UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rate the mates!!!

MINI_MYTE

RED TORNADO: Wow! Simple as he may be for a minimate, RT does not disappoint! His classic look is captured beautifully with his flared gloves and boots. That combined with his high collar cape and his yellow stripping and BAM, you got one sharp looking minimate. 10/10

MA HUNKEL: One of the very first obscure DC minis that I was not familiar with. After doing some research about this character I know that this golden age hero was indeed a fat woman. So... a "fat chest piece" with a belly and big old lady boobs would have fit the bill better than just the plain ol' chest block with no detail (other than her emblem). Something along the size of the Doc Ock gut piece (with breasts) would have done the trick nicely. On the plus side, Ma's bucket mask is adorable and the inclusion of her period styled hairpiece is just too cute. Another point taken away for the silver paint (from her mask) sticking to her chin tampoo and all around the base of her head. All 3 of my MHs had this problem. 7.5/10

MARY MARVEL: This is one sweet looking MM. Original skirt, cape and hairpiece make her unique. My only quibble is the lack of paint on her neck. 9/10

CAPTAIN MARVEL (SHAZAM): This is THE MINIMATE of the series for me! He surpassed all my expectations. Based off what we saw in the prototype pics of him , I was not all that impresseed. I didn't like the hair and I didn't like the big gap in the cape straps. But when I got mine the other day, I was floored with the final product. His hair piece is original and much better suited for him than the Deathstroke version. And his cape is spot on. No gaps! The detailing on the back of it is beautifully executed. His facial features capture the character to a tee. This guy is now in my top 5 favorite minimates of all time. What a surprise! 10/10

HAWKGIRL: She's probably one of the most anticipated MMs in recent memory. How did DCD do? Personally, I'll say the biggest problem is the way the wings are attached to the chest piece. By now most of you know that the Hawks wings have teeny ball joints that plug into 2 small holes on the back of their respective chest pieces. Some people on the forum have had breakage issues already which really does suck. I find that the holes on the chest pieces sit to high up on the back. So when HG's wings are plugged in, they push up on her hair/mask piece (which also restricts her side to side head pose ability). Maybe the they should have tried the using the unique chest piece from the never produced C3 Hawkgirl. Maybe this could've helped with the restriction problems. Other than that, the mate is adorable detail wise. Nice attention to paint apps, great facial expression and perfect accessory (her mace). HG also included a non masked hairpiece (that of Barbra Gordon). 7.5/ 10n

HAWKMAN: I like him better than HG only because he doesn't suffer from any head movement restriction.The chest piece is also more suited for him as it makes him appear more muscular but makes the ladies look more chunky. What with all the liberties AA is taking with sculpted heads as of late (Kilowog, Salaak, etc) you'd think that they'd make a unique chest block (not chest piece) for minimates with wings. Why not? It'd cut down on the bulkiness for one and give the characters more freedom of movement. Just a thought. HM's detail is outstanding from his mask to his flail and shield. The inclusion of a hairpiece is also welcomed and should be a standard with any masked, hooded or helmeted minimates. 8.5/10

GUY GARDNER: One of my most anticipated MMs to come out. What do I like about him? His hair piece (nice Moe Howard haircut) captures Guy's classic look. His big honkin' boots. Got to wonder how he walked around effortlessly in those. Unlike the Hal Jordan and John Stewart minis, Guy (and Kilowog) have GL rings painted on their hands instead of just a green dot. Very nice! Oh and what about the improved lantern battery? The handle moves effortlessly. Way to go DCD, nice fixer upper! What I didn't like? First off his jacket makes him look like he's got a beer gut and there is no pulled up collar. I think that my old Guy Gardner custom's jacket suits the character better (that's just my opinion). The official GG's facial features look like he's wondering about something instead of looking down right annoyed like he should. The facial tampoos also sit to high on the head and get obscures by his bangs. Lastly, Guy is missing his white stripes on the sides of his pants. DCD has been out doing themselves by capturing minute details on these characters, but they left those out. Overall he's good, but could have been better. 8.5/10

KILOWOG: My second favorite of the series! When I first saw the prototype pic for this guy I thought "Man he looks puny for Kilowog even in a 2.5" body." Boy am I glad DCD/AA decided to add a big chest piece to this guy. He looks WAY BETTER! Kilowog is also one of the first minimates to have a uniquely sculpted head. It's OK I guess. The facial design isn't quite what I would have liked, but that's just me nit-picking. I love the fact that his lantern is much bigger than the 2" GLs'. He's a fine addition to the GL corps and the world of minimates. 9.5/10

Shazaam! 10/10 - My favorite out of the series, I think he's great

Mary 8/10

Hawkman 9/10

Hawkgirl 9/10

Guy Gardner 7.5/10

Kilowog 7.5/10

Red Tornado 8.5/10

Me Hunkel 7/10

Red Tornado: He looks great! The cape is amazing and the details are beautiful. 9/10

Ma Hunkel: I love DC's vast history and Ma Hunkel here is no exception. I've always loved the mish-mash of colors she uses and her costume is well represented here. While I do agree with MINI_MYTE that she would have benefited by a bulkier chest piece, I think the "old lady boobs" would have been a bad choice since she often tried to pass herself off as a man. It's nice the see the return of the short feet and I love the pot helmet. I did also have the problem of some silver paint sticking to her face. 8/10

Captain Marvel: Absolutely amazing! This guy is near perfect. I love the new hair piece and his facial expression is spot on. The details are great, from the cape to the belt to the little lines running down the front of the boots. 9.5/10

Mary Marvel: Not quite as good as cap but still a great figure. The new hair piece is good but it's a little bit lumpy in front. 8.5/10

Hawkgirl: I love both of the Hawks. I really like how they did the wings. It's innovative and quite effective. I'm not as put off by Hawkgirl's chest piece as most other people seem to be. Personally, I think it looks fine. I dig the hair piece but it does severely limit head and wing positioning. 9/10

Hawkman: The Hawks are pretty much the same in my mind so I'll touch on the accessories here. I love the weapons and shield. I only wish the set had come with two shields or maybe a sword. I am a bit concerned about Hawkman's hair piece, though. I'm excited about it because I finally have the perfect hair piece for Ted Kord but the one I got has a greenish tint to it. I don't know if it's a widespread defect or not but it's very disapointing. 9/10

Kilowog: Awesome! Absolutely awesome! 2.5", big chest, big battery, sculpted head! I love me some Kilowog, ya poozers! 9.5/10

Guy Gardner: This is the one I was waiting for and it did not disapoint. From the boots to the belt to the gloves to the jacket to the hair to the cocky expression on his face, Guy is as near to perfection as I could have hoped for. I love that they're finally printing the rings on the hand intstead of the little green dots. I'm tempted to buy another GL set just to get the new style hand for Hal and an extra power battery for John Stewart. 9.9/10

RED TORNADO: Very awesome figure, love the new cape, and facial expression, there is not one complaint about this guy 10/10

Ma Hunkel: IMO this is the worst minimate ever, not detail or design wise, but character wise. Ive never heard of the character and did a little research like minimyte. So shes a fat lady in a costume. BIG WOOP! nothing cool at all! shes in my custom part box allready 0/10

SHAZAM!: Very cool figure! love every bit of him, hes got a lot of detail, and hes an excellent addition to the dc ranks 10/10

Mary Marvel: Not sure about the characters history, but i know that shes evil in the current comics, so ill just make her evil when i play with her. shes got very unique peices, and i love her hair sculpt, nothing really wrong with her, its just that she dosent scream awesome 9.5/.10

Kilowog: Pretty sweet! The only complaint i have is that i cant turn his hip, but besides that hes a bad ass! 9.8/10

Guy Gardener: great job turning this guy into a mate dcd! i love the bowl cut peice, and the jacket! for some reason he dosent really deserve a 10/10 so i gotta say 9/10

Hawk Girl: favorite mate of the series! i love the new peices, and the bulky chest dosent really bother me. 10/10

Hawk Man: Same as hawk girl, but his chest kinda does bother me. I know it would of been more work, but i would of loved to see just the straps as a seperate peice, and the chest painted on. 9/10

OVERALL: IMO this set isnt as strong as some as the others, but i still love it! Great characters (well most of them), detail, and accessories

pics

In the Wave 5 Pics thread.

Red Tornado: 10/10 I don't know what it is, but this little bugger is incredible. Very crisp paint apps and a GREAT expression on his face. The collar is just at the right height. Really, this is one simple but wonderful 'mate.

Ma Hunkel: 2.5/10 Eh. I'm all for the diversity of DC characters we've been getting, but I'm not a fan of this mate. I know there are plenty of JSA fans out there that are happy to have her, and good for you guys, but I, really, Ma Hunkel before GA Green Lantern? As for the mate itself, the hair piece is great and the face looks like a great interpretation of Ma. And nice use of the short feet. I also imagine this isn't the last time we'll see such a simple cape design (if we haven't seen it already somewhere else). The torso piece is really, really boring. Very much a step back when the rest of DCD Minimates have been moving forward. No detail. I think a fat-suit would have been better. Alright, you get the idea. So far, the worst of the DCD mates, but a few features save her from being a total zero.

Captain Marvel: 8.5/10 Another hit! I love this little man. His cape is fantastic. The hair, the expression, it all works so well. A few paint app problems keep him down a little. Overall, he wonderfully captures the Champion of Shazam and is another DC mate that, to me, is representative of this line's high quality

Mary Marvel: 7.5/10 So, so close to greatness. I would have preferred the white outfit. Really. There's too much red in this wave. Also, her face and hairpiece have some issues. Either her face is too high or her hair sits too low. Either way, the hair covers too much of her eye brows. Easy solution to just pull the hair up a bit, but I prefer perfection the first time around.

Guy Gardner: 9.5/10 Sweet. So very sweet. The jacket and hairpiece are great. I like the new ring design, but I don't know if I like it better than old design. The simple dot really worked on minimates. The only problem with Guy is the boot design. I've had the same problem with Steel, also an othewise great mate. These boots weren't made for walkin'. They were made for fallin' though.

Kilowog: 9/10 Very cool. His sculpted face looks much better than I thought it would. The only thing I don't like is the muscles painted onto his chest. Somtheing just looks a bit off there. Too much detail perhaps. The face though looks too good to keep this guy down. I'm actually excited now about the upcoming minimates that really step out of the design box.

The Hawks

Hawkgirl: 7.5/10 Hawkman: 8/10

The good. Weapons. Rad weapons. Spot on masks. Nice details. I also really like that Hawkman has a belt for a little extra height. Very cool.

The bad. The chest piece works on Hawkman. I don't like it on Hawkgirl. It doesn't ruin the figure, but it could have been better.

The ugly. I'm not feeling good about the future of the wings. Great idea, but they feel very week in the joints. It's worth point out that on both of the hawks, the left wing fits and moves better. Both right wings are far too snug and so don't allow much safe movement.

Overall: This is a great wave. One of the better ones, IMO. I really like that DCD took an opportunity offer a wave without any of the heavy hitters. Without tossing in one of the bigger guns, DCD gace the designs and accessories a chance to really stand out.

I'm really happy that we got a Ma Hunkel.

Why?

Because it shows they aren't afraid to make obscure characters.

And also because I was able to make a Forbush Man figure.

I'm really pleased with the whole series but don't dig the large Hawks chests and am still on record as being spooked about how well those wing joints will hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up this wave from ebay because i got tired of waiting for them to land at my LCS. Very happy with the whole wave again DC beats Marvel hands down on releases.

Shazam/Mary Marvel, The Cap'n is the standout of this pair for me I was very surprised to see that his cape had the embroidery molded and not just painted on.

Hawkman/Hawkwoman, Wow poseable wings and lots of extras hair pieces, maces and a shield again wow!

Red Tornado/Ma, Probably the weakest set from this wave but it just shows that anyone is a possible mate with Ma being made.

The GL's nice figures and the symbols on the rings instead of a green dot is cool. Cant think of much on these 2 but for some reason Killawog reminds me of a Pokemon but i cant think of the name.

The Hawks

The ugly. I'm not feeling good about the future of the wings. Great idea, but they feel very week in the joints. It's worth point out that on both of the hawks, the left wing fits and moves better. Both right wings are far too snug and so don't allow much safe movement.

I feel a lot better about the wings now. After a few days, the joints settled in, and on Hawkman both wings feel like they they move pretty well without the risk of breaking. Hawkgirl hasn't fared quite as well. The right wing is still a touch too snug and I can already see a small rip forming just outside of the joint. It's small, so as long as I'm careful, it will be ok. But I prefer perfect the first time around.

I'm very interested to see how this first generation of wings compare mechanically to the upcoming Archangel.

I don't remember - did we ever see a proto Hawkgirl from the C3 line, or just concept art? I'm curious if this is how the wings (and big chests) were originally conceived or if that plan changed once it got to production.

Protos I remember seeing were

WW

Lex

Grundy? (or was that someone's custom??)

Mr Freeze

Any others I've missed?

I don't remember - did we ever see a proto Hawkgirl from the C3 line, or just concept art? I'm curious if this is how the wings (and big chests) were originally conceived or if that plan changed once it got to production.

There was a proto C3 Hawkgirl shown at Toy Fair, I think. You can see it here.

As for other prototypes - there was a Grundy done in animated style. And Alfred in comic style, and the bizzare bright-yellow gasmask Batman.

I don't know a lot of background for these characters but I sure like the Hawks. They have great accessories and the wings are a great new thing. I love the look of the Red Tornado figure. In the end wethere I like the character or not or wether I know a lot about them they are new minimates which feeds that unedning hunger in me!