rate these days) But the second X-Factor team would be a fun set to have.

This is where I throw in my obligatory "But not before Kang, Falcon and the Whitman Black Knight."

Heck, we've completed the Excalibur team, and are going to close to completing 90s X-Force as well... Maybe we should get 90s X-Factor to complete the whole 90s X-related theme. XD

Yes... yes we should :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post them after the new year. We have so many new assortments being solicited/announced this month, I'd like to give them some space.

WooHoo!! I can wait if it means more NEW minimates announcements!! Any chance of a new movie series to replace Ghostbusters once it's done? You do NOT have to tell us which property it us (unless you are able to :biggrin: ) but after all the video game & indie-comic love lately, I'd love to see more movie/TV licensed properties, especially as expansive (multi-waved) as Ghostbusters was!

New Minimates announcements make excellent Christmas gifts! :biggrin:

Whoa, I never said I was announcing a new LICENSE! Just new assortments. I'm still waiting to OFFICIALLY announce Marvel 44 -- BBTS jumped the gun, and while I haven't asked retailers to stop posting it, I haven't sent it out to everyone, either. Also waiting on some art for 45, to jazz that one up.

But we'll have new licenses to announce at NYTF. Possibly sooner, but probably not until January.

Whoa, I never said I was announcing a new LICENSE! Just new assortments. I'm still waiting to OFFICIALLY announce Marvel 44 -- BBTS jumped the gun, and while I haven't asked retailers to stop posting it, I haven't sent it out to everyone, either. Also waiting on some art for 45, to jazz that one up.

But we'll have new licenses to announce at NYTF. Possibly sooner, but probably not until January.

No worries, Zach! I never said that you said anything about a new license, I'm just verbalizing (or typing) my desires! I'm just hoping to see more movie/TV properties because I'm a little tired of video game properties :)

No pressure intended Zach, I really appreciate your presence here! I don't demand or expect anything, I'm just offering my 2 cents :biggrin:

Edited by monkeycrumb

we've completed the Excalibur team

Not to me. I still want Kylun, Cerise, Widget & Micromax. :unsure:

Wait, I can come up with a full wave:

Kylun & Micromax (includes a mini version like the SS from Heralds set)

Widget (includes original head only accessory version of Widget) & Ahab

Cerise with Shi'ar Bug armor with extra parts for normal version (Troop Builder) & Feron

Cerise with Shi'ar Bug armor with extra parts for normal version (Troop Builder) & Pete Wisdom (Variant)

Come on, what better way to troop build Shi'Ar shock troopers?