UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that many people at Marvel (& Hollywood ) tend to forget the circumstances that brought the US into WW2 . The Nazis are continually rolled in front of us as the bad guys which of course they were but there was another country that actually attacked the US to bring them into the war......Japan. I haven't seen a Captain America comic in years that actually shows him fighting anybody from that country yet issue after issue we get Nazis & modern neo-Nazis & pseudo-Nazis whilst the movie just side-steps the issue.

Because if we looked long and hard at Japan as a bad guy, we'd find that 1) through our treaties and trades, we actually pushed the Japanese into attacking us. And 2) the Japanese were committing holocaust-like atrocities on the people of Korea and China since 1933, and we just let them get away with it for 6 years. 3) We idolize Japan now. Look at how much of our culture and youth look up to the Japanese. Which is a reflection of American. And around and around. I think people viewed Japan as the US's problem, while Germany was the UK's. It's always easier to complain about your neighbor's naughty kid than your own. 4) They're asian. We're doing good to note that they exist.

Just a few thoughts. Some tongue in cheek. Some not.

You certainly know how to walk the line Dino but your enlightened comments show that you know your history. Our fictional heroes should IMO reflect reality & I have no agenda that might reflect badly on present-day ,Japanese (carefulolheadsmate) society but let's not select our moments of history ...that is appeasement.

Back on topic .....so..o..o....o... Hitler was shoved in the cupboard ?! Will he get some company? I guess so . I really like this Doctor but aren't we getting a tad too clever for ourselves?

• 2 months later...

Just read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15730665

Hmm a Dr Who movie, first thoughts could be cool but could be confusing as well. As it seems to be hinting at it wont be tied in to the current Dr Who continuity and is it seems a stand alone.

if it was me throwing out a movie idea. I would go the multiple Dr route using as many of the current Dr's that are still around and CGI the rest(I've said for a multi Dr episode before and I think its one thing thats been missed on the current series). It could be some sort of timeline prequel plot which will give newer Who fans a glimpse into the history.

2013 will be I think the 50th anniversary of Dr Who so it would be the perfect time for a multi Dr thing.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Interesting. I am at the beginning of Season 5, so this may have been covered in episodes I have not seen, but maybe they could show the Time War where all of the timelords and daleks (ha!) perished. Or perhaps revisit the Time War (using multiple doctors like you suggested!) and prevent it or change the outcome.

I saw both of the original Dr.Who movies when they were released in 1965 & 1966 ,both featured Peter Cushing as the Doctor ,both featured the Daleks.

I have fond memories of both but at that impressionable age I always remember the disappointment at all the changes they made to the basic concept of the Doctor Who I had been watching in the TV series ,Peter Cushing was terribly miscast & the new-style made-over Daleks looked odd .It didn't work but that's not to say that this new movie might work but there is one thing I am sure of & that's the fact that very few successful BBC TV shows transfer well to the cinematic makeover . Somebody will no doubt argue that there have been some that have but I'm struggling to think of any ! When the 3rd. TV movie was made in 1996 (BBC,Universal & Fox ) it did OK in the Who-starved UK but bombed in the US ....all bells & whistles but pretty dire as I recall.

Most of my favourite TV shows are US productions but I have grave doubts whether Hollywood will fare any better this time with Doctor Who because the show ....whilst not perfect....is in a class of its own right now & doesn't need changing .

If the movie takes the stance of being a "primer" of sorts for the whole Doctor Who Mythos, I'm all for it.

It should explain the basics in a stand-alone plot that could conceivably take place in-between any of the Doctor's incarnations... some "tinkering" may need to occur for that to happen, but I digress.

I can see it being a hit if they get a good story, charismatic lead actor (think Johnny Depp as Cpt. Jack Sparrow, but not necessarily Johnny Depp as the Doctor) and decent special effects.

Anyway, as a casual Dr. Who fan, I look forward to it!.

• 7 months later...

I am so behind and have just started watching Dr Who on Netflix. I saw a bunch of David Tennant while my wife was watching and so I am struggling making it through Chris Eccleston but am enjoying this show. Really wishing the minimates had made it to release!

Some news for the 50th Anniversary next year - Tom Baker will be making an appearance.

Definitely good news. :)

I am 6 episodes into Season 6. I really like the stories and the new monsters/aliens so far, but I find the Rory/Amy/Doctor dynamic to be a little odd this season. Hopefully that feeling will go away as the season progresses.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen the trailer for the latest season of DW and what I took from it is that they are back using the gold Daleks and not that I could see the coloured ones that debuted towards the end of last season.

For me thats a good thing as I'm not a fan of the coloured Daleks which is a bit weird as I really like the original Daleks that these have taken the colours from.

the new trailer makes this season look like a lot of fun, and as much as i love Russel, i do believe Moffat has really brought a huge load of fun to this show for new and younger viewers, as well as older ones

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the big day the Doctor is back!

I agree great episode, I was a little worried after the IMO so-so christmas special but loved this one, even though I saw the 'twist' well before they gave it away.

So the actress who is supposed to be his next companion is a Dalek, It's either going to be the quirkiest companion setup yet ( would they really have a dalek as a companion?) or he's going to go back in time to 'save her' or we've been sold a huge red herring!

T.

Thought Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was OK. It seemed really rushed. That may be a downside to the supposed "self contained episodes" mantra. Things just happened way too fast and the pacing seemed off. I loved the robots, however! They were very "Douglas Adams" and I chuckled at their last appearance.

Rupert Graves was good too.

Anyone else a little put off by:

The Doctor killing Solomon seemingly so callously? It was just out of character for the Doctor. Was this bad writing, or intentional?