UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Food Trucks @ SDCC

storm 1:08

This is more to spread the word out to people going to SDCC this week who don't like the crappy food in the convention center.

I'm quite into the gourmet food truck scene in San Diego and I am happy to find out that there are going to be local food trucks appearing during the show. Of the ones listed, I've tried most of the trucks and they are all good. Here's the info:

http://sdfoodtrucks.com/food-trucks-at-comic-con-2011/

And it's located across the street in a parking lot (1st/Island/2nd/J lot).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1st+island+intersection,+san+diego,+ca&hl=en&ll=32.710774,-117.163782&spn=0.006391,0.009645&sll=32.709352,-117.163698&sspn=0.006166,0.009645&z=17&iwloc=A

Apparently Warner Brothers and Disney will be in the same lot too.

Just thought I'd point it out to anybody going. :)

I'm not even going to mention food trucks in the UK that are mostly found at fairs or carnivals

I'd like to mention George's Kebab 'truck' that is equidistant from my house & my local pub . On the way to the pub ....I'm thinking last Saturday 4.20 p.m. .........I look in disgust at the roasted 'elephant's foot' twisting in front of the red-glowing griddle wondering who in their right mind would imbibe such foul renderings. On the way home from the pub......I'm thinking last Saturday 8.45 p.m. .......I find solace in the wonderful taste of traditional Turkish cuisine ,the legendary doner kebab :rolleyes: wrapped amongst fresh :whistling: salad & pickled green chilli-peppers served in a beautiful brown styrene box that I have paid a mere £4.85 for ..... :sick:

By the time (what's left of ...) my digestive system has processed this 'delight' in conglomeration with the 'couple of pints ':blush: ...... I'm thinking last Sunday morning 7.45 a.m. ....... my back-passage resembles something mostly found at fairs or carnivals.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Hmmm food carts are BIG thing here in Portland, there are "Pods" (yes that's apparently the correct collective noun for food carts) of them all over the city and for the most part they serve some pretty good and very reasonably priced food. I don't remember there being much of a scene when I lived in SD so it must have recently blossomed?

All the talk of food and SDCC brings back memories of Nervous, Eagle(Who's Eagle!) and Shane mocking me for loading my backpack with granola bars, candy and "fruit snacks" for the long days at the con... only to be thankful later for the free mid afternoon sugar burst when I broke out the snacks.

IMO at SDCC it's best to eat a healthy/hearty (depending on where you are staying) breakfast, graze during the day on the above and then eat a full (pub)meal later in the evening washed down with many beers & tales of geeks from the day.

This year is the first since I moved that I feel I'm going to miss out not being there for SDCC. :(

T.

Because of the food trucks?

It's probably because it's been long enough that I've forgotten most of the negatives and my memories are very rose tinted these days, well that & miss the annual beer fest with the guys.

T.

Hmmm food carts are BIG thing here in Portland, there are "Pods" (yes that's apparently the correct collective noun for food carts) of them all over the city and for the most part they serve some pretty good and very reasonably priced food. I don't remember there being much of a scene when I lived in SD so it must have recently blossomed?

All the talk of food and SDCC brings back memories of Nervous, Eagle(Who's Eagle!) and Shane mocking me for loading my backpack with granola bars, candy and "fruit snacks" for the long days at the con... only to be thankful later for the free mid afternoon sugar burst when I broke out the snacks.

IMO at SDCC it's best to eat a healthy/hearty (depending on where you are staying) breakfast, graze during the day on the above and then eat a full (pub)meal later in the evening washed down with many beers & tales of geeks from the day.

This year is the first since I moved that I feel I'm going to miss out not being there for SDCC. :(

T.

Who is Eagle?

Hey Tim, have you been to the frying scottsman?

I agree, your snacks were clutch ... and that breakfast place near yor old pad was great... i don't quite remember the dinners for some reason. I still remember Shane's bike pilot ;)

Who is Eagle?

Hey Tim, have you been to the frying scottsman?

I agree, your snacks were clutch ... and that breakfast place near yor old pad was great... i don't quite remember the dinners for some reason. I still remember Shane's bike pilot ;)

Frying Scotsman.. Yep, he's now a block or two away from where I work and does great chunky chips! (More a winter than summer food though) - Our current 'food cart beau' at work is Brunch-box which does amazing and yummy burgers that make you feel like you should eat them on the way to intensive care because a coronary is on the way.

I'm curious how someone from your neck of the woods knows specific Portland food carts?

As for Shane's pedicab girl, I do remember her but not as much as the photo with Shane's face as he admired the view! :)

T.

p.s. Seeing as we are talking SDCC in jokes, I have a couple for you Nervous... Afro-tube-bobbler-guy! Or "The Readhead"

Fizzy water with lemon and that damned guy with the packet of crisps. Two things that have been hammered into my brain after an SDCC marathon with the crew.

Food trucks have not caught on here but New Orleans has a cuisine all its own. Chain restaurants never make it here, I can't see food trucks doing much better. All the food trucks around here are catering trucks for all the movies filmed in the area. One of the buildings that Paralax destroyed is (still) standing across the street from my office.

We need to drag Josh and Eagle out of the moth balls and get another sdcc crew trip together. All of us in Aaron's place?! You going this year BHM?

We need to drag Josh and Eagle out of the moth balls and get another sdcc crew trip together. All of us in Aaron's place?! You going this year BHM?

I've already started sulking, I was OK until I started remembering what SDCC is really like ....great fun & to a degree almost surreal.

Unfortunately I won't be there & although I've said (twice) I wouldn't go again I may well change my mind :rolleyes:

I have fond memories of both my visits & the guys I met.

I have few memories of food.......generally .

Beer however is a different matter. :thumbsup:

I'm still laughing at the bobbly afro guy, and fizzy water. we should have won more with out photo entries for the contest! ahh, the redhead peeking thru the glass cases of toys, i remember her well

Tim, I have a lot of family in oregon, and washington (or as my grandmom says it, warshington) but, technically, i saw that food cart on a show two days ago, lol. I actually think next year could possibly work for me coming out there for SDCC. let's start planning now :thumbsup:

Throwing this out there: what if all you Minimate vets came to SDCC next year for the ten-year anniversary of Minimates? We could crash the panel with cupcakes and beer or something crazy. Do a big blowout! C'mon!

I actually think next year could possibly work for me coming out there for SDCC. let's start planning now :thumbsup:

Add me to the list of possibles for next year, my Nephew from the UK has been bugging me (for nearly a decade) to take him to SDCC and I think he's finally old enough to make the trip to the US on his own.

T.

Our current 'food cart beau' at work is Brunch-box which does amazing and yummy burgers that make you feel like you should eat them on the way to intensive care because a coronary is on the way.

That menu is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Add me to the list of possibles for next year, my Nephew from the UK has been bugging me (for nearly a decade) to take him to SDCC and I think he's finally old enough to make the trip to the US on his own.

T.

Add me to the list of possibles too...!

When it gets closer to next year's event, I'll talk to the guys at Diamond and see if there is interest in some joint celebration stuff. I think a display of customs would be incredible publicity for the minimate line. There is some serious talent here.

Man, y'all are weird. We've had taco trucks here in Houston forever. Good food, cheap, just don't plan on sitting down for a week. Also, it's not usual, but had been known to happen. Check for a trunk full of dog collars.

So, wait, 2 conventions next year? Madness! Where was all this support for my C2E2 plan? http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=9729