UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's up with Mother Nature?

Lurch77

Mother nature has been craxy this year. It is normally super hot and super dry all summer here in Utah but we have had 3-4 thunderstorms a week all summer one of which blew down the fence in my backyard! :verymad:

Glad though that I don't have to deal with earthquakes (although I do live on a fault) or hurricanes. Hope none of our members are adversely affected.

Edited by gambitron

Not to mention that it hasn't rained in the South in half a year, and they're currently saying no more rain this year. Or the flooding in the rest of the country. Or the 1,800' of snow that got dropped on the east coast, and in the old north west. And that's just America. Sudan it hasn't rained in 3 years. Another earthquake in China. Arab Spring all over the Middle East.

In all seriousness, one has to wonder... Labor pains and all that.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Yeah, felt little of that VA quake down here in Raleigh. That was... odd. Ah well nothing to do now but wait for the hurricane and see what we get here. Going to be a week to remember, that's for sure.

No. Man Made climate change doesn't exist. This is what we stupid, closed-minded people like to call "weather." ;)

What really ticks me off about this is the VA quake lasted like 2 seconds. So what do they do? Evacuate DC. Give these criminals MY tax dollars to take the day off because the ground an entire state away decided to do the Pony Pokey. Ugh.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I know a 5.9 isn't really funny hah,hah material but wow, I can see that conversation going down-

(Minor shudder)

Government employee A:Did you feel that?

Government employee B:What?

Government employee A:Did the ground just shake?

Government employee B:I'm not sure. It could have. I think it did.

Government employee A:We should probably clear out of here for the day.

Government employee B:That's solid thinking. Uh, will I still get paid?

Government employee A:Of course!

Government employee B:Right, see you in the morning!

What really ticks me off about this is the VA quake lasted like 2 seconds. So what do they do? Evacuate DC. Give these criminals MY tax dollars to take the day off because the ground an entire state away decided to do the Pony Pokey. Ugh.

Now let's be fair, brony-boy, the ground shook for about 15 to 20 seconds here. And who in DC, when the ground starts shaking, thinks "Earthquake". Most folks in DC figured it must have been some kind of really big bomb somewhere close. Was it worth wall-to-wall coverage it got? Oh heck no.

But I had spaghetti this week! I did, I swear it! And the pizzas, oh the pizzas I've eaten, all in the name of the Meatball in the Sky!

In my most humble estimation, 2011 can suck it. If these next couple of months don't shape up, well, I'm not above ripping a few pages out of the almanac and pretending the whole year just didn't happen.

I'm sure 2012 will be a much better year!!!!!

Nostradamus predicted the end of the world in 2012 from the return of Y2K.

Y2K12 The Revenge of Windows 95!

Imagine the world suddenly thrust into 1996 technology! Gone are smart phones and broadband. Gone are stock derivatives and unmanned drones. Gone are HD TVs and Blu-Ray players! Gone are Hybrid and Electric cars. In this post apocalyptic nightmare the scattered remnants of

society struggle to survive. "How do I make a phone call without Bluetooth?!?!?" scream the survivors.

This is the nightmarish hell we face next year.

Nostradamus's predictions are actually all a crock of sh*t when analysed . If I recall what I read years ago when I was into his stuff... he never actually put any of his prophecies in chronological order. Legend has it that his quatraines or whatever were encoded & then shuffled to confuse the catholic church's police who would have deemed his work as heresy & blasphemy. Obviously a lot of his stuff is fascinating & trust me I have been amongst the fascinated but you can interpret his stuff to suit your mindset.

My comments above are based on my recollections of what I read years ago & I've not googled diddly today so if I've got anything wrong, sue me.

All that I'm watching from the US on the BBC this morning is scary ,stay safe .

I saw as thing about him on the history channel and what you've just said about him is pretty accurate

Everything on the BBC is scary stuff, I switched to CBBC long ago!

Hope all our US friends in the effected areas stay safe

Edited by winkerbean

Sweet. Mercy. Did you know there's a hurricane headed for the east cost? It may even be a tropical storm when it hits New York City. They could get rain!

Seriously. It's like these people have never seen a big thunderstorm before. Let me put this into perspective for you. The average sneeze is 90mph. The fastest sneeze ever recorded was 102mph. That's the speed of a Cat 2 hurricane. And we're talking about a 50mph Tropical Storm. These people are panicking like it's the end of the world. It'll be fine.

I watch BBC world new more than any thing else, because they have a more global perspective.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Ah but most US news agencies are headquartered in, you guessed it, New York. It's always a bigger deal when it's coming at you. Not sure where you live, Chopperface, but Raleigh is as far away from the South Eastern Coastline as I've ever lived. Not my first storm by a long shot. But it's always the case that these things get you nervous when they look like they're pointed even close to you, cause for all they're technology and gages and gizmos they "experts" are guessing. I've seen them take unexpected left turns and go straight inland, one even hit the coast, went out to see, turned around and came back. And after the several hours of rain that always accompanies these, even a tropical storm force gust can put a tree through your living room very efficiently. Not that this is a big worry in New York City, I'll grant you.

And this sneeze has already caused one confirmed fatality here in NC, lots of power outages, some wrecked houses, flooding, and trees down as far west as my neighborhood. No it's not the big deal the media was making it, and yes we've seen worse even locally (Fran was a real fun night, let me tell you), But it's still a nasty piece of work that can ruin your day rather efficiently. You wanna laugh at the apocalyptic rhetoric of the media, feel free, but let's not discount what this thing is actually doing, 'Kay?

I am by no means discounting the danger of hurricanes. People should prepare. But I am also of the opinion that people should be prepared for disaster, PERIOD. Not just when the... "media" says to.

I'm just incredibly jaded. We had a class 1 go into the stretch of no-mans-land between Houston and Corpus a few years back, before Ike. They sent a news crew down and he reporting went something like this.

"How bad is it there, Frank?"

"Well, Bill, things are starting to pick up. We haven't had any rain yet really, but the wind is starting to gust. If you look over to my left here, you can see we had a few leaves blow off this tree. So we have about 3 or 4 leaves scattered on the ground from this storm. The experts are saying we'll be in the eye in about 15 minutes, and as you know the back half is usually worse, so we'll see then."

Yes. Stop the presses. Some leaves blew off a tree. Oh, the horror. At that point I turned into a cynical, jaded realist who realized that it would be a TV producer's wet dream to have an actual literal panic in the streets with people screaming as they run past the cameras. And that was the last time I watched local evening news.

Be prepared. Have a disaster bag ready at all times. Don't listen to the media. They lie, because they want ratings.