UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America: The Winter Soldier *w/ Spoilers*

Lurch77

My only qualm is with the inconsistency of Caps shield.

In Avengers Thor brings Mjolnir straight down on it and the shield deflects all the energy scaring the surrounding forest, which was great.

In CAWS the shield sometimes deflects all the energy directed at it but other times launches Cap backwards. The Batroc fight in particular sticks out in my mind, some kicks/puches stagger him backward, some don't. Also winter soldier fires and RPG at him and blows him off the highway then he can walk straight up to a Machine gun pouring rounds into the shield with no problem.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only qualm is with the inconsistency of Caps shield.

In Avengers Thor brings Mjolnir straight down on it and the shield deflects all the energy scaring the surrounding forest, which was great.

In CAWS the shield sometimes deflects all the energy directed at it but other times launches Cap backwards. The Batroc fight in particular sticks out in my mind, some kicks/puches stagger him backward, some don't. Also winter soldier fires and RPG at him and blows him off the highway then he can walk straight up to a Machine gun pouring rounds into the shield with no problem.

Part of that might have been that Mjolnir came straight down on him. If it had been thrown into the shield he may have gone flying.

Okay, so I saw the movie opening night with my Dad (we did the AMC double-feature), and I WAS going to finally express my immense love for everything about it...but then after SHIELD last night I've had my mind reeling with conspiracy theories with Hydra, even moreso now that Fiege says they have a plan straight through 2028 for the franchise. So, here's a pretty lengthy (okay, REALLY LONG), slight convoluted tin-foil hat theory for the future of the MCU:

Okay, so we know SHIELD is Hydra. We know Hydra "created" the 20th and 21st Centuries. But something still doesn't sit right: Redford's last line of Hail Hydra. I know Hydras tend to go out with that line, but Redford's felt...different? Accomplished almost? So here's what I'm thinking. What if everything that happened in WS was Hydra's plan all along? They're a pretty brilliant organization, and have been around for decades, I feel like taking them out in 5 days is a little..quick?

So what if Insight was meant to fail and the SHIELD/Hydra connection exposure was meant to happen all along? If Hydra reveals itself from behind the SHIELD curtain, then SHIELD is torn down and Hydra gets "defeated" once and for all. Pierce constantly talked about tearing the old world down to build a new one. When he's trying to get Widow to not reveal Hydra to the world, it almost sounds like he's egging her on. What if the old world was actually "SHIELD's old world?" With the world knowing the truth SHIELD gone, there is no major international protection organization with their capabilities left, and after Winter Soldier completing his mission and is finished shaping history, his book is closed. And we know Hydra isn't done, because Baron von Strucker and his Miracles are out there. In the shadows.

Could Insight have been a diversion? Now everyone thinks SHIELD and Hydra are gone (minus the factions in Agents of SHIELD), and Strucker can work in the shadows. The "new world" to be built can be the one he plans to shape with his miracles. Pierce naturally would have died for Hydra, and now his life's mission is complete.

Here's the REALLY tin-foil stuff. Senator Stern. He was leading the trial of Stark, and the big issue with him was that he wanted full access to Iron Man tech; as we saw with Justin Hammer, the government had already been working on suits anyway. War Machine/Patriot were decent, but clearly more like good bootlegs than the real deal. Stern is Hydra, which means we'd have a Hydra agent acquiring Iron Man tech. And Hydra has a program that could target and kill anyone on Earth remotely: Insight.

Insight could very well be easily corrupted; we saw how simple it was to shut down already. If Hydra gets their hands on an armor, and Insight goes corrupt AI, could this be our origin for Ultron AND how Baron von Strucker ties into Avengers 2, which we already know he plays a role in??

Lastly, with all this in mind I'm almost expecting young Michael-Douglas-Pym to show up in flashbacks of Ant-man as working as a consultant with older SHIELD, developing something that would become the Insight AI.

I warned you, it's VERY VERY tin-foil. But all of this Hydra stuff has been bouncing around my brain and drawing connections to the rest of the MCU, and this is what was produced. I welcome and anticipate all criticism.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

What an amazing movie! For me it's the best super-hero movie so far! In the same position with Iron Man (1), both better then Avengers.

And I just watched Agents of SHIELD #17 to finish the night, finally we got good episodes (#16 was good too).

Edited by bzorio

I've seen it twice now and while my girlfriend liked it much better the second time I didn't enjoy it as much.

I felt that the pithy one liners were forced into scenes and didn't fit very well in the movie as a whole which really took me out of the story.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused.

So, Bucky died on the train that Zola was on. Cap took Zola into custody, and he was in custody until the end of the war when he was then in Operation Paperclip and became a scientist for the Americans. Right?

So at what point, when Zola was captured on the train that Bucky died getting to, did Zola have time to go down the the ravine and save Bucky? The timeline doesn't match.

There was something else, too, but I forget. I liked it better the second time than the first.

I'm confused.

So, Bucky died on the train that Zola was on. Cap took Zola into custody, and he was in custody until the end of the war when he was then in Operation Paperclip and became a scientist for the Americans. Right?

So at what point, when Zola was captured on the train that Bucky died getting to, did Zola have time to go down the the ravine and save Bucky? The timeline doesn't match.

There was something else, too, but I forget. I liked it better the second time than the first.

Is it this?

The fact that Bucky's body was collected and experimented on by Germans, but in the movie he inexplicably spoke perfect Russian? I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved that movie and I wanted all the Winter Solider I could get, but come on. That's a little inconsistent, to say the least.

Well, he would be frozen for decades, unfrozen to do a job, then put back in freeze. Who's to say he couldn't have learned it over the years? Steve was frozen for 70 years. Bucky was working most of that time.

Also, if Hydra's been in S.H.I.E.L.D. the entire time, who's to say Zola wasn't involved while he was in "custody"?

Five times now. Still not done as long as it's still in theaters. :lol:

the fact that he spoked russian is in no way a plot hole, he was trained and brainwashed to be a soviet assassins, Hydra cant be pretending to be dead if theres a Hydra assassin on the lose with ample funding and tech now can they?