UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

GI Joe 30th Anniversary

Hi all I decided to kick start a nerw thread for the upcoming 30th Anniversary line of Joe figures.

I will state that I am biased as I'm a GI Joe Collectors Club member, big time fan and active over at the tank.

I am super excited for the new 30th line starting this fall and was lucky enough to see them first hand at the CJoe Con in Orlando this past weekend.

I could sit here all day trying to convert my minimate friends into Joe fans but I'll let the photos do the talking. So please feel free to checkout all the amazing new product that start the line in the Fall and sound off, I can't be the only real American hero on this board.

http://crimsonmonkey.com/previews/gi-joe-con-2011-30th-anniversary-line-photos/

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The characters that are in the style of the 25th Anniversary are pretty cool, but I'm not digging the majority of the Renegades redesigns. That Firefly, in particular, is very disappointing.

I may get the Lifeline, Airtight, and Sci-Fi to go with my 25th Ann. collection.

Are you also not a fan of the cartoon?

I love the designs but mostly because they capture the look of the show. I won't display these with my other ME figures but they still have my attention.

Oh and not sure if it's able to tell in the pics but Airtight's helmet is removable. Very excited for him.

Lifeline better not be packaged with that gun :verymad:

The characters that are in the style of the 25th Anniversary are pretty cool, but I'm not digging the majority of the Renegades redesigns. That Firefly, in particular, is very disappointing.

I may get the Lifeline, Airtight, and Sci-Fi to go with my 25th Ann. collection.

I feel similarly. Nice seeing some classic figures finally getting their due, but the Renegades designs do nothing for me (I tried to watch one episode and couldn't get through it--in part because of the animation style and character designs).

I've gotten completely away from this line (focusing on Sideshow's Joe stuff), but I'll have to try and pick up Airtight, for sure. He is the first 3 3/4" Joe I remember getting as a kid. Then maybe Sci-Fi and Law and Order. I never did get Lowlight, so I guess I'll have to backtrack for that one, too. . gah!

I never did get Lowlight, so I guess I'll have to backtrack for that one, too. . gah!

LOL! When I was a kid, I 'Frankensteined' a Ripcord and Hit & Run into a character that I called "Backtrack"!

I did the same with V3 Snake-Eyes and V2 Storm Shadow that I called "Shadow Snake", but my brother (who is 9 years older than me) affectionately referred to as Eye Shadow. :unsure:

I used to love combining my Joe's, especially when they would break. All those damn broken thumbs... :lol:

Edited by youbastards

I spent more on Joes in 2010 than I did on Minimates (and I even bought a Silver Spidey last year!). I started collecting 25th Anniv in 2009 when all of those figures went on clearance sales. Since then I've been army building loose lots of figures from Ebay and regularly raiding the discount stores. I am utterly hooked. I'm embarrassed to admit I have over 50 Vipers and several hundred Cobra blueshirts. I joined the Collector's Club too and I'll be signing up for the subscription figures.

The 30th Anniv figures are looking amazing. I can't wait!

I'll be getting most of these for sure. Most of my money has been going to Joe recently anyway. I'm really excited for the Zombie. Also, I love how Lifeline has a gun :D

I believe Hasbro said the Zombie Viper is a "Variant" for the Hazard Viper. So I'm already worried about finding that one.

I spent more on Joes in 2010 than I did on Minimates (and I even bought a Silver Spidey last year!). I started collecting 25th Anniv in 2009 when all of those figures went on clearance sales. Since then I've been army building loose lots of figures from Ebay and regularly raiding the discount stores. I am utterly hooked. I'm embarrassed to admit I have over 50 Vipers and several hundred Cobra blueshirts. I joined the Collector's Club too and I'll be signing up for the subscription figures.

The 30th Anniv figures are looking amazing. I can't wait!

I'm definitely in for the subscriptions. Nothing to be embarrassed about troop building. Hell the main reason I went to the con was to get the mission Brazil pack, I'm a huge Python Patrol fan and had to have those troopers.

I only bought a couple of the 25th Joes, and they were pretty cool but some of these new prototypes look like a huge step up. I'm definitely grabbing Sci-Fi, Law & Order, the Cobra trooper, and Zarana... oh and this guy looks awesome:

post-1800-0-27726900-1302205087_thumb.jp

Also psyched to finally get the Steel Brigade dude like 20 years after I got sent a lousy Snake Eyes instead, from the mail away thing. My inner 8-year-old is still mad! :angry:

Big fan of the 25th line. I will pick up the 30th too. Im a huge Storm Shadow geek. I'm ticked i passed on the sideshow figures like snakeyes and Storm shadow. I have Cobra Commander and now I want more. I went crazy on the 25th line i think I bought three deep of every character. Now i just have ton sitting in my basement. I have no clue why i bought so many. I think it was the case of the inner child have disposable income. Thanks for sharing the links. I didnt realize they were doing this. I'll have to find this collector club.

I'll be skipping the Renegdes stuff, but unfortunately I will probably blow all my cash on being a near complitiest like I did with 25th and RoC and Poc. :(

Right now I am drooling over that SDCC Starscream and both Zaranas.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I'll be skipping the Renegdes stuff, but unfortunately I will probably blow all my cash on being a near complitiest like I did with 25th and RoC and Poc. :(

Right now I am drooling over that SDCC Starscream and both Zaranas.

Not sure if you saw the packaging for the Starscream but I snapped some pics and it looks amazing!

http://crimsonmonkey.com/features/gi-joe-con-2011-san-diego-comic-con-exclusives/

I also got sucked into Joes recently... I picked up some of IDW's Classic GI Joe trades for $3 around Christmas and it stirred my blood up for the things, and they were fortunately still hanging around the discount stores. I'm glad that Hasbro's getting back to 25th ann style; POC figures are very nice, but they just don't say "GI Joe" to me. But I'm really excited for some of these new ones, and can't wait for them to come out. Especially Airtight!

I must say im pretty excited for a few of the ones they showed at the JoeCon.this is going to be a great summer!!

I really thought I was done with the Joes. I have been signed up at the club so I can get Dial-Tone (even though I hate the shoulderpad/armor, even hated it on buzzer). I picked up the new snake eyes with the two heads recenlty and lowlight, which are two of the best ones they have made in my opinion. I am totally going to pick up the airtight, lifeline, and sci-fi. I am trying very very hard not to be suckered in by the skystriker (too many good memories with the old one). These new sculpts are beautifully done, and I am digging a bunch of the other new stuff/characters as well

I guess I am not as done, as I thought I was, lol

I think the best thing about the 30th line is that it proves that something is possible-a big name company can do what fans want and do it well (and make money from it)..

I've got to agree with the Groundhog. Gi Joe appears to have slowly shifted into a line primarily targeted at the hardcore collector. I'm not complaining but since POC slowly started this sales appear to be up as stores around me sold out often of Joes and the only ones still on the shelves are the common Snake Eyes and Destros that were stocked int he cases.

I just hope the next movie doesn't take the line 2 steps back.

The sad thing is that the ROC figures aren't bad per se. The sculpting and articulation is fantastic. I think the figures sold well given the massive overpromotion and lackluster movie. The design choices for ROC were weak though. I don't think a line of all black-clad action figures sells very well despite appealling to older sensibilities. Kids love neon and the occassional black-clad ninja, but ROC uniforms were overall too dark and uninspired for a toy-line aimed at kids.

I'm glad Hasbro has retreated to focusing on the collector, but I suspect the business plan is to appeal to kids in the mass market with the release of GI Joe 2. I think the figures for GI Joe 2 will be more limited in articulation and more kid-oriented (neon colors, talking microchips, action features, oversized weapons, and heavy reliance on Snake Eyes - similar to the current Spider-Man line of 3.75" figures).

• 4 weeks later...

The sad thing is that the ROC figures aren't bad per se. The sculpting and articulation is fantastic. I think the figures sold well given the massive overpromotion and lackluster movie. The design choices for ROC were weak though. I don't think a line of all black-clad action figures sells very well despite appealling to older sensibilities. Kids love neon and the occassional black-clad ninja, but ROC uniforms were overall too dark and uninspired for a toy-line aimed at kids.

I'm glad Hasbro has retreated to focusing on the collector, but I suspect the business plan is to appeal to kids in the mass market with the release of GI Joe 2. I think the figures for GI Joe 2 will be more limited in articulation and more kid-oriented (neon colors, talking microchips, action features, oversized weapons, and heavy reliance on Snake Eyes - similar to the current Spider-Man line of 3.75" figures).

I never quite understood Hasbro's decision to pull back on the 25th anniversary line and only do ROC figures; I don't see why the market couldn't have supported both. And the POC figures are very nice, but... they just don't say "GI Joe" to me. Even though it's right there on the package. You know what I mean.

Moving back towards what worked before is a good idea. I'm excited for lots of these new figures; they're colorful and hit both the "modern" and "nostalgia" buttons. Really can't wait for these guys!

• 3 months later...