UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Monsters Unleashed: Jan '17

elhonez

When it was announced, I thought it was going to be a new ongoing. Now, I see it's another "mini-event" ala Standoff. Maybe a title will spin out of it, but considering how short-lived Howling Commandos was, I'm not that optimistic. I'd love to see some new Supernatural mates, but I don't think we'll get anything. 

Have to agree with Stack. I'd rather pay premium prices from Binoboi than buy small versions of stuff like sentinels. Give me a big Fin Fang Foom. 

edit: it sucks cause I know licensing is holding them up on this but they could produce Maximates for a lot cheaper most likely. I don't even understand the holdup with licensing either. DST produces Select which is x10000000000000000000 times closer to legends than a 6" Minimate would ever be. Like they produce what 7" Selects? Why not 8" mates? I wonder if pops have anything to do with it. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

I think DST is only allowed to produce a certain number of SKUs for its Marvel Select line. And while a Maximate SKU (especially an army-builder like a Sentinel) might appeal to this crowd, it runs the risk of disenfranchising other collectors. You know, kinda like offering blind bags just this once.

Why isn't Art Adams drawing this series?!

Anyway, for once I like the idea and look forward to reading it.  And no Bendis!  It's already better than Civil War 2.

**Edited for stupidity. Thanks, BuffaloDelorean.**

Edited by hellpop

On 9/19/2016 at 7:01 PM, The Scarlet Spider said:

Have to agree with Stack. I'd rather pay premium prices from Binoboi than buy small versions of stuff like sentinels. Give me a big Fin Fang Foom. 

edit: it sucks cause I know licensing is holding them up on this but they could produce Maximates for a lot cheaper most likely. I don't even understand the holdup with licensing either. DST produces Select which is x10000000000000000000 times closer to legends than a 6" Minimate would ever be. Like they produce what 7" Selects? Why not 8" mates? I wonder if pops have anything to do with it. 

I get it, but I want the characters so badly, and think they'd introduce some great variety to the line, that I don't want to say "only if they're big."

We know the limitations of this license - it hasn't, and likely won't, change - so I don't want to write off entire swaths of interesting / wacky characters just because of the size issue. We've had universal 2-inch minis for the entire line. 

I just can't really see how DST design a Fin Fang Foom that would work in a two-pack. It's not just a matter of size, it's a matter of complexity. It's the same problem they had with Ghidorah. I think DST could make it work in a Deluxe set, but I don't know if DST can make those for Marvel (or who DST would have to package him with to justify it).

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

I think the Godzilla mates are a good example of what's possible, as is MODOK, as are some of the Battle Beasts and all of the other wacky form factors they've designed over the history of the 2" lines. 

Why I think Monsters Unleashed would have worked as a series of 2-packs includes exactly what you mention - the opportunity to package each monster with an A-lister or important hero in a contemporary costume. Best of both worlds: new monsters, and heroes from current editorial on the shelf at the same time.

Honestly, the ship has probably sailed on timing a release for this event, but I get happy whenever the Monsters grab a little spotlight. I still have this HC collection from the last time we saw some Monster-love:

927657.jpg

16 minutes ago, elhonez said:

I think the Godzilla mates are a good example of what's possible, as is MODOK, as are some of the Battle Beasts and all of the other wacky form factors they've designed over the history of the 2" lines. 

Why I think Monsters Unleashed would have worked as a series of 2-packs includes exactly what you mention - the opportunity to package each monster with an A-lister or important hero in a contemporary costume. Best of both worlds: new monsters, and heroes from current editorial on the shelf at the same time.

Honestly, the ship has probably sailed on timing a release for this event, but I get happy whenever the Monsters grab a little spotlight. I still have this HC collection from the last time we saw some Monster-love:

927657.jpg

With Fin Fang Foom, my problem is the number of extended appendages. The way I see it, he'd have to basically be a Xenomorph Warrior with a long neck and wings. The Aliens already have to be placed in their packaging sideways, but FFF's wings would inhibit that. They could be packed on a separate tray, behind the minimates, but they'd have to be pretty thin to fit behind a sideways minimate. However, if he were released in a Deluxe set (again, I'm not sure if DST can make those for Marvel) I could see FFF following the Xenomorph Queen's design pretty successfully (and at a larger size).

Of course, there are likely other monsters that could be made more easily, but Fin Fang Foom seems to be one of the least obscure of the ones I've seen.

The problem is even if you pair the monsters with popular characters you're talking about some fairly obscure characters, and then you lose a little more appeal because they're so small. I don't think that leaves them appealing enough to move many sets. It gets worse if you consider how much new tooling would be required.

I'd only want them if they were 2" scale, no interest whatsoever in larger stuff.

I made a Fin Fang Foom out of existing parts with some minimal sculpting, he's not that hard.

I have a Hulk Annual 5 print re-created by Art Adams that he signed for me. It's one of my favorite pieces as I have a soft spot for all the Marvel Monsters.

19 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

I'd only want them if they were 2" scale, no interest whatsoever in larger stuff.

I made a Fin Fang Foom out of existing parts with some minimal sculpting, he's not that hard.

Technically 2" scale would mean a larger figure... but I know what you mean. ;)

Now where's that Fin Fang Foom pic? :timbo: