UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Bluray Thread

I looked around a bit and couldn't find any topic like this elsewhere, so here we are! I figured this would be a good venue to give our incite on recently purchased releases, as well as share excitement for upcoming ones!

I recently bought "Role Models" and "Serenity" for $8 each, and am thoroughly happy with both. Lots of special features on both, always a good time. I'm also currently awaiting my "Sleeping Beauty" to arrive in the mail, in great anticipation.

Tomorrow, i'm heading to Target to pick up "The Rescuers"/"Rescuers Down Under" two pack... Can't wait!

Then the next purchases planned are "The Great Mouse Detective" and "Cabin in the Woods" on September 18th, followed by "The Avengers" the next week (Which, if bought at Target, gets you a bonus disc.)

So yeah, what are some you're looking forward to?

Avengers is the only thing really on my radar right now, but I'll probably pick up Cabin in the Woods. And I'm sure there's going to be something else in there. I think the new DC animated feature "the Dark Knight Returns Part 1" should come out in the not too distant future, but I can't remember at all. I have to go look now.

EDIT: Yep. It comes out the same day as Avengers. So there's two pick ups in a day.

Edited by The Geohound

EDIT: I just watched a trailer for TDKR Part One, and i'm a little disappointed in the animation. I guess I was hoping it'd be more stylized, like the comic was. It isn't terrible animation or anything, but it doesn't look all gritty like Frank Miller's comic was. I'll still end up checking it out either way, but i'm 30% less stoked.

Edited by Marquis de Carabas

I just got The Skin I Live In on Bluray but havent watched yet. I recently got John Carter and enjoyed it. I have some others like The Grey, Rob Zombie's movies, and Insidious. Anybody like Insidious? I got a bunch for 6 bucks a while ago when my grocery store had some deal, I got Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Kick-Ass and some others that way. Kill the Irishman is another one.

Jaws has been sold out alot of places here, so i've yet to be able to pick it up. Got "The Rescuers" collection earlier this morning, and the films do look great.

I've gotta say though, I wish they would make version available without the extra dvd copies of the movies. In this case, two out of three of the discs are dvd's- and the bluray itself only contains one extra feature the dvd's haven't got. Still great to have both films on one disc in high definition, but I was just a bit underwhelmed.

Edited by Marquis de Carabas

My last 4 bluray purchases were Tucker and Dale versus Evil, Dead Snow, The Usual Suspects and the Lorax. I will be picking up the Avengers and Cabin in the Woods.

Also, just saw ParaNorman on friday and will absolutely be picking that up whenever it releases. And A Christmas Story 2..yeah I have lots of wants in the upcoming future.

I love bluray but I hate buying movies again. I am getting Jaws tomorrow and making my wife watch it. I can't believe I married someone who has never seen Jaws. Is it too early to post pics of our bluray collections?

I wouldn't think so! As soon as I get my camera fixed, i'll post a pic of mine! There's a site I use to keep track of my collection haha, here's my page: http://killcharlesdead.dvdaf.com/owned

Are we posting pics now? That's cool. I have nothing going on right now, so I'll toss up mine. There's Not a lot on there, and I know Kung Fu Panda 2 isn't in it's sleeve. I have a habit of not letting people take the sleeves when they borrow movies from me. Something about everyone always ruining my stuff or something.

post-3289-0-64060300-1346346574_thumb.jp

Edited by The Geohound

That big huge Avengers box set in the briefcase has been pushed back. Disney/Marvel were in some kind of legal battle with the company that produces the actual briefcase that the set was modeled after. Probably won't see release in September.

Good to know, thanks very much. Perhaps that's the reason why Amazon stopped taking preorders.

Are we posting pics now? That's cool. I have nothing going on right now, so I'll toss up mine. There's Not a lot on there, and I know Kung Fu Panda 2 isn't in it's sleeve. I have a habit of not letting people take the sleeves when they borrow movies from me. Something about everyone always ruining my stuff or something.

post-3289-0-64060300-1346346574_thumb.jp

Got some solid ones in there! ^_^

I think i'm going to break down and pick up Monty Python's Holy Grail and Aristocats this monday, two classics that are overdue for a good viewing. (It's only been 3-4 months for MPHG, but that's still way too long.)

I picked up GI Joe-Rise of the Cobra tonight for $5 at my local Wal Mart. It was a bit of a hassle, but I finally tracked it down and found someone who could locate it. Anyway, I'd suggest taking a look if you like this movie. I've also heard that some stores are putting the new Star Trek in the $5 bin too. Also, for any Watchmen fan's, you might check out the Ultimate Cut of the movie. If you buy it from the WBShop.com use this code(6401500]123F45677894300D1934) to get $10 off and free shipping. The total should be around $36-38 depending on your state tax. Here's a list of my BD's and some of my DVD's. Something that cracks me about the BD forum is they make us toy collectors look like sane folks lol. That, and saving some cash on killer deals.

I don't know how many folks are Watchmen fan's, but I wanted to pass on some savings. WBShop.com has a preorder for the bluray of the ultimate cut that includes the hardcover of the comic and a few other goodies. If you enter in this coupon code: 123F45677894300D1934($10 off + Free Shipping) you'll get it for $34.99 + whatever your state tax is. Mine came up to $37.73. Hopefully the link works. If not, just go to the site and type in Watchmen and click on the bluray link on the left hand side.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my copy of Avengers yesterday & it looks amazing on blu-ray but the special feature are a massive disappointment, when I think the 1st Iron Man with the hour long making of & 30 minute history of the character compaired to a 6 minute visual journey on the Avengers it's a bit $#IT

Tuesday is gonna be a kickass day.

Not only do the rehearsals for It's a Wonderful Life start (I got Potter. So stoked) but The Cabin in the Woods also comes out. And I f**king LOVED the Cabin in the Woods. So yeah that's this week's Blu-Ray purchase.

So I got my copy of Avengers yesterday & it looks amazing on blu-ray but the special feature are a massive disappointment, when I think the 1st Iron Man with the hour long making of & 30 minute history of the character compaired to a 6 minute visual journey on the Avengers it's a bit $#IT

Yeah, I've heard that too. I have to wonder if we'll see a directors cut of this or what?

The UK release of the Avengers will have no additional material whatsoever, it seems now. Originally we were supposed to get all the same stuff as the US (commentary, deleted scenes, bloobers, etc), but Disney announved they 'weren't ready' in time for the UK release.

Now, I for one would happily wait the extra 8 days. For shame, Disney really are scummy. Will wait and see if they sort something worth buying for Xmas.

The UK release of the Avengers will have no additional material whatsoever, it seems now. Originally we were supposed to get all the same stuff as the US (commentary, deleted scenes, bloobers, etc), but Disney announved they 'weren't ready' in time for the UK release.

Now, I for one would happily wait the extra 8 days. For shame, Disney really are scummy. Will wait and see if they sort something worth buying for Xmas.

We get deleted scenes, gags & item 47 but thats it. Sainsburys get a special 90 minute documentry about the marvel movie universe if you buy it from there