UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek mates are "on hold"

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure don't buy Barbie. Seeing Star Trek Barbie dolls weirded me out too... they probably would have gone over huge several years ago, when Barbie was still one of the more dominant collector's toy lines in the market. Now... doubtful.

Seeing any Minimate license die saddens me greatly: I may not be a hardcore Trek or BSG fan, but these licenses going "on hold" just strikes me as yet another lost opportunity not just to expand my Minimate legion but perhaps to spark new and interesting things as well. Moreover I would've bought the new waves if they ever showed up here, just because. So count me in as another disappointed would-have-been-buyer for these "orphaned" mates.

This is why I gave DST shit for their TOS-heavy business model from the beginning.

As well loved as TOS might be, TNG was always more successful in terms of longevity on TV and commercial success at retail. Ignoring the next generation of Trekkie consumers was a mistake. I was glad to see them finally mix things up a bit by adding Picard but it appears to be too little too late.

Get some apology boxed sets out there ASAP. Stop making collectors buy two of the same character for the chase figure they want. NURTURE your market, don't exploit it.

It's a GOD-DAMNED MOVIE YEAR! We should be seeing Trek Minimates in fucking Toys R Us!

:verymad:

Hopefully because it's a movie year there will be some increased sales on wave 5 and the Mirror, Mirror set that will lead to more. It just seems like DST isn't taking advanage of one of the biggest hyped movies of this year. Even if the movie sucks, the older Trek series should be brought back into the spotlight. It might even be better for the older Treks if the movie is bad because fans will want something, but not the new stuff.

Barbie has got to be up there with Star Wars toys and Hot Wheels as one of the biggest and best selling toy franchises there is (for collectors and youngsters). Of course, those will sell better than Minimates ever could.

Barbie has got to be up there with Star Wars toys and Hot Wheels as one of the biggest and best selling toy franchises there is (for collectors and youngsters). Of course, those will sell better than Minimates ever could.

I have no doubt that Barbie is a well-established line in the toy world... I'm just a little skeptical on whether the Star Trek ones specifically would sell, since Barbie isn't exactly distinguished for their "scifi/movie collectible" stuff (not unlike the new giants in this industry, companies like Medicom Toys, McFarlane, Sideshow, Bowen, Neca, etc). At best the Star Trek Barbies would look like oversized Megos, so I dunno if these will particularly send the Trekkies into a zealous completist tizzy, or if they would be cool enough to catch the eye of casual buyers.

Having said that, if I were a Barbie buyer I would probably be interested only in the Uhura one, since Barbies are first and foremost girls' dolls and the Kirk and Spock dolls would carry too much of that giant Mego/creepy-Ken eunuch effect.

This is why I gave DST shit for their TOS-heavy business model from the beginning.

I don't fault DST for going heavy on TOS in the beginning. Series 1 and 2 apparently sold pretty good. It was series 3 were things went wrong I guess. What gets me is that DST said a little while back (if my memory is correct) that if ST Minimates were to continue they would keep the same pattern. Well it would seem that the current pattern isn't working either.

Hopefully after the movie interest will pick up and some old stock will sell through.

I saw this in an article in USAToday. It's probably a little oversized. If anyone bought the Pocket Superheroes JLA table, that's going to be the scale. It's usable. I thought about picking it up, But I have the bridge model that I got off eBay.( I STILL haven't put it together yet :rolleyes: :tongue: )

maybe to find a silver lining in this...there is a new bridge playset for the new movie

it is scaled for 3 3/4 inch figures so it should translate pretty well for the original bridge crew

play_bridgeset_1.jpg

You know... I've got some of those old Playmates toys... This might just work with them.

It says that the bridge playset will only be $25.

You don't get the entire bridge:

The core set comes with a 3.75" Kirk figure and includes the floorplan map, captain’s chair, front console, view screen and two side screens. Additional bridge pieces will come with 3.75" figures to build out the complete bridge playset.

It says that the bridge playset will only be $25.

You don't get the entire bridge:

The core set comes with a 3.75" Kirk figure and includes the floorplan map, captain’s chair, front console, view screen and two side screens. Additional bridge pieces will come with 3.75" figures to build out the complete bridge playset.

And that is stupid. A good marketing scheme?? Yes; of course. However, i don't want 3.75 inches of crap for a piece of the bridge. I want the bridge sans the 3.75 inch craps. Oh well; Playmates, here i come... :confused:

I highly doubt that the Star Trek Barbie collection will be successful. Not only is this product completely out of line for the normal Barbie target audience, I believe all three are going to be sold as a set, exclusive to Wal-Mart. As a result, people interested only in the Uhura will have to purchase Kirk and Spock - likely meaning lower sales for the entire line as a whole.

As someone that collected the Playmates line in the very beginning (and had almost the entire collection), I find the news of this line being on hold very, very disappointing. As a big fan of Worf, I would have loved to have gotten a TNG and DS9 figure. Hopefully, there is still a chance of this happening.

I'll be heart broken if this is the end of Star Trek 'mates. They were just starting to get really awesome. I have to agree that Wave 3 probably didn't help this line. It was the only wave that I didn't buy any of. It was a few minor characters that I was luke warm about at best and of bunch of boring Kirk and Spock variants. Waves 4 and 5 were getting me really excited for the future of Trek 'mates. I love TOS, but I think they should have expanded into the other series sooner. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for some good news.

So if you want more Trek minimates, get out there and buy up those Series 5 and Mirror Mirror sets! :)

I need both of those... Maybe I'll find 'em at NYCC...

Nope, NYCC is now on "hold"!! I called to see what was going on, and the operator put me on "hold". :P

*edit* I meant this as a joke on how so many things are being shelved lately, but just noticed that WW L.A. & Dallas (old news, I know) had actually been canceled...WOW. I hope nobody was offended by my poor-taste post. What a crappy start to the New Year!

Edited by cdubya

• 3 weeks later...

'Get your free Minimate from a line that we aren't really showing right now'

I'm confused. If they were promoting Trek, it would make sense for the promo to be Trek. But why promote what you're not showing? I'm so hoping they just haven't shown images for the Trek stuff they have and that they are showing some to drum up interest.

Good news. Star Trek Minimates are back on. Just swing by Toy Fair for a free "Unification" Spock Minimate! Thanks DST. :down:

God DAMN.

Even when they move on to TNG they can't get away from TOS characters. No doubt this figure was part of a wave that included Scotty and decrepit McCoy from their appearances.

VARIETY, folks.