UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates series 8 revealed!

hypno

This line and the figures in it are fantastic. Finally a Titans team to form, an expansion of the Green Lantern and their all time greatest enemy.

When a company pushes their possiblities, you don't say, wait is it still technically a minimate? You applaud them. Look at how great Clayface, Brainiac, and Bane have been.

The torso on Salaak is amazing. These are the types of inginuity and inventing that pushes the envelope and define great toys, and help evolve toy lines into something great.

P.S.

Yes, they are still considered minimates.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This new wave looks amazing, I have been hoping for a Sinestro, ever since getting a Hal GL. Wave 8? I am really behind in the updates, I wasn't even aware they had announced who was in seven let alone seen a proto pic. Can anybody tell me who is in wave 7?

This new wave looks amazing, I have been hoping for a Sinestro, ever since getting a Hal GL. Wave 8? I am really behind in the updates, I wasn't even aware they had announced who was in seven let alone seen a proto pic. Can anybody tell me who is in wave 7?

Look here!

I think Salaak is fuel for the fire of both sides of the argument. On the one hand, his parts are hugely different than the basic minimate body. But on the other, the only way to make the character would be to make these huge changes to the standard look. I'm leaning towards accepting this character. Look at the Lego Squirdward from Spongebob Squarepants. His head is not shaped right and it really affects the look of the character. Slapping a round head on Salaak would take away from the exotic nature of the character.

As for the size difference, its hard to say. It almost looks like Sinestro is made from a larger scale figure, but too be sure his character wouldn't require the bigger look, a la Bane, Croc, etc.

Okay, I am uber-thrilled that we're getting Raven. Easily my favorite all-time Titans member. Cyborg's the icing on the cake in that pack.

Sinestro is also very welcome, as is any character who brings us closer to the infamous Legion of Doom. Salaak is... odd, but then he's kind of odd in the comics, too. I'd have done the head a little differently myself, he looks more like Sauron the Ptalking Pterodactyl than the Lantern's Internal Affairs officer.

Renee and Batwoman... kinda cool. I'll get 'em.

Can't say the same for Red Son Supes and WW, though. I mean, I might still grab them, but I'm not nearly as excited for them as I'd be for, say, Flash Rogues, Alan Scott, a Jim Lee-style Riddler, or a modern Blue Beetle. Still, they might grow on me in a years time.

An Alan Scott minimate would be kick ass. His original look from back in the day of course. Perhaps paired with Dr. Midnight? Ever since getting Wildcat I want a complete JSA.

Look here!

Oh, got confused. Sorry, thought the Clayface Wave was number 6, not 7. So many series due out now I can't keep them all straight. Thanks for the link MINI_MYTE. :)

4 days at a cabin in the mountains.. I come home and check the forum and BAM! WAVE 8! I couldn't be more pleased with Sinestro.. tho I was hoping for Kyle. I'm sure he'll show up eventually. I was surprised to get two characters from 52. With all the classics we were getting I thought we would see classic Question before the current one.. and Batwoman was a shock as well.. I don't know where either of those characters are going or who they are really connected to (except the G&L community.. not that there's anything wrong with that.) :) So display wise I wasn't too excited on that pair.

As far as Red Son.. looks like I need to read that one.. I've seen the toys and such for years based on it.. but like many of you all I know is Supes lands in Russia instead of Kansas and the story unfolds.

I LOVE ALL OF THE GREEN LANTERN LOVE GOING ON FROM DC. They had me hooked with Hal showing up in Wave 1.. Big thing now is what costume will Kyle show up in? My favorite was the last one he wore as a Green Lantern.. but with selections going from Modern to Classic I would say anything could happen.

Fun to come home to new minimate news (even if its a year away)

Vox

I was at the convention all 4 days.

And these figures looked GREAT.

I'm bummed about the Red Son stuff but I hope some others will be happy with them.

Getting a Salaak is the bee's knees and the cat's ass!

Plus, that Montoya question minus the hair peice with a Rocky or Marty McFly w/hats will make a perfect original Question.

Hi guys, I do not post very much in these kinds of threads. I would just rather read them, and have loads of fun doing so. Having said that, I have been a bit disappointed in these last few waves. I think a lot of it is just I think we are seeing these in such an early stage, and in my opinion, they seem rushed. I'd rather wait until some factory produced ones show up for approval, than hand-painted ,almost custom like prototypess are done. I am not saying the don't look good, but I know they will look 100% better.

As far as the wave choices go- usually if it is characters I don't know/like/dislike, I still pick them up because they look cool, and if anything, I can use the parts at a later time. However, with figures like Grodd and Clayface, I just think they look ugly, and more like action figures than minimates. When all I see of the actual minimate body are upper arms, and thighs, for me, it is a problem. The best thing about minimates is they are all different, but still very much the same, as all block figures. Different capes, hates, hair, wings, gloves, boots, etc. are cool with me because they are not part of the body, but accessories(which I love!). I know there are exceptions, like The Leader's head (which I feel would look better on Sinestro than Sinestro's new head) but it is still in the same style as a minimate, just longer. With Salakk, even though it is very accurate, the head, just seems too far off from the rest of the minimates, and the simplicity that makes them great. I don't have a problem with his body because it still stays withing the minimates style, just longer with more arms. I think i just feel if I wanted sculpted bodies, I'll just buy sculpted action figures. I am not sure how you can do them different, but I think a big-chest with the torso drawn, rather than sculpted works just as good. Or, for the case of Salakk's head, even a regular head with maybe a slip over sculpted piece(if that makes any sense :wacko: ) would still retain enough of the style.

Sorry for this, but I felt I needed to chime in. I am in complete support for growth and evolution of the product. And I hope I am not overreacting, but I don't want to see minimates evolve into something that do not even resemble minimates anymore.

ok, enough of that nonsense, I love the Red Son Superman, and will be in my top ten of all time no doubt. I love that they are opening up elseworlds type stuff especially if I can get a Riddle of the Beast Green Arrow, or a Von Bach and Captain Atom from Kingdom Come :D

This is an interesting mix, and with only four SKUs per wave, you can't please everyone.

Though I've no interest in Montoya's Question or this new Batwoman (...yet. To be honest I haven't read these characters' incarnations yet), I'll gladly add just about any Gotham-based character to my collection from any era. A Classic Batwoman & Bat-Girl would've been fine with me but I can wait while MA fans get their turn. Besides, who am I to complain about the first lesbian Minimate two-pack ever?

The Cyborg & Raven set is a nice nod to Wolfman's New Teen Titans fans. I'll be picking those up as well.

It's great to see DCD putting real effort into a character like Salakk. Four arms and a fully sculpted head go above and beyond the standard painted body. I would have written him off as impossible or at least too expensive to be likely. I'll gladly buy him and Sinestro to fill out my GL ranks.

And if it takes characters like Red Son Superman & Wonder Woman to keep retailers interested in this product line, so be it. I guess the standard figures must have sold well enough to include block figure incarnations here. Or maybe DCD is just testing the Else-waters with a couple of strong-performing characters. Fine by me and great for fans of this Elseworlds story.

Now I'm wondering what kind of accessories to expect.

Weird, looks exactly like the Denys Cowan run of Question (excepts for the breasts...didn't see that at first). I guess the new 'female' Question has the same outfit?

I think a repaint to Ditko's classic Question costume might be really neat.

Anyways, I'm really liking this set. You just can't get too oddball with me, I love the surprises and hope they keep coming! I'd rather see three or four characters I *don't* know (new or old), than 3-4 rehashes anyday. B)

• 1 month later...
That Question totally has jugs. For a classic question just add a Baltar chest and smooth out the hair

Would paint thinner, alcohol, and/or a steady blade not work toward taking those lines off? And does any woman wear shoulder pads like that anymore?

• 1 month later...