UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How far do you go for Minimates

Upon their initial release I managed to miss out on both Classic Heroic Age Thor and Special Opps MAX set. The former because he came with three characters I did not want re-hases of (costume variants are one thing, dupes (especally of the red and blue Spidey costume; re-hasses of that is turning me against it!) are another), the latter because I didn't get interested in MAX until it was a bit too late.

Last night I was recently outbidded on the two I mentioned above. I was surprised by how much the Thor minimate went for in the end, as my max bid seemed ridiculous for a single minimate but I was sure it would guarantee I got him (to put it another way, it would have been cheaper if I bought the original set he came in AND with shipping to the UK). I didn't quite go that high for the other set due to me being a bit short on funds at the moment but still.

After the initial frustration on missing out on mini figs I was sure I was going to get, it got me thinking about others who may have been invovled in epic bidding wars and how far they have gone in the heat of an auction and ultimatly how much they have spent. When the Bullseye/Moonstone TRU exclusive initially came out, I ended up winning it at $40, not counting shipping. A little over a year later I found and bought a loose version of Bullseye for my parts box at around $8. So please, tell me some of your similar stories on auctions you have either won only to realise after how much you spent, or auctions where you walked away after it going past a stupidly high price.

when I first got into mates I was very selective about who I bought. After a bit I started being not so choosey as a result I found myself in a bidding war for a loose single Rhino when it was still a "mystery" figure. Bidding hit 50.00 by the time the auction closed and I had no Rhino. 2 days later I picked up a set at cost. The experience has colored all of my MM purchases since.

The only mate I know I way overpaid for is the X3 Jean Grey variant. I can't remember the specific price, but I bought one froma member here and it was the most I've paid for an individual Minimate (including some never released figures). Now they're next to nothing when bought from Hong Kong. :rolleyes:

And Peter, you do know that Thor is still available here for retail price. If only you had someone who could help you out...

Hmmmmm. I think i bought a loose Martian Manhunter for some thing like $36. That was pretty steep, i thought.

I have also been guilty of purchasing an entire wave for a 2-pack. I came a bit late to the game and originally was only buying X-related characters... so later on when i contracted a mild form of completionism, i had lots of waves to catch up on. I ended up buying all of Wave 13 again just so i could get the DOFP Variant pack that i had missed the first time.

I'm sure that I've paid way too much for way too many figures. But I get through the day by letting my subconscious store that stuff away in little file cabinets of my brain that I do not open.

One instance of going too far that it doesn't shame me too much to admit to, though, is the whole AFX Web Armor Spidey nonsense. For those who weren't around at the time, this figure was originally only available to AFX for free when you spent a certain amount of money on their site (possibly on Minimates alone. . .can't recall that). And they had such fantastic stuff available, including BSG waves 2 and 3 for something like $25 a piece. So, I ended up spending something like $80 on their site, on crap Minimates that I didn't really want and ended up being worth very little, essentially to get 3 of those rare Web Armor Spidey figures that couldn't be obtained anywhere else for any other price.

Of course, later AFX sold off its stock to other companies that sold them for $2 a piece or so, PLUS he was re-released at Toys R Us. So, I bought into the belief that this was a truly rare figure that would be hard to find, and paid the price for it.

Edited by karamazov80

Yeah, I did the same thing KA. We were all duped that day.

FYE was closing I hit 3 stores in Houston. I put probably 150-200 miles on my (mom's) car (not unusual for Houston) and spent $200ish on BSG Cylon builders. That was both fun and horrible all at once.

As for monetary... Ask me once I get my school check and have a choice between a computer and an order at Luke's.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Well Dr. k80, at least you got a lot of figures for the price. It's not like you spent more than that amount on just one figure from a line like, say Hot Toys or something. That'd be ridiculous spending a ton of money like that on just one figure.

Edited by groundhog7s

Well Dr. k80, at least you got a lot of figures for the price. It's not like you spent more than that amount on just one figure from a line like, say Hot Toys or something. That'd be ridiculous spending a ton of money like that on just one figure.

Are you kidding me? I just bought a custom figure without a body for 3 times the cost of a typical Hot Toys figure. Now that is a ridiculous amount of money to spend :lol:

But you're right, I did get a lot of figures. . .boring civilian-ish figures I didn't care too much for to begin with, which were eventually available from BBTS and CSC for around $10 per wave or less including variant. At least Hot Toys figures rarely lose value, in most cases appreciate in value, and in many cases increasing value substantially. I'm not here to make an argument that folks should buy for the value of your toys or anything, but it's nice knowing that your collection is worth at least as much as you paid. And from that perspective, there's a heck of a lot less regret involved when you buy a Hot Toys figure for $160 that is worth $250-300 a couple years later as opposed to spending $80 on 4 sets of BSG Minimates that are worth half that much down the road.

Here's an example--I paid $150 for one of these about a year and a half ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-T-800-1st-version-Terminator-T2-Arnold-/230590676612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b0467e84

BSG:

http://cornerstorecomics.com/index.cfm?page=shopping/shop&Product_ID=314&Category_ID=0&ChildCategory_ID=

I guess this seems a bit off-topic, but I mention it because it's the issue of regret in terms of lost value. And I don't really think the different lines are all that comparable, since they are so fundamentally different, but still. . .

Edited by karamazov80

I just bought a custom figure without a body

Is that a tricky way of saying a head?

I recently paid a heavy price for Martian Manhunter. I'm pretty happy to have him though. Otherwise I've never really dropped too much on toys. Although, after seeing the pics of the upcoming Hot Toys Christopher Reeves Superman... I think I'm going to need that... and then the cycle will start anew.

Is that a tricky way of saying a head?

No, a custom "Bill the Butcher" head, outfit, knife set, and custom chest piece:

20110817114042m.jpg

Put together, he'll look a bit like this:

20110814043345cont-Copy5.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

I know that you can't compare the lines and I also know that HT stuff is a better invest than gold it seems. It's just that I think in terms of quantity than opposed to quality. I'd much rather have a ton of figures for the same price as a few nicer end ones any day. But that's just me and I used the same logic when having children. But I suppose whereas I'm happy with four kids there are people who might be happy to have one custom made child with no body. to each their own I guess.

But that's just me and I used the same logic when having children.

:lol:

Hot Toys is a great value in the short term, but I do figure it's gonna go the way of baseball cards and '90s comics in the long-run. So there's also that to consider. Too much speculative investment crap going on.

Toys are not an investment. They are not going to fund your child's college, no matter how many times you tell your wife that so she won't nag you about how much money you're dropping on them. You buy them because you want to have them. If someday you decide you no longer want them, you sell them and hope you make back some of what you spent. Sometimes you get lucky and you make a good profit.

I try real hard not to overspend on eBay mate hunting. For instance I'm looking for the CapTTA's right now (it simple never appeared retail here and I missed it on-line) and I've promised myself I'm not paying over $25 on it. (including shipping) I may end up breaking that promise eventually, but for right now I've managed to refrain from getting caught up in a bidding war. On the other hand, I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I am going to wind up paying a lot more for a Hydroman than I am ever going to be happy with for a single mate.

Toys are not an investment. They are not going to fund your child's college, no matter how many times you tell your wife that so she won't nag you about how much money you're dropping on them. You buy them because you want to have them. If someday you decide you no longer want them, you sell them and hope you make back some of what you spent. Sometimes you get lucky and you make a good profit.

But I think you undergo a different mind-set when you start collecting pricier toys masquerading as "collectibles." Or at least, I did. When I just collected Minimates, Joes, and Transformers, what did I care what their value was gonna be? Like you said, I bought what I liked and if they weren't worth a nickel down the road than who cares? I wasn't spending vast sums of money on them or anything. But now, I am spending vast sums of money on stuff. And though I collect because I enjoy collecting, the consideration of longer-term value plays more of a role if I'm gonna dish out enough money to remodel my kitchen for a couple of toys. It would be much harder for me to justify buying these things if I thought that they weren't going to, at least, maintain their value, because by my nature I'm a financially conservative person who hates debt and doesn't take undue risks. That may shock some who would see the amount of money I spend on stuff nowadays, but I can tell you that my expenses are ridiculously conservative ones in the majority of cases.

I'm really not thinking of them as an investment that will appreciate in value, but I am concerned that they don't depreciate in value should I need to re-sell. Maybe I am deluding myself in thinking that way, and maybe I'm not collecting for the purest of reasons (i.e., sheer enjoyment of having a thing, no other considerations need apply), but it seems like a reasonable perspective to me. . .particularly since I tend to lose interest in things and move on. There is a fair chance I get away from 1/6th scale figures in the not-too-distant-future. And if so, I'll be able to buy a car with the proceeds :D Could I do that with my Minimates, even though I've got several hundred if not over 1,000 of them? No way. At least, nothing newer than 15 years old with working A/C.

I try real hard not to overspend on eBay mate hunting. For instance I'm looking for the CapTTA's right now (it simple never appeared retail here and I missed it on-line) and I've promised myself I'm not paying over $25 on it. (including shipping) I may end up breaking that promise eventually, but for right now I've managed to refrain from getting caught up in a bidding war.

Maaaan. I hate to hear that. A couple of weeks ago, I managed to win that set for under 25 shipped. The seller had a couple more that would've been the same price, but it looks like they've been sold. Bummer. For what it's worth, now that I have the set, I realize I would've been happy even if I spent more than 25. Up to 27 would've been ok.

I think Minimates and 1/6 Scale items are on completely different levels. I love my Minimates, but I don't see them in terms of dollar signs. In fact, even though I paid a lot for the Martian Manhunter, I feel a lot better if I, in my mind, spread the cost over the Justice League. If I were collecting 1/6 scale items, though, I'd want to know that they keep their value. I mean, those guys are an investment.

@Dr. K80- My friend, if the idea these are not going to immediately be worth less the minute you open the box and display them helps ease your mind about what you paid, that's great. But you're taking the out, displaying them in cool poses cause you like them and think they're neat. Don't feel guilty about it if you can afford them. You worked hard for your degree, I'm guessing you have a pretty good job, and as long as no one else in the family is going without, then don't kick yourself for indulging in the higher end of the hobby. You earned it, enjoy it. Day may come when you can't. I would if I could, but I can't so I don't. And I don't begrudge those that can.

@turtle- oh you are killin' me here. Glad you got it though.

And yeah I know to some extent there's a different mindset between $4.00 pieces of plastic and the toys that cost as much as my first car. But at the end of the day, collecting is collecting, be it Happy Meal toys or Jay Leno and his car and motorcycle collection. You do it because it makes you happy.

You do it because it makes you happy.

Yeah, it makes me happy to leave my favorites MIB and stored away in my closet. :blush:

I got caught by the stupid Web Armor Spidey promotion too. Other than that, I don't think I overpaid too much for any minimates except a Black Spidey pack near its peak days ($40 give or take, I think).

And I'm sure those who bought the Gold and Silver Spideys went pretty far.

When I read the title of this thread I thought, "Well, I drive to San Diego once a year."

But I've never really gone overboard on eBay or caught in a bidding war. I have missed out on a lot of neat rarities as a result though. When I didn't get the Ozzy Wave 2 Box Set(s) that showed up a while ago, I beat myself up a bit. It doesn't hurt so much now. :) Now that I think about it, I have spent more than I would have liked for a single Minimate just because it came in a different package. The Battle Damaged Spider-Man single pack cost me somewhere around $25. Not bad, just more than I thought it was worth.

I'm actually more ashamed that I bought a teen vampire(?) book to get the Kyra Minimate. (I even made sure to pay in cash so that it didn't get added to my customer profile.)

But you're taking the out, displaying them in cool poses cause you like them and think they're neat. Don't feel guilty about it if you can afford them.

I really feel more shame than guilt about my collecting obsession.

I think the most I spent on a single retail set was the wave... uh, 5 variant, Un-masked Daredevil. He was a Daredevil body with a Matt Murdock head. I paid £15 for the set, as I got caught up on bidding and didn't want to let that one go.

I go pretty far. Like Philadelphia to San Diego far every summer. Price wise I spent about $50 on the Warpath/Angel set. I think that is the most I ever paid for a minimate set.

But I think you undergo a different mind-set when you start collecting pricier toys masquerading as "collectibles." Or at least, I did. When I just collected Minimates, Joes, and Transformers, what did I care what their value was gonna be? Like you said, I bought what I liked and if they weren't worth a nickel down the road than who cares? I wasn't spending vast sums of money on them or anything. But now, I am spending vast sums of money on stuff. And though I collect because I enjoy collecting, the consideration of longer-term value plays more of a role if I'm gonna dish out enough money to remodel my kitchen for a couple of toys. It would be much harder for me to justify buying these things if I thought that they weren't going to, at least, maintain their value, because by my nature I'm a financially conservative person who hates debt and doesn't take undue risks. That may shock some who would see the amount of money I spend on stuff nowadays, but I can tell you that my expenses are ridiculously conservative ones in the majority of cases.

I'm really not thinking of them as an investment that will appreciate in value, but I am concerned that they don't depreciate in value should I need to re-sell. Maybe I am deluding myself in thinking that way, and maybe I'm not collecting for the purest of reasons (i.e., sheer enjoyment of having a thing, no other considerations need apply), but it seems like a reasonable perspective to me. . .particularly since I tend to lose interest in things and move on. There is a fair chance I get away from 1/6th scale figures in the not-too-distant-future. And if so, I'll be able to buy a car with the proceeds :D Could I do that with my Minimates, even though I've got several hundred if not over 1,000 of them? No way. At least, nothing newer than 15 years old with working A/C.

Actually I kinda object. Legos always retain their value, SW ones especially. You can have a set that's loose and it'll double in value in 5 years.

I bought three Goth Girl books just so I could get three Goth Girl Minimates. I now have one sealed and one opened, don't know how much I want to charge for it on eBay. I'm allowed to charge an obscene amount since it's the only one on the market and I know people on eBay pay crazy money.