UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Aronofsky no longer directing "The Wolverine"

Source

So who do you think will replace him, and what effect, if any, will this have on the quality of the movie, or on its release date? I hope this doesn't go into development hell, because I was looking forward to this. IMO, X-Men Origins was pretty weak story-wise, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and I've heard some very positive things about Mr. Aronofsky's film making skills (I've never seen any of his movies), so I have somewhat high hopes for the sequel (assuming it still gets made).

Interesting... I'll admit I know very little about what has been going on behind the scenes, etc. but is there no way Bryan Singer would do it? I did like the other X-Men films, and the more I see of First Class, the more my (originally incredibly low) expectations rise.

Aronofsky has made some lovely films, but I did think it was strange he was making Wolverine... by the end Logan would have transformed, whilst dealing with being a paraplegic drug addict. I also thought X-MO:W was a nonsense story-wise, but some good fights, etc.

I figure they'll go to the guy who made the Barber Shop/Fantastic Four movies first. If he turns it down, Brett Ratner. Last choice for them would be Uwe Boll. If no takers, they'll just shelve the franchise.

Or they'll have Roger Corman make a direct to non-release version.

Aronofsky has made some lovely films, but I did think it was strange he was making Wolverine... by the end Logan would have transformed, whilst dealing with being a paraplegic drug addict.

Haha! Yeah, he's a weird choice even for consideration, but I guess he and Hugh Jackman have some history. Ultimately, though, I'd prefer not to be seriously considering suicide as I leave an X-Men flick. Not to say I want the likes of Ratner anywhere near it, but there's almost certainly got to be something in the middle. Like, say, Bryan Singer.

The Usual Suspects was great, Apt Pupil was decent enough, and the House episodes he directed were good. Superman Returns wasn't great but wasn't as awful as we usually pretend it was, and I didn't see Valkyrie. Overall, though, I'd say he's a pretty good director. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think Singer is a very good director, as well. The main problem you can levy against him is Superman, and though Singer's apparent vision was the significant problem there, I don't think the technical direction was. You bring in a good screen writer, let the director play director more than "creator" broadly defined, and I think Singer would be fine.

Also, Singer has experience with Wolverine--hell, he's probably as responsible for Jackman's success in the role as Jackman is--so I wouldn't consider a move to Singer a bad one.

However, this is Fox. They thought the guy from Barber Shop would be a good Fantastic Four director. So. . .

It's interesting that people keep mentioning Singer considering that the script was written by Christopher McQuarrie who also wrote what is undoubtedly Singer's best movie, The Usual Suspects. Personally I liked Superman Returns, did it have problems? Yes but there were genuine "Superman" moments in that movie that the others failed to achieve. That said I do not want Brian Singer to make this movie I would love to see someone who makes good movies and also know how to shoot action get the job. Paul Greengrass, Doug Liman, Martin Campbell, Joe Carnahan, even Danny Boyle. Once the director is picked though Fox needs to reduce their role to the signing of the checks and nothing else.

Edit: I was sitting around and thought of an even better choice to direct Wolverine. Ben Affleck. For all you haters watch the two movies that he has both written and directed and then tell me the guy doesn't have skills.

Edited by minimadman

I too liked Superman Returns... sure, huge chunks of it were cringe-worthy, but Routh was good, I do feel sorry for him, surrounded my such a miscast bunch. The problem was the script... and Kevin Spacey (who is otherwise brilliant).

Whether he'd be best or not I don't know, because its not something I've got the time to worry about... but if he can 'fluke' 2 X-Men films (his original idea for X3 sounded fantastic as well), as well as a few other films, then I'm sure he can fluke another.

I've seen Gone Baby Gone and the Town, and enjoyed them both, but am not sure if they would translate well to a Wolverine-type movie. He seems to have a specific niche of film dealing with a specific population of characters that he does well. But who knows? Maybe he could step outside that realm and knock it out of the park.

He knows how to pace a film, and how to get good performances out of people, so that's a big chunk of what makes a movie good.

Edited by karamazov80

The Town was one of my favorite surpsrises last year. I went into thinking it would be average but Affleck did a great job acitng & directing. Solid perfomance by future Hawkeye Jeremy Renner too.

If they would let the movie be R i would kill to see Tarantino do it. He is a marvel fan. A more realistic vote would be for Martin Campbell has done really well the new Bond movies and creates really good action sequences. Problem is that he is probably tied up with GL for a couple of yrs.

If they would let the movie be R i would kill to see Tarantino do it. He is a marvel fan.

Oh HELL yeah! HELL YEAH!!!

I mean if Tarantino is gonna make ANY Superhero, it would have to be Wolverine or Deadpool. Come to think of it, a Deadpool movie with Tarantino dialogue would rock the socks off of everyone who ever lived. I doubt there would be a limit to the number of times I'd see that movie. Seriously. But Wolverine would be a good pick for him. Japan. Killing. Somewhat snarky hero. Everything Tarantino needs to make the best f**king movie ever made.

I have a very difficult time imagining Tarantino doing a superhero movie. Maybe Master of Kung Fu.

I think I'm the only person I know who has never even seen a Tarantino movie. :|

That's something that a) I would not go around telling people. And B would rectify immediately rent Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Jackie Brown you'll thank me.

Edited by minimadman

I have a very difficult time imagining Tarantino doing a superhero movie. Maybe Master of Kung Fu.

I think I'm the only person I know who has never even seen a Tarantino movie. :|

That's something that a) I would not go around telling people. And B would rectify immediately rent Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Jackie Brown you'll thank me.

And once you're used to his stuff, go watch Inglorious Basterds. It is impressive and it has one of the absolute best performances I've ever seen. That Oscar was well won Mr. Waltz.

I actually have Pulp Fiction here on VHS. Maybe I'll give it a look today.

I actually have Pulp Fiction here on VHS. Maybe I'll give it a look today.

Definitely check it out.

Waltz was incredible in bastards

Jackie Brown is underrated

Jackie Brown is as good as any of Tarantino's movies, IMO. I didn't originally think so (saw it when first released and was a bit disappointed because it wasn't Pulp Fiction 2), but re-watched it a few years ago and was very impressed.

Jackie Brown is underrated

Agree - 1000% agree!

Jackie Brown is one of my favourite films. Possibly a top 10 film.

I don't wanna over-sell it, judge it for yourself :tongue:

Edited by Nessex