What Are You Playing

neolego

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure who that question is directed at Pickle? My GOW2 had a key code for a multiplayer map. I just wrapped up Halo 3 and plan on trying ODST later tonight. After that I'll be going back to GOW series, so don't be surprised if I request some assistance in ending the first one :lol: It's unbelieveable how easy the 2nd one ends compared to the 1st one :confused: Speaking of which, did the NECA Kim vs General RAAM come out? I need that in my collection for sure.

Been playing more of this Ninja Gaiden game. It's pretty good! Starts out a little awkward because the controls are so different from anything I've played before, but gets pretty fun after you get the hang of it. Definitely worth the $10 I paid for it.

Did your GoW 2-pack come with the voucher for the GoW3 Demo?

Yes, its the demo they showed at E3. Graphically awesome and the gameplay is fun. Luckily, they worked in a flying segment for me to get stuck on, otherwise I figured this game would break the established streak created by the previous two games where they introduce a gameplay segment that I get stuck on for a month or so to separate me from people who are actually good at things like this.

Unfortunately Karamazov there is much room for improvement needed for Nintendo. I don't want to turn this into a console war, I've seen how bad they can get on other forums :yucky: But Nintendo needs to get with the program when it comes to their technology. Yes, you can argue "If it ain't broke, why fix it?", how will you know if you don't try? They need to do something to stay in competition with their competitor's, that's just business 101 :thumbsup:

Don't mean to chime in on the Console War, but I guess I need to add my 2 cents.

In all honestly, Karamozov is right, it's not "broke". In fact, Nintendo has dominated sales this generation. As much as hardcore gamers want to argue that Nintendo needs to make changes, they are a business and business's are started to make money and no one is better at that then Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, do I want a HUGE HD Mature Legend of Zelda title with downloadable content? Heck yes I do. But most of the times we talk from a fan perspective and not a business perspective. Nintendo is the best there is at what they do and what they do is make money. Shoot, I'm suprised they aren't printing it yet. I'm convinced that Nintendo could market a terd in a box and people would still buy it. People, it's a TERD in a BOX......That's it!! And it will probably be on the charts for multiple weeks. So, as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and Nintendo knows what they are doing and as long as weak casual gamers continue to spend their money they won't make a change.

Which brings me to the fact that I own a Wii as an auxilary system. I own all 3 home consoles and play more than 80% on my Xbox. Right now the only Wii game that I own is New Super Mario Bros. The only games I've owned in the past are Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. I will only now and ever purchases first party games that Nintendo puts them out because no matter what the hardware can do, Nintendo knows how to make software. At the end of the day, even with limited online abilities, last-gen graphics, moronic control schemes, and no HD video or sound capibilities, a Legend of Zelda is still a better title than anything Sony or Microsoft is putting out. So, I close by saying, while I'm not happy with Nintendo right now and think they are really limiting their hardcore market, they are still the best there is in the industry and the pile of money that Reggie sleeps on each night is a great testimony of that!

neo

To Donster, "necessity is the mother of invention." Sony and Microsoft had certain audiences they had to cater to to survive in the current market, and they figured out how to do that. Nintendo did the same. You might say that the Wii is behind in lots of ways, and frankly, it is, but they do what they do so well that I don't see any reason for them to start from scratch and try to re-invent the wheel. Neither do other videogame customers, apparently, based on their sales. I say that business 101 is understanding your customer base, and not trying to compete on a playing field that you don't need to enter, and probably couldn't compete on if you tried ;)

I actually like that these different companies are doing different things. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Halo or Call of Duty, sometimes I want to play Mario Brothers or Mario Kart, and I can enjoy all of it.

I'm convinced that Nintendo could market a terd in a box and people would still buy it.

Oh you bought a Gamecube then ;)

I think nintendo has done an awesome job of tapping the vein of people that 'don't do videogames' with the Wii.

I suspect though that 80% of those Wii's are in cupboards or under TV's gathering dust because people buy them and play sports or fitness socially then move on to whatever the next big thing is ( Just like rock band had it's non-gamer party fame but is starting to fade out). I'd imagine the attach rate for those Wii's is terrible & software is where console companies make the most money.

As for the software titles they produce, I don't see any great innovation when they are rehashing titles and characters from 20+ years ago, yes we get mario in 3D these days ( well sometimes ;) ) and yes they are cute and fun but IMO Nintendo doesn't seem capable of making decent new IP's these days or even supporting decent third party developers.

The lack of new IP's means that the Wii will get perhaps half a dozen(IF that many that are worth playing) new games every 3-4 years and for most videogamers that isn't enough to stop it from getting benched for a 360 or PS3 where new AAA titles are frequent and have new IP's( though not enough in my opinion but that is a debate for another day!).

I will admit that one thing that I dislike about the videogame industry these days is it's lack of imagination and new IP's because they can milk an existing franchise. I personally think nintendo has a lot to answer for in snowballing the "lets just rehash what we have because it's the safe moneymaking route" trend.

T.

OK, please tell me that ODST is going to pick up speed soon Neo? I can't remember which chapter it is, but it's right after Mickey and Dutch link up and I am bored out of my skull. I've started to figure out some minor things and did enjoy kicking ass in the multiple vehicles, but trying to locate the beacons can be mind numbing at times. Are the beacons the last thing the previous chapter person touched last or is there a clue to the whereabouts somewhere I'm missing? I enjoyed 3, but I'm just not feeling this one and a little bummed about that. Halo Wars was a little like this for me too.

TBT actually nailed it on the head. Most people praising the Wii don't know the actual numbers. While Wii has outsold both other consoles combined in Hardware, 360 makes TRIPLE the amount they do on games every year.

I was surprised to find out Microsoft actually makes the most money of all the consoles.

The reason? Every one buys a wii... And no games.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo still has money fights in their business meetings. Wiis sold more in december than any other month, beating their own record for consoles sold in 30 days. That number? 4 million. It makes my head hurt.

In the long run, all it means to me is that they BETTER have another game like the mario coming or, in a month mine'll go bnack in the closet.

Don, if you're looking for someone else for ODST, LMK. I'm always up for a little Halo action. Did you already blow up the bridge? Actually it doesn't matter, long story short, there are lots of great levels ahead... But more "wandering around in the dark" too.

The real fun is in Firefight if you haven't tried it. ;)

Yep, blew up the bridge and maybe you identified my problem with the game too. I like the actual missions, I'm not digging the rookie musical mystery tour. Finding the beacon's are driving me batty and I had to look at a online walkthrough to find out where it was. I know the visor pretty much tells me where the thing is or if I'm in the vicinity, but it just doesn't give me the location <_< I usually play after the family goes to bed or during the week when my son is lying down for a nap Nestle'. My settings are adjusted for privacy for my friends only.

Donster, I'm sorry you are having trouble. ODST didn't take me long at all. We actually beat it the first time in a weekend, and I beat it the 2nd time in one day. If you get to the area of the Beacon just turn on your night vision thing and you will see it highlighted in Yellow. There are several times it's up, so be sure you are looking all around. Your locator thing will tell you when you've left the area of the beacon, I honestly didn't have any trouble with this at all.

As for the game, I still LOVE the narative and again in my opinion it is the best of the Halo games. I will agree with Nestle though, the real magic comes in Firefight mode. You have to try that out before giving up on the game!

neo

Things are picking up on ODST now that we've rescued the superintendent, but I think I'm missing some of the extra background players. Like I said here or on another board, I like the flying and driving. If they had some challenge where I'm doing that, like on MW2, I'd have a ball. Makes me wish that LucasArt would come out with a Pod Race game just for kicks. Anyway, I might play the game again once I wrap things up. I just feel the piecing things together as the rookie drags down things. It's not a horrible game, I'm just not feeling the same magic I did with 3.

Makes me wish that LucasArt would come out with a Pod Race game just for kicks.

They did. It was on the N64 at least. Not sure about the other systems. It was called "Star Wars Episode I: Racer" Not the most creative title, however the game was mildly fun. Got tiresome after a while. But I could always go play Ocarina of Time for a day or two and come back once I throw my controller against the wall due to Water Temple. (I STILL cannot beat the Water Temple. I have had the game for 3 years and can't beat that damn temple.)

Sorry, I meant now for 360, PS3 and or Wii Trekker :wacko: I remember that I had the game for my computer back in the day, so I realize the likelihood of this coming out are pretty slim :lol:

I was addicted to (and equally frustrated by) that podracing game!

I picked up Wii Fit Plus last night. Not bad for $20. I've really been encouraging the kids to play Wii Fit so we don't pack on the winter pounds. They've been so into it lately that buying Fit Plus was a no-brainer. I'm looking to pick up EA's Active next time it goes on sale. Anybody played it?