UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel VS DC 2?

DaveOMac

Good catch on the date before I get too excited.

Marvel Vs DC is one of the things that got me back into comics and the spin off Amalgam universe. Around that time there where some great crossovers going on from alot of companies.

Marvel/DC cross-overs are hit-and-miss, IMO. I really enjoyed the JLA/Avengers one and the Teen Titans/X-Men. In general, I think it is a gimmick that shouldn't be revisited very often, but it is probably about that time. Given both companies' obsession with killing off characters as a sales gimmick, maybe they'll even go the Stormwatch/Aliens route and let characters die during the next one (and they could remain dead for a few months, anyway).

Given how juvenile and antagonistic the Marvel/DC relationship has been for the last decade (publicly trashing each other, recently that whole thing where Marvel offered a variant cover for ripped copies of DC overstock), I don't see a crossover happening anytime soon...

Edited by battlecat

Looks like a Jim Cheung con sketch turned into an April Fool's joke... which is what Rich Johnston seems to indicate as well. Hey, does anyone else think Johnston and Buttheadsmate are one and the same? Both British, and their writing syntax are similar... <_<

I actually bought the first MvDC trade a few months ago, when I came across it at a show for five bucks. I'd never actually read it, and though I wasn't expecting much... it didn't even live up to that. Just a terrible comic, with no reason to exist other then to exist. Didn't help that it was set in a very transitory time for both universes. Kyle Rayner, Ben Reilly, Deodado's Thor costume... :sick:

JLA/Avengers is one of the best superhero comics ever, though, and maybe the best "event" book (COIE is really the only other candidate). And that reminds me, I once created this:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Hellpop/DC_Marvel_crossovers

I actually bought the first MvDC trade a few months ago, when I came across it at a show for five bucks. I'd never actually read it, and though I wasn't expecting much... it didn't even live up to that. Just a terrible comic, with no reason to exist other then to exist. Didn't help that it was set in a very transitory time for both universes. Kyle Rayner, Ben Reilly, Deodado's Thor costume... :sick:

JLA/Avengers is one of the best superhero comics ever, though, and maybe the best "event" book (COIE is really the only other candidate). And that reminds me, I once created this:

Agreed, the non-Amalgam parts of the 90s cross-over (and even some of those) was putrid though I don't think any "event" could ever really compare to "COIE."

I would like to check out the cross-overs from the 70s at some point (Superman/Spiderman; Hulk/Batman). I know that the Hulk/Batman had some good art, at least.

Get the first Marvel/DC crossovers trade (which was published by Marvel, I think). It's got both Superman/Spider-Mans, Hulk/Batman, and NTT/X-Men. Personally, I think that's all you need until you get to JLA/Avengers. Hulk/Batman's kind of overlooked, but it's pretty good. And yeah, quite lovely.

I have that graphic novel/trade which has the original team ups on it. Also a few of the modern ones. Batman/Cap Am in an elsewords book which is excellent. Batman/Punisher/Azreal. Spidey/Batman vs Carnage/Joker and I seem to remeber something to do with Superman an Silver Surfer and Green Lantern an Silver Surfer.

I know I have a alot more crossover stuff but it hard to keep track of it from memory.

The modern ones that I really like are the ones John Byrne did- Galactus/Darkseid and Batman/Captain America- and Roger Stern and Steve Rude's Superman/Hulk. A lot of the others, I think, had fairly lackluster creative teams that kind of undercut my excitement. On the other hand, the intercompany crossover with perhaps the biggest names involved, Miller and McFarlane's Spawn/Batman, is also one of the worst comics I've ever read. Sure predicted Frank Miller's downward spiral as a Batman writer, though.

The modern ones that I really like are the ones John Byrne did- Galactus/Darkseid and Batman/Captain America-

I remember those! Yeah, they were pretty good if memory serves. I need to get them from my parents' house. Actually, I need to get all my comics from my parents' house!