UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek Into Darkness

MisterPL

You know, back in my day, half the Art Asylum board was dedicated to Trek! Imagine my disappointment when I come to the Arms and, only six months away from the opening of a new Star Trek film, there's no topic for it! Travesty!

Anywho, it's time to catch up! Watch the

the teaser trailer here, and then come back to speculate about this image:

Khan_zps3e238759.jpg

You know, back in my day, half the Art Asylum board was dedicated to Trek! Imagine my disappointment when I come to the Arms and, only six months away from the opening of a new Star Trek film, there's no topic for it! Travesty!

Anywho, it's time to catch up! Watch the

the teaser trailer here, and then come back to speculate about this image:

Khan_zps3e238759.jpg

I don't know about that... what's the evidence we have on this being Khan other than slightly similar wardrobe?

For a long time I was hoping Khan wasn't in the film at all. And I'm still okay with that but plenty seem to insist that he is. They point to the "hands on the glass" shot that echoes Spock's death in TWOK. Then there's the inclusion of Carol Marcus, who was introduced in TWOK. They even stretch and say, "Well, this IS Star Trek 2... from a certain point of view."

But if Abrams & Company really want to resurrect a villain from TOS like Nic Meyer did with Khan, there are plenty of others and two who fit Cumberbatch's character so far.

The favorite has been Gary Mitchell, a Starfleet officer who introduced Kirk to a blonde he almost married back in the second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before." He's close to the right age but in that story became a demi-god. Not sure what a guy with such power would need with weapons and starships.

The dark horse is Garth of Izar. He's a former captain who was badly injured in a battle but healed by an alien race. While they could teach him to repair his body, they couldn't repair his mind. He ended up being sent to an asylum for the criminally insane after ordering the annihilation of the aliens who helped him. He was a contemporary of Pike so Cumberbatch is a little young but it's a new timeline and Garth gained a shapeshifting power as part of his healing. That healing he was taught might be what his character was referring to in the 9-minute preview.

Now I'm thinking Cumberbatch's "John Harrison" is simply a new character with a secret, one that has to do with eugenics. I'm beginning to think that Khan is in the movie but he only shows up for a cameo at the film's end, as a possible set-up for a sequel. Or not. Either way, I can't wait for May to get here.

Honestly a retread of the space seed/TWOK episodes/movie would seriously disappoint me. That scenario got played out very well the first time around IMHO, doing a retread of that set up would be too much like another remake of Psycho. I much fonder of the idea of a revamp of a old character in a new way, some one like Mitchell or Garth seem like winners. I guess I just can't picture how a decent set up for Khans revenge would get set up in a single movie, lets face it ST2:TWOK was inspired screen writing.

I think Mitchell works well in what we have seen, as for weapons and starships for a demi-god, if it starts out in the same way as the episode those powers are new to Mitchell they could be easily played out as taking a longer time to develop than they did in the episode giving the special effects crews a chance to strut their stuff with some fancy space battles instead of Gary just blinking things out of his way with the wave of a hand.

Edited by BannersID

We're back in Kirk's time... is it too much to ask to just fight some more Klingons?

Cause I'm with BID, a retread of Khan does not interest me. The cool thing about the last Trek is it did something no Trek has done for a long time- covered new ground. Hate to abandon that idea so soon. This is quickly looking like a big budget Legion reboot: younger, hipper, sexier ways to retell the same darn stories.

Just re reading this thread and it occurred to me a great old school character that could play into this "new" universe would be Trelaine and his race. It ties to the original series in a way much like Spock (Nimoy) and its wide open for new possibilities or something as simple as the original character seeking revenge on his old playmates. I really don't mind new takes on old things but movies that wind up being nearly shot for shot remakes, well you know.. Also I have to agree some kind of good ole fashioned slugfest with the Klingons would be the bees knees.

We're back in Kirk's time... is it too much to ask to just fight some more Klingons?

Well, we do see Klingons (in helmets) in the trailer. They may play a larger role. Tha said, as eager as I am to see Abrams' take on Klingons, they're kind of the Lex Luthor of this franchise; a bit overused.

Well let's not be shocked if Khan is in this. But MrPL... that Garth idea is bloody brilliant. He was a Pike contemporary you say? What episode was he in?

Whom Gods Destroy. And I wish I could take credit for that idea myself but it's been bouncing around for a while now. I wasn't that familiar with the character until I did the research and thought, "Holy crap! That really could be Garth."

Half? It was like herding cats to keep them quarantined in their half of the board :biggrin:

Just hearing Cumberbatch's voice-over on the trailer gives me chills. I'm thinking he'll be some genetically-engineered Khan-like character; just not named Khan. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more parts of the story borrowed from tWoK, especially the whole Genesis project. The last film borrowed a good bit from tWoK already (ex. the Kobayashi Maru test). I hope they keep exploring new ideas too; the mix of old + new worked really well.

Just hearing Cumberbatch's voice-over on the trailer gives me chills.

Some think that he sounds suspiciously like a Picard. After Nemesis, I hope they don't go down that road.

He certainly might have ties to Khan but I'll be surprised if he's actually playing Khan. I'm all for new characters. Just because it's a new timeline doesn't mean it has to be a complete retread.

In other news, Zachary Quinto was on Conan recently. Check out the silliness.

just having a poor day and sat down to re-watch the first trek film to take myself out of the moment a bit. The first thing I notice is in the opening when young kirk is blazing down the road in the corvette, when he passes the kid on the side of the road I will be damned if he doesn't wave and cry out "HEY JOHNNY!!" Maybe I'm just desperate to know whats going on in the new movie (spoilers never phased me much) but it could just be there is unseen or un-filmed story that gives history between the john harrison character and kirk. that said I think we will be seeing an all new character that would seem for now to carry traits from all three front runners of speculation, if j.j. manages to tie things into the first movie to give things that air of continuity like a small detail such as driving past a future antagonist like what I'm speculating and brings an feeling of familiarity by bringing reworked characters/concepts in, like tos spock or an amalgam character like we might see in harrison, I would be real sad this is only set as a trilogy for now. if this is the path being carved I am desperate for this to make its way into a weekly tv show of some kind, I would tolerate a certain level of outright retreads and all for something like that.

TOS was a HUGE part of my childhood it was and has been kind of gut wrenching to watch the stars of that show age and fade off and know there would be no more new adventures from that cast. The J.J. project actually gave me a lot of hope in seeing new adventures from familiar characters. Please do better than Uncle George here J.J., please.

Trek fans being compared to a "herd of cats" makes me smile in a big way, herd of cats, lol.