UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How far do you go for Minimates

Well all I know is that my G/F doesn't know why I even bother collecting mini mates. She says all I end up doing is buying whatever new series comes out, play with them for a few minutes and then put them in little baggies and into a storage bin. The most I payed for a single set would have to be around $35. Forgot which one it was though. As for collecting in general, I rarely leave any mini mates in their boxes. Usually the ones that are, are the ones I don't really like and also happen to be the variants. If I really like the variants I buy two so I can open one of them. But I really don't bother thinking about their future value. Whether their worth a lot later on is inconsequential to me.

Hell, I buy the 1/6 scale stuff from Hot Toys too. Anyone who knows that stuff knows that they are not cheap. But I open them and "play" with them not really caring how much they are gonna be worth. With minimates, I buy what I like and what I can afford. But with the Hot Toys stuff, I tend to buy only what I like and even then, I come out having to sell other stuff on eBay just to get the ones I want. But all in all one has to have fun collecting these things and not let anyone tell us otherwise, unless it really taps into one's livelihood and causes serious problems.

On the other hand, I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I am going to wind up paying a lot more for a Hydroman than I am ever going to be happy with for a single mate.

How much of 'completionist' are you Mirymate? ie: do you need to have the waterblast accessories he came with, or are you happy with just the figure loose and sans power-effects?

I've actually been lucky with getting 'mates that later on get expensive when they first come out. I've been buying since Series 3 Marvel and have gotten most all of the variants/exclusives for retail price. I think I paid around $20 for the X-Force Angel/Warpath and probably around that same (with shipping) for the Bullseye/Moonstone.

What gets me is when I go back to buy 3rd and even 4th copies of figures I love. Dr. Strange, Hercules, Sub-Mariner (Invaders)... that's when it gets costly for me.

[How much of 'completionist' are you Mirymate? ie: do you need to have the waterblast accessories he came with, or are you happy with just the figure loose and sans power-effects?

I would rather have him w/ the accessories. If I got one without, I'd just feel compeled to try and find the waterblasts later. >shrug< They just need to re-release ol' Bench so I can cross his name off the list.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought three Goth Girl books just so I could get three Goth Girl Minimates. I now have one sealed and one opened, don't know how much I want to charge for it on eBay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AList_of_ethnic_group_names_used_as_insults#Goth

I'm not the one who named her Goth Girl, that is seriously her name. The name of the book is Goth Girl Rising.

I bought three Goth Girl books just so I could get three Goth Girl Minimates. I now have one sealed and one opened, don't know how much I want to charge for it on eBay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AList_of_ethnic_group_names_used_as_insults#Goth

I'm not the one who named her Goth Girl, that is seriously her name. The name of the book is Goth Girl Rising.

It was quite a good book. I'd actually love one of those mates if you're serious abut selling one.