UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wizard & Toyfare magazines CANCELLED!

Sad to report it, but it looks as if Wizard and Toyfare magazines have been cancelled effective immediately. Both magazines will be going digital in some combined effort starting February 2011. Check it out. I for one will truely miss picking up Toyfare each month. Wizard on the other hand had really gotten on my nerves during it's last few years with it's terrible new format. I hope this new venture proves a success.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

A sad sign for the future of comics publishing, but I honestly can't say I'm upset or surprised. Wizard has been a very polarizing force in the comics industry, helping to fuel the speculation craze that led to the comics downfall of the 90's.

Don't get me wrong, poor writing and company mis-management was the major force of the comics implosion, but when Wizard says you aren't cool unless you had the Prism holographic cover of X-O Manowar 1/2 and the next month it was triple the value in it's "price guide", it's hard to not account some of the blame their way.

In short, I think Wizard Magazine was as detrimental to comics as it was beneficial.

when Wizard says you aren't cool unless you had the Prism holographic cover of X-O Manowar 1/2 and the next month it was triple the value in it's "price guide", it's hard to not account some of the blame their way.

Perceives veiled reference to a certain boardie. . .

I kid! :D

No veiled references implied.

Also, the other thing that I loved, when they published prices for things that had been solicited for a certain month, but hadn't been released yet, but they had to speculate a "value" before the magazine went to print! Classic Wizard! <_<

Edited by youbastards

I enjoyed it when I was 12 years old or so, but not much since. Toyfare was a bit better, but I never cared enough to pick it up consistently. Not much use for either of these in the internet age, I suppose.

Wizard used to be pretty good, but the past several years were not so great. I'd be lying if I said I was going to miss Wizard.

I recall few weeks/months/seasons ago there was a little blurb in an issue extolling the virtues of digital comics. It looked specifically at the iPad and the portability/ease of a digital comics collection and online libraries, etc. At the time I thought it was a pretty weird thing coming from a print media.

I read Wizard from Issue 3. Toyfare from Issue 1.

I stopped buying Toyfare before I stopped buying Wizard because, apart from Twisted Toyfare Theatre I wasn't enjoying reading it.

Wizard I kept with until about 2 years ago when it seemed it had became a big book of lists and splash pages with the occasional good interview.

I missed reading it, but resented spending the cash on what had become a very flimsy magazine.

All the same, it's a shame to see them both go, but Wizard lasted what? 18-20 years? That's nothing to be ashamed of.

I'll admit that I enjoy the current relevance of online articles (assuming it's from a trusted source), and in that respect, I won't be missing Wizard too much.

But part of me has always had a close affinity for printed media. If comics become exclusively digital, I will be very sad indeed. I enjoy technological advances, but real books on real paper will always be my first love...

That being said, I think Wizard is a different beast. it won't hurt me too much to be limited to reading it via my computer

I am not surprised to see Toyfare go. Part of the incentive of purchasing the magazine was to see exclusive pictures of upcoming collectibles one could not see anywhere else. The problem is, the first person to get home with the magazine would post scans of the content online. This would hinder Toyfare sales because the collector would think; 'I already saw the pictures online, why would I purchase the magazine.'

This is a smart move for Wizard Publication. When the item being sold is a magazine based (mostly) on exclusive photos that can be scanned and shared, one has to keep up with the times.

Alas, good bye....

Toyfar: 1997 - 2011

Wizard: 1991 - 2011

off to join your sister magazines:

Inquest Gamer: 1995 - 2007

Anime Insider: 2001 - 2009

I used to get Toyfare all the time, just so I can get a chance to see the upcoming new stuff.

But, having found sites like this and others, I was getting pics of new items before the magazine would even report them.......so no need for me to even check them out.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/01/24/rumor...-magazine-dead/

I stopped reading Wizard a few years back but I still have my Toyfare subscription. I did notice that over the years Toyfare was getting slower and slower with the "latest" toy news. I still enjoyed reading the mag tho.

I want my refund for the unpublished issues!

Edited by TBT!
Merged with existing thread for tidyness!

I think they are going to file for bankruptcy. Makes sense because they created a wholly new company for the online mags and conventions. That new company won't be liable for any of the bankrupted companies debt.

So what happens to my fairly recently renewed two year subscription charge for Toyfare? It is the only magazine I have ever subscribed to so I don't know how that works although I assume I am SOL.

When EGM suddenly closed up shop its subscribers got their subs transferred to Maxim, after complaining that Maxim sucks the publishers gave EGM subscribers a refund for the remainder of their subs.

so maybe you'll get a refund or maybe you'll get some PG-girly pics and horrible articles about stuff you don't like... but since the company does still exist you'll probably get SOMETHING for your renewal.

Gotta say, no real loss. Wizard had its' place once upon a time, I guess, but had long since ceased to be relevant. I think, by being a key driving force in the speculator's market that nearly destroyed the industry in the '90s, Wizard's legacy is probably more harm then good. But the company had been horribly, horribly managed for years, and the circumstances surrounding this change are very shady. Here's an interview with an anonymous Wizard staffer about the closing:

http

://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/EX...mployee_Speaks

Notice how Wizard once illegally reprinted some Marvel comics, then simply stopped covering Marvel when they sent them a bill. In short, I wouldn't think you subscribers are going to get a dime. :(

Edited by hellpop

they sent me a renewl letter that I got in the mail on monday lol. My subscription was to end in April and I only paid $2 an issue so really I won't be out that much. Now my brother renewed both mags and may be out $65!!

My supermarket has:

-6 magazines about guns and ammo,

-15 magazines about body building,

-4 magazines about motorcross,

-9 magazines about cars and automobiles,

-2 magazines about hunting and fishing,

-3 magazines about video games,

-7 magazines about "professional" wrestling

and 40 magazines about homes, beauty, weddings, and other chick stuff.

It also carried the issue of Wizard from three months ago. Wow! Revenge of the Sith action figures, wait...what?

Wizard was behind the times before it was even behind the times.