UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Minimate Factory: Updated May 5th

This is a bit website related, but Luke, that Tag Cloud, it is a thing of beauty!

Thanks, I love it too. Its kind of hypnotizing. :blink:

I know. I keep playing with your tags.

...Hmm, that didn't come out as dirty as what I was expecting. I shall now call tags, wonkies. Let's try this again.

I know. I keep playing with your wonkies.

MUCH better. :teehee:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am surprised that you actually flesh coloured the decal I thought I would have been easier to use a clear design and use the existing minimate flesh tone show through.

This surprised me as well!

I have tried that before, and then you don't get the white of the eyes unless you have a special printer than can print white ink. In theory you could paint two white dots on a minimate head, and wrap the clear decal so that the eyes fall on the white spots, but you would probably go through 50 decals before you got it just perfect.

I don't have such a special printer as well, and was facing exactly that problem while preparing the decals for my Dr. Manhattan. (Wow, self-marketing!) I used a translucent mate, so I needed to find a way to solve this problem. The way it turned out to be quite easy was to attach the face decal - which turned out to be not as hard as I thought - and then painting the two dots for the eyes on top of the decal. (This was the moment I realized, that the mates are really, really, really tiny fellows!) After that, I attached another decal with Jon's eyes on top of the painted one, so that the outlines came out - compared to my skills - pretty well after all.

Oh, and by the way, I do love your signature pic with the changing motives! And I do love to play with your "wonkies" as well. :D

I don't have such a special printer as well, and was facing exactly that problem while preparing the decals for my Dr. Manhattan. (Wow, self-marketing!) I used a translucent mate, so I needed to find a way to solve this problem. The way it turned out to be quite easy was to attach the face decal - which turned out to be not as hard as I thought - and then painting the two dots for the eyes on top of the decal. (This was the moment I realized, that the mates are really, really, really tiny fellows!) After that, I attached another decal with Jon's eyes on top of the painted one, so that the outlines came out - compared to my skills - pretty well after all.

Oh, and by the way, I do love your signature pic with the changing motives! And I do love to play with your "wonkies" as well. :D

That's a good idea! I will have to try that. And everyone here is welcome to play with my wonkies. :P

Except BHM. He's too old. ;)

Edited by luke314pi

Ohh wow! I was so expecting you to go all driller killer on your hand putting the holes in the stand. Anyway nice custom.

Yeah, Timbo pointed that out as well in the comments. It was definitely an accident waiting to happen. I need to learn to contain my excitement. :)

Update 12/19/08:

Review: Bake-On Decals

what category in the decal website were these listed in? i can find regular, but not "bake" ones.

The laser ones are here. It looks like I might have been wrong about there being inkjet ones. I have a laser printer, so that is what I used. However, perhaps the ease of applying the decals wasn't limited to the bake-on decals. Perhaps all of the decals this company produces are easier to apply. The standard ones might not be quite as strong, but as long as you aren't banging the minimates together they should hold up just fine.

Wow! Never occured to me that the final battle T-1000 would make for a great Sandman custom. That torso would also suit Mr. Fantastic recreating the scene in Secret Invasion when he got blasted by a Skrull.

Wow! Never occured to me that the final battle T-1000 would make for a great Sandman custom. That torso would also suit Mr. Fantastic recreating the scene in Secret Invasion when he got blasted by a Skrull.

Gee...thanks for that. Could've used a spoiler...:(

Anyway, that is really awsome. I was actually going to use it for a slow motion/freeze-frame thing and color it red to show a LOT of blood. Don't know who i was gonna use it for yet, but i figured some character who exploded at some point in either BSG or Marvel...

Gotta say though, i like how, even though that's just a Photoshop, the sand looks metallic. That'd be a pretty cool version of Sandman; metal Sand for the win. :P