UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Mortal Kombat Rebirth  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If they make this, would you see it?

• Yes
    • No
    • If it's not competing with something else I want to see.

So for those of you who may have missed this jewel, this proof of concept film of Mortal Kombat was released with a no-name director basically saying to WB "this is how I'd do it."

And it's awesome.

I'm not even a Mortal Kombat fan and I'd be front of the line to see this damn thing. I loved every minute of this... trailer basically, and I could see this movie getting even better. I want to see the whole movie. I really do.

Friends, allow me to present Mortal Kombat Rebirth

I'm in.

Edited by Trekker 42

Holy shit man, holy shit. I reeeeeeally hope this becomes a feature film. Plus, that violence looks top notch brutal.

Only thing it's missing is Gaston, he's roughly the size of a barge!

Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade is a stroke of genius.

The film might be a little too brutal for my taste, but it looks to be a much better re-boot than The Legend of Chun-Li was for Street Fighter. If they end up making it like the trailer, it'll be a huge success for the franchise (and maybe finally we'll get some Minimates out of it).

Holy shit man, holy shit. I reeeeeeally hope this becomes a feature film. Plus, that violence looks top notch brutal.

Only thing it's missing is Gaston, he's roughly the size of a barge!

No one fights like him, douses lights like him, in a wrestling match nobody bites like him.

That Baraka dude would probably kick his ass though.

(BTW I was just thinking, probably less than 20 minutes ago, how many people are gonna say "Holy Shit" to this.)

Edited by Trekker 42

He's also especially good at expectorating. Nobody can kick Gastons ass, you'd have better luck dividing by zero.

The actual only complaint I had about the video was the fact they gave Baraka hair, but it's no big deal. Did anybody manage to get a quick screen cap of Subzero when his appearance flashed across the screen?

He's also especially good at expectorating. Nobody can kick Gastons ass, you'd have better luck dividing by zero.

The actual only complaint I had about the video was the fact they gave Baraka hair, but it's no big deal. Did anybody manage to get a quick screen cap of Subzero when his appearance flashed across the screen?

I can get one. Probably.

Make that definatley. I have it. Unfortunately I don't have the attachments bar visible...

Ah! Here's one on the internets ready made

rebirth-mk.jpg

Edited by Trekker 42

I saw this proof of concept video on io9, and I am intrigued with some of the erm, "liberties" they've decided upon for this.

I was actually quite impressed with some of the ideas they introduced here, like

Reptile having harlequin ichthyosis and how they framed Johnny Cage's origin

, though I'm still on the fence about

Baraka, and making Scorpion the "protagonist"

. In any case, this is one reboot I wouldn't mind seeing onscreen.

I saw this the other day on io9 as well and really liked the reimagining they gave he characters. Would I watch it as a movie..yes, not an must see at all costs but I would watch it. if they have brought the characters we have seen uptodate I wonder how thy would handle Raiden?

I saw this proof of concept video on io9, and I am intrigued with some of the erm, "liberties" they've decided upon for this.

I was actually quite impressed with some of the ideas they introduced here, like

Reptile having harlequin ichthyosis and how they framed Johnny Cage's origin

, though I'm still on the fence about

Baraka, and making Scorpion the "protagonist"

. In any case, this is one reboot I wouldn't mind seeing onscreen.

Well aparantly the director said that "

Scorpion

is a bad guy and will stay a bad guy" They kinda want to follow him while still making him a huge asshole. He's not here to save the world or any of that philanthropic bullcrap, he's after Sub Zero, nothing else.

I saw this the other day on io9 as well and really liked the reimagining they gave he characters. Would I watch it as a movie..yes, not an must see at all costs but I would watch it. if they have brought the characters we have seen uptodate I wonder how thy would handle Raiden?

Raiden is not going to be some dude with Tesla coils or lasers on his arms according to the driector. He wants the mythical stuff in there. He says it's like Harry Potter with the ability to exist in two worlds, the real world you see here. The insane crap is elsewhere and outside his $7,500 budget he self financed for this proof of concept.

My source: http://www.collider.com/2010/06/09/kevin-t...h-feature-film/

It's an interesting interview, I'll give it that.

It was a very good short but if a movie is made I doubt it's as brutal, you have to think that the studio would require it to be PG13.

I dunno man, the studios have been taking more risks with properties and R ratings... which i think is what this wants to sell. R Mortal Kombat not PG-13. I mean, why did they not force PG-13 onto Watchmen? Becaue you CAN'T! Mortal Kombat is almost the same. Force PG-13 on it and you're taking away the very tthing that makes it Mortal Kombat.

I just had a weird thought after watching this proof-of-concept video:

So far we've seen 8-ish characters from the franchise with "modernized" updated back stories in this video alone. If this hypothetical reboot can go as far as to making Reptile a

cannibalistic serial killer with harlequin ichthyosis

, Baraka an

ex-plastic surgeon serial killer with weird dreads

, Johnny Cage a

cynical retired action star/double agent... who still dies a lot

, and Scorpion

THE FRAKKING LEAD CHARACTER

, then who's to say what else could be possible in this thing?

"Hey! Let's make Raiden a Norwegian electrician sidekick who tells advice a lot! Kitana shall be the stepdaughter of a bloodthirsty Yakuza boss, and she will have a black belt in karate fan-dancing and an identical twin sister with an Elektra Natchios cosplay fetish! And let's make Liu Kang a Latino too, while we're at it." :P

I just had a weird thought after watching this proof-of-concept video:

So far we've seen 8-ish characters from the franchise with "modernized" updated back stories in this video alone. If this hypothetical reboot can go as far as to making Reptile a

cannibalistic serial killer with harlequin ichthyosis

, Baraka an

ex-plastic surgeon serial killer with weird dreads

, Johnny Cage a

cynical retired action star/double agent... who still dies a lot

, and Scorpion

THE FRAKKING LEAD CHARACTER

, then who's to say what else could be possible in this thing?

"Hey! Let's make Raiden a Norwegian electrician sidekick who tells advice a lot! Kitana shall be the stepdaughter of a bloodthirsty Yakuza boss, and she will have a black belt in karate fan-dancing and an identical twin sister with an Elektra Natchios cosplay fetish! And let's make Liu Kang a Latino too, while we're at it." :P

I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• 6 months later...

Hey, guys! Remember how excited about this we were about this last year?

Well, they're making it a 10-part series now. I can certainly think of worse ways to adapt it.

Interesting observations:

Shang Tsung will still be supernatural in origin. And SHAO KAHN is making an appearance for some reason.

the first part that has been released was awsome a friend turned me on to it months ago if the rest hold the vibe and atmosphere of it this is going to be a kick a$$ movie totally worth the wait.