UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 2013 Fan Poll Boxset still happening?

The JC

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Nick Fury looks incredible. I thought i'd be glad to replace my faux-official Nick in his traditional uniform, but this combat-ready Polo Nick is actually really, really cool. I already want another one of him for the other Commander Rogers head to go on. Great Minimate, bravo.

Angela is pretty neat, i'm cool with it. I've only read AoU with her in it, but that's more for an uninterest in Spawn. Ultron looks wacky and beautifully sculpted, and Stark reminds me of the pre-NOW! Iron Man so i like that too. Dammit, DST made some great calls with this set. Really smart keeping Logan and Goldtron out of this.

How do you really feel, MC? laugh.png

Sorry first-year Image hurt you so bad. I didn't collect Spawn or Youngblood, my brother did, but I read them mostly for the artwork. I collected Cyberforce and Wild C.A.T.s and eventually Savage Dragon, and I read and enjoyed them for years. I would love for us to do MInimates of all the Image founding titles. Even Wetworks and Shadowhawk, which I have never read beyond a random issue.

And while I have owned a LOT of McFarlane figures over the years, I have only ever owned a couple of Spawn figures, and only one Angel -- not even Angela. And the statuesque nature of a lot of those figures is no longer my cup of tea. So I'm happy to get an Angela I can actually pose! Not a giant fan of the character, but I love changes that shake up the status quo, and I look forward to seeing what role she plays in the Marvel U, as well as in the numerous photos I will surely take of her.

Are you asking me to point out on the minimate where first-year Image touched me? (hint: it wasn't in my heart!)

So, If you did a line of Youngblood, would they even get feet? Would it also include trick covers and ashcan editions?

It's not that the founding Image books "hurt me bad", it's that I've learned my lesson on pissing away money on shoddy properties. If you want to make them, more power to you, I wish you well.

One thing does bug me about Ultron: his legs. It makes him feel too much like he's part of a different toy line other than minimates. I'd prefer something more like the old Terminator legs.

and Stark reminds me of the pre-NOW! Iron Man so i like that too.

Ditto, but I hope we still get a proper version of that armor from the Fraction book someday too, would go great with Rescue.

I know they don't look like typical minimate legs, but they are pretty comic-accurate:

Well, comic-cover-accurate anyway. I know he probably appeared on more covers than actual pages of that series, but I'd have been way happier with a regs Ultron update.

That Fury's a home run though.

I think ultron just looks cool as a mate

Similar to the cover, which has no correlation to the actual story. He's just drawn like that cause it looks cool.

Edited by kaipo

If you're going classic, I'm not sure how you can improve on the original Ultron Minimate. He had light-piping, for Pym's sake!

fig0498flg.jpg

With Avengers 2 on the way, we may see Ultron again before long, but we loved that six-armed design too much to pass up.

Hail Ivan.

Edited by DSTZach

I wasn't trying to imply the old Ultron mate was in dire need of an update or anything, just that I'd prefer an update over the weird (to me) cover-only version. The light-piping was cool, but one with a face tampo could be cool too. I mean I'd also have preferred getting the gold Ultronbot in this set, or even a FA Ultron from when he looked like a big metal corkscrew, which I think they briefly showed at one point. I'm just not really digging the design and that it's not in-story, but lots of others here seem to really like it.

As you all probably know the original Ultron Minimate was released 5 1/2 years ago in Wave 19................

...............I have always felt that Wave 19 Minimates are amongst the most underated Marvel Minimates ever made .

The only runt (no offence meant to the 'mate.... just the character ) in that wave was Ms.Marvel ,ironically the figure packed with Ultron..... which TBH is an odd pairing........ I guess you guys could enlighten me why ?

Ms.Marvel....not a bad mate just not my type.

Ultron.........spot on & no fuss.

Mysterio.....awesome & totally unique in many ways (Minimate- wise).....spot on

Spider-Man ... maybe not the best ever but certainly the most classic comic accurate (I know what I mean... whether you do?)

Apocalypse ......spot on & no fuss

The Archangels .......spot on ..........so much so that DST just had to paint one of them a different colour 3 years later for the Uncanny X Force set.

Oddly enough this wave just hung around back in 2008 ...............check out ebay to see what most of these're fetching these days huh.png

Ultron didn't appear in any of the books. Well, he did but in the end of the 10th issue which took place in an issue published a couple of years back. Oh, and he appeared as this surfboard thingy, like in his early appereances. What i'm going to do is: buy two AOU sets, keep one Ultron with the hands and mod the other so that he looks modern but looks like a minimate. I'll try to buy some more of the golden bots as well since i loved the design (although they could have used some more detail). All in all the box set features a much neede update, a new character, a cool new iron man and a great re-do of a vital villain.

As you all probably know the original Ultron Minimate was released 5 1/2 years ago in Wave 19................

...............I have always felt that Wave 19 Minimates are amongst the most underated Marvel Minimates ever made .

The only runt (no offence meant to the 'mate.... just the character ) in that wave was Ms.Marvel ,ironically the figure packed with Ultron..... which TBH is an odd pairing........ I guess you guys could enlighten me why ?

Spider-Man ... maybe not the best ever but certainly the most classic comic accurate (I know what I mean... whether you do?)

The Archangels .......spot on ..........so much so that DST just had to paint one of them a different colour 3 years later for the Uncanny X Force set.

Oddly enough this wave just hung around back in 2008 ...............check out ebay to see what most of these're fetching these days huh.png

Yes I agree with 99% of that - this along with wave 20 plus 16, 31 and 32 are among my favourite waves. The only thing I don't agree with is that I also love the Ms Marvel. The only thing that could've improved her imo is a different hairpiece. As for why she's packed with ultron, I guess the obvious answer is how often has he fought mysterio or apocalypse? lol

I'm kinda on the fence with this set.

Ultron - he looks kinda cool but I don't have any interest in it.

Angela- I vaguely remember her but I feel like I don't really need her in my collection.

Iron Man - looks cool but without all the bulkier parts that we normally get, it looks like he's just wearing a scuba diving suit

Nick Fury - looks like he belongs in the Tomb Raider series.

The only thing I'm really interested in is the updated Fury head.

Hey Zach, the hair in the control art looks way better than the proto Fury pic. Do you know which one the final product is coming with?

All four of these MOC just went for over 70 on eBay! I got mine about a year ago for 50. It is a pretty cool series that still holds up.

wait what? I just sold mine last month for $30. haha, curse you, eBay! =P

That being said, I think Mysterio holds up the best to this day. The rest were beautiful mates (especially at the time), with my favorite being 'death' archangel.
I don't think Ultron needs an update, but I can understand people wanting a new version of him that isn't so event-specific. Still, it's a beautifully designed mate.
I haven't read AoU, or any recent Marvel books for that matter - does anyone know if the shirt under Fury's vest fits with any contemporary 616 looks? As in, can I still use his shirt to make a non AoU version of Nick, or will I need to use something else?