UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ed Wires

Ivan

I was checking out the latest Q&As on the AA site and I saw this simple post from Chuck.

After a bit of research, it appears Minimate-painter and all-around great guy Eddie Wires passed away last night in his studio. I haven't found any more details than that, but I'm just floored. I've talked with him at a few Comic-Cons and he was the nicest guy you could ever want to meet. Talent beyond measure. Here's his website if you aren't aware of his impact on the industry.

Yeah, he was pretty much a fixture at the Minimate and other toy related panels. Here are a pair of photos from a couple weeks ago at SDCC 2010. (Sorry the quality is suboptimal, I wasn't using my normal camera.)

100812_chuckEddieSD10_1.JPG

100812_chuckEddieSD10_2.JPG

Here's one from SDCC 2007.

100812_eddie_SD07.JPG

And one from 2009

100812_eddieCrowdSD09.JPG

Usually I don't post in (much less make) these kind of threads, but after seeing him so recently this just hit me really off guard. He is someone I would have liked to have known better.

There's a tribute post at AFI.

Wow this is both surprising and really sad news,

I've chatted to Eddie a few times at SDCC, usually somewhere around a minimate panel or the AA/DST booth and he was a really cool guy actually interested to hear what I had to say and even agreed to do a Q/A/Chat session for the multiverse about minimates couple of years back.

RIP Eddie...

T.