UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Announcements from DST about NYCC

Chris Myers at DST asked me to post some info here about some of the events they have going on at NY Comic Com:

'Could you let everyone know that Diamond Select Toys will have Minimate Artist, Uriel Caton signing Minimate posters at the DST booth (#1549) Friday, October 8th from 1-2. It also looks like we missed out on a Minimate panel this year, so please let everyone know to stop by and harass DSTChuck between those hours as well…and bring cookies!'

'Our Build-A-Minimate event was such a huge hit at the San Diego Comic Con that we decided to bring it back for the New York Comic Con. This event will take place during show hours Friday – Sunday. Each Minimate purchase at the Diamond Select booth will get you a ticket for the Build-A-Minimate event. You will have 5 minutes to build your own Minimate. Once you are finished you can take the Minimate with you or leave it behind for others to see and come back later to pick it up. We look forward to seeing everyone at the booth!'

So, it looks to be a good time (just remember to take some cookies).

Edited by groundhog7s

If the NY 'build-a-mate' thing is anything like the SDCC one ....learn from my mistake..........

You are given a certain time-frame to (obviously) build-a-mate ,in that time-frame I was too busy building a mate to realise that in front of me was every Minimate part imaginable :ohmy: It was only afterwards that it dawned on me that I should have concentrated on building a Deadpool or an X-factor Angel ,the bits were there............I kid you not !

:ohmy: It was only afterwards that it dawned on me that I should have concentrated on building a Deadpool or an X-factor Angel ,the bits were there............I kid you not !

Wowsa!!!! That almost makes it worth the plane trip to NY :biggrin:

Well - it does for the kids in the US anyway :P

If the NY 'build-a-mate' thing is anything like the SDCC one ....learn from my mistake..........

You are given a certain time-frame to (obviously) build-a-mate ,in that time-frame I was too busy building a mate to realise that in front of me was every Minimate part imaginable :ohmy: It was only afterwards that it dawned on me that I should have concentrated on building a Deadpool or an X-factor Angel ,the bits were there............I kid you not !

That's kind of what I was thinking... figure out what parts I need for customs, then slap them on a 'mate. Do they let you have more then one go? From the original posting, it looks like you get 5 minutes for each purchase, so if you buy two sets, you should get 10 minutes. Or is it once per customer?

That's kind of what I was thinking... figure out what parts I need for customs, then slap them on a 'mate. Do they let you have more then one go? From the original posting, it looks like you get 5 minutes for each purchase, so if you buy two sets, you should get 10 minutes. Or is it once per customer?

Thats what i was just wondering!

im heading out to NYCC this weeknd this sounds terrific! :D

Wait... it just dawned on me that one of the AoA sets and the New Mutants sets are AFX exclusives and won't be at the DST booth... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :wallbash:

So... what's the problem?

In his other post it sounded liek he wasn't sure if buying more than one set at the DST booth meant more than 5 minues for the Build-a-Mate. Now there is only one Exclusive set there.

Quite frankly, i assumed one purchase meant your entire purchase, not how many items you buy. I doubt they'd let you seperate them for that purpose ayway.

Wait... it just dawned on me that one of the AoA sets and the New Mutants sets are AFX exclusives and won't be at the DST booth... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :wallbash:

So... what's the problem?

In his other post it sounded liek he wasn't sure if buying more than one set at the DST booth meant more than 5 minues for the Build-a-Mate. Now there is only one Exclusive set there.

Quite frankly, i assumed one purchase meant your entire purchase, not how many items you buy. I doubt they'd let you seperate them for that purpose ayway.

Actually, it's more that I wasn't planning on buying the AoA set that's going to be at the DST booth, because there's no one that I'm interested in. But, as to getting multiple sets for multiple minutes, well, it's a three day show. Thus, three different days to make purchases, if one were so inclined. But it also doesn't say that one must purchase the show exclusives in order to Build-A-Mate, just buy something. Wish they'd have made it clear.... but we'll know tomorrow.

Okay, so I did this... and it was a bit of a nightmare. First off, they give you a lot longer then 5 minutes, which is great... except when the two guys in front of you take about 45 minutes total. But I can understand why, because I certainly went way over. The problem was that all the parts were in one big bowl. I had imagined that they would have little separate trays; one for heads, one for hair and masks, one for arms, and so on. But no, one big bowl. And even that wouldn't have been so bad, except (as it was explained to me) we were dealing with the dregs of San Diego, which meant there were a ton of accessories, but not a lot in the way of body parts. So while I was able to find a pair of boots relatively easy, I couldn't find a pair of matching legs, much less one that would be any use to me.

By the end, I was honestly wishing that I'd never done it, thinking "it's not worth the wait and the stress". That's a bit harsh, and as time passed I've definitely softened. But I did end up with a Minimate with two left legs, and two arms that don't match, because I just stuck on what I could and called it a day. I can't see how anyone hoping to make a specific character would have had any luck; you might have been able to make most of a FA Angel, but that's about it. Apparently they were going to be adding new parts for Saturday, which probably made things a lot better, but the con was too crazy for me to get anywhere near their booth Saturday, and when I walked by Sunday they'd closed the BAM area off. So who knows.

Anyway, A for idea, E for execution, at least on Friday. I know I sound like a big complainer, but I thought it important to let you guys know what to expect if they do this again, and also hopefully (if they ever read this) let the DST guys know that Building-A-Minimate was a less then pleasant experience.

Okay, so I did this... and it was a bit of a nightmare. First off, they give you a lot longer then 5 minutes, which is great... except when the two guys in front of you take about 45 minutes total. But I can understand why, because I certainly went way over. The problem was that all the parts were in one big bowl. I had imagined that they would have little separate trays; one for heads, one for hair and masks, one for arms, and so on. But no, one big bowl. And even that wouldn't have been so bad, except (as it was explained to me) we were dealing with the dregs of San Diego, which meant there were a ton of accessories, but not a lot in the way of body parts. So while I was able to find a pair of boots relatively easy, I couldn't find a pair of matching legs, much less one that would be any use to me.

By the end, I was honestly wishing that I'd never done it, thinking "it's not worth the wait and the stress". That's a bit harsh, and as time passed I've definitely softened. But I did end up with a Minimate with two left legs, and two arms that don't match, because I just stuck on what I could and called it a day. I can't see how anyone hoping to make a specific character would have had any luck; you might have been able to make most of a FA Angel, but that's about it. Apparently they were going to be adding new parts for Saturday, which probably made things a lot better, but the con was too crazy for me to get anywhere near their booth Saturday, and when I walked by Sunday they'd closed the BAM area off. So who knows.

Anyway, A for idea, E for execution, at least on Friday. I know I sound like a big complainer, but I thought it important to let you guys know what to expect if they do this again, and also hopefully (if they ever read this) let the DST guys know that Building-A-Minimate was a less then pleasant experience.

Dregs of San Diego......... that sounds very much like myself & mi amigo Cappy :D

Despite my insinuation that you possibly could make a 'rare' Minimate from the 'Mash of 'mates' available that wasn't the idea surely????

Probably the two oldest Minimate fans "......in the world" had a great ol' time making 'Iron-Cylon-Ryu-Rocky-Spider Mc.Bandy-legged Muffin 'Pool'' & his sidekick 'She-Thing f*ck-pig' ............................whilst enjoying les femmes fatales out the corner of their collective eyes.

Memories :rolleyes:

... and also hopefully (if they ever read this) let the DST guys know that Building-A-Minimate was a less then pleasant experience.

I doubt it was a pleasant experience too for the person who works at DST to open every individually bagged arm, leg, chest, head, and torso parts that's for customer issues to put into the bowl. It's geared more for kids anyway to let their imagination run wild while us adults rationalize our choices.

Probably the two oldest Minimate fans "......in the world" had a great ol' time making 'Iron-Cylon-Ryu-Rocky-Spider Mc.Bandy-legged Muffin 'Pool'' & his sidekick 'She-Thing f*ck-pig' ............................whilst enjoying les femmes fatales out the corner of their collective eyes.

And I never did see what the two oldest kids in line made. Man, we should share pics next time like we did for Luke's Frankenmate! I never made a mate because there was always a kid doing it while I wanted to do it or I was too busy talking to the DST and MMMV folks. Plus I felt bad if I took all the Spidey parts to make a Franken-Spidey mate...

I did this mostly for parts, and Chuck was nice enough to shout over to let me take as long as i wanted. I just wish the other DST guy (as he referred to himself, the "not Minimates" guy of DST) wasn't trying to help. I have minor OCD, and wanted certain parts to at least be symmetrical, a chore in itself (as said, the one-bowl idea was really...really poorly thought-out.) but he just pulled out random parts andwould hand them. I know at one point i did fake that a leg wouldn't fit to get another, but i still culdn't fin a matching one.

In the end, this became fodder. Totally okay with it though; got some great pieces:

Extra Six head (for Emma Frost)

TRU Cap hairpiece for Unmasked "Heroes" Cap (wanted this iece for a LONG time, but not enough to justify buying the set)

Jubilee coat

Betsy Braddock psy-sword (now with Psylocke)

SDCC Translucent Orange arms

Something to note is that the ONLY male-gender head was Unification Spock, while female heads came by the truckload. Also, Hulkbuster, Gamma Hulk, Betsy, and Lockjaw pieces aplenty, but finding them all was way to difficult and not worth it.

My gf built one on Friday and I think it took us about fifteen minutes. The hardest part was finding a matching left leg. I am not keen enough on Mates to identify parts on sight but I did see the x-mas Spock hair/hat.

It was fun though, she had a good time.