UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How do you protect your collection before you get married? Divorce can kill a hobby!

Pretty sure that's considered 'fraud' or 'hiding your assets' or something, if done anywhere near a divorce...

Sorry, I thought it was closer to 'covering your assets' than hiding...

True story time. I'm good friends with a family who are all big into Star Wars. The kids are grown up, but they're still pretty close and the mom still buys collectibles for her son when she can (as a side note, she stood in line at one of the Celebration cons for a couple hours to get him one of the exclusives and bought me one too-one of the prizes of my collection). Anywho, back when episode 3 came out, she's standing in line at the grocery with boxes of cereal with lightsaber spoons in them (for her son) and the lady in front of her starts making small talk with her about it. She explains who she's getting them for and the lady tells her she has a garage full of Star Wars stuff that belonged to her ex-husband and she got during the divorce. My friend ended up buying the collection for $500 and it sits in storage for when her son has more room for everything. It was a huge collection in volume, but not really in price. There wasn't anything too valuable in it (mostly episode 1 stuff), but the point of the story is this stuff really does happen. So what's the morale of the story I'm trying to get across? The Phantom Menace brought pain to many, many people in ways George Lucas will never even know.

Good point, GH. Damn good point.

Bearing in mind that my vast legal knowledge comes from watching Law & Order a lot:

Mine, as well. And let me tell you this--if your hypothetical future spouse's body is discovered behind a dumpster by some unsuspecting passers-by, well, I wouldn't plan on leaving town right away if I were you. Also, don't try to mess with Ice-T. That guy doesn't fool around.

Bearing in mind that my vast legal knowledge comes from watching Law & Order a lot:

Mine, as well. And let me tell you this--if your hypothetical future spouse's body is discovered behind a dumpster by some unsuspecting passers-by, well, I wouldn't plan on leaving town right away if I were you. Also, don't try to mess with Ice-T. That guy doesn't fool around.

:lol:

The fraud thing I actually got from the second to last episode of this season, where three guys planning to spring a divorce on their wives hid their assets with each other, one of which was a comic book collection! Of course one of the wives found out and the guy was subsequently murdered with a sword -- you know, same old story...

Edited by battlecat

Pretty sure that's considered 'fraud' or 'hiding your assets' or something, if done anywhere near a divorce...

Sorry, I thought it was closer to 'covering your assets' than hiding...

Again I ain't no big city lawyer but from what I understand, it's only legal if you sell it for a 'real amount'

If you're about to get divorced and then have your friend buy your collection of mint 1970's Star Wars figures and 9.8 rated Golden Age comics for $1, her lawyers are going to see right through his as him 'hiding' a portion of your worth for you to reclaim later. If he buys it close to market value (he can pay under so long as it's like "it's valued at $10k, but he got the friend price for $9k" and not "he got the friend price for $7.50 and this Lord of the Rings DVD" were you're clearly ultra low balling it to keep it away from her), even if the plan is for you to buy it back later, it's nice and legal... however if she WAS entitled to half the collection she'd be entitled to half of whatever money you made selling it.

So if you're smart about it, you can 'transfer' the collection to protect it, it'll just cost some cash in the long run.

I don't know how well this will work out, but by the time I get married I plan on having my own house that I own and built myself, my own land, and my own furniture. So essentially I just need to add a wife. Probably make her all mad that nothing's in OUR name, but whatever. It's a silly dream anyways, and 10 years away at least. :/

Here's the thing about that though... despite you owning it all before she came around, she's still entitled to part of it because in the marriage you essentially told her "don't worry about buying a house, car, furniture, dinning sets, appliances, I got all that!" you can't kick her out on the streets with nothing. She'd at least be entitled to enough money to get herself a car and a place to stay with utensils for living until she's back on her feet.

Also, good luck keeping YOUR furniture and appliances after marriage, if she doesn't redecorate right away odds are if the marriage last more then 3 years you'll need to replace them (couches wear out, blenders break) and then, even if you paid for it, it's 'communal' since you bought that couch with the implication it was for your life together.

So what's the morale of the story I'm trying to get across? The Phantom Menace brought pain to many, many people in ways George Lucas will never even know.

He knows, his wife left him... no doubt after hearing endless for 20 years about how "cool" the pod race was going to be.

While you're at it, TM2, you might want to build your own wife. If it's a silly dream, why not make it perfect?

post-2737-1274915109_thumb.jpg

The most important thing with making your own woman is that the bra on your head fits snuggly during the process*.

T.

*See Wierd Science for reference.

Oopps! Looks like T beat me to it . . .

So what's the morale of the story I'm trying to get across? The Phantom Menace brought pain to many, many people in ways George Lucas will never even know.

Bahha ha ha ha. Gold!

hmm,You can store them behind your air conditioner....

Is this some sort of pop culture reference that I don't understand because it doesn't really make sense to me.

Yep, it's from Dexter...

Ok that's why I didn't get it. Thanks.

The trust, created now by you before dementia or scheming relatives take effect, can effectively transfer ownership to the successors of your choosing in a peaceful, tax-free method.

Who said anything about "before dementia" we're all here, so we've all got major problems :lol: