UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What are your Marvel troop building habits?

groundhog7s

I really think DST should re-offer some of these army builders again, but in a box-set format. Have a set containing an aim agent, hydra good, skrull warrior and maybe an exclusive army builder (ie hand ninja, shield agent, spidey-clone <_<:rolleyes: ). Maybe even add some battle damage details to of the previously released ones, just to make it a slight more different. This way, fans and collectors would be able to build multiple armies at once, plus it would be very cost effective on DST's part (no new scultpts or anything) as collectors trying to build massive armies would probably buy multiple sets (i know i would!!!)

To box sets of 4 different army builders I say: NAY!

Right now my army building goes like this:

AIM Soldier: 0

Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent: 0

Skrull: 0

Hydra Agents: 0

Vault Guards: 4 (or as I call them "Lex Luthor's Lackies")

MultipleMan: 0

Kree Soldier: 0

Sentinel: 2

Hellfire Guard: 0

Hammer Drone: 2 from wave 35, 1 Battle Damage (who has a dump drone head stuck on him since ,"drone better")

Dump Hammer Drones: 4 of each

So if they made a box set with an exclusive Hand Ninja (the only non-robot army builder I'd probably want) I'd have to find someone who wanted all my extras.

a TRU or 'filler wave' 2 pack of either 2 of two different army builders would be preferable to me so I could more easily dump off the unwanted double on someone who wants an army of just that figure... of course a two pack of two of the same figures would be ideal but let's not get carried away.

Edited by dr baghead

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially not here. :D I for one could use an extra Vault Guard or two. [hint hint]

For the army builders with two notably different configurations I've toyed with the idea of getting three copies, one to be in config A flanked by two in config B [sentinels, Vault Guards]. The ones with only one setup -- Kree Warrior, Ult SHIELD Agent, AIM Agent -- I just leave as is . The Skrull is a slightly different case, as the wave 28 ones can flank Super Skrull. Multiple Man, too, is essentially two different looks for the character, so I'll display him as that and not bother to army-build him.

I wouldn't be opposed to a box set of 4 army builders, because that way people who want to do that sort of thing can just buy those up while people who aren't really interested don't need to get them. I think the "army builder with variantable figure" is a good idea too though.

I really think DST should re-offer some of these army builders again, but in a box-set format. Have a set containing an aim agent, hydra good, skrull warrior and maybe an exclusive army builder (ie hand ninja, shield agent, spidey-clone <_<:rolleyes: ). Maybe even add some battle damage details to of the previously released ones, just to make it a slight more different. This way, fans and collectors would be able to build multiple armies at once, plus it would be very cost effective on DST's part (no new scultpts or anything) as collectors trying to build massive armies would probably buy multiple sets (i know i would!!!)

that is a nice idea, the only problem would be for people who already have some of those armies, and stick to only getting a certain amount.

i decided a while back that army building could get crazy, so i'd get no more than 5 of each. if the box set contained ones i'd already got and an exclusive, i'd feel the need to buy five box sets for that mate, in this example... the shield agent (i assume you meant a 616 fella!). i'm sure i'm not the only person in that position.

that said, i've not managed to gather armies of skrull or aim agents... so if it was the ones you've mentioned, i'd certainly be up for that!

The ones with only one setup -- Kree Warrior, Ult SHIELD Agent, AIM Agent -- I just leave as is . The Skrull is a slightly different case, as the wave 28 ones can flank Super Skrull.

With simple head swaps, SHIELD Soldiers have endless variations. And if you head swap Skrulls with the four male heads from the Secret Invasion set, you get 5 different versions. You should really think bigger.

Maybe that's my problem.

The ones with only one setup -- Kree Warrior, Ult SHIELD Agent, AIM Agent -- I just leave as is . The Skrull is a slightly different case, as the wave 28 ones can flank Super Skrull.

With simple head swaps, SHIELD Soldiers have endless variations. And if you head swap Skrulls with the four male heads from the Secret Invasion set, you get 5 different versions. You should really think bigger.

Maybe that's my problem.

not at all! I did the same with my shield fellas... and would do the same if i ever got my hands on a few more skrulls.

on the subject of army building/swapping heads... Luke's toy store currently has the hulk movei blonsky/abomination set for only $4... i got myself 5, swap the head and you've got yourself a great SWAT/anti-mutant/bank job/mercenary, etc. squad.

Funny you say that because I've got about 6-7 of him set aside for SWAT purposes. I'm actually thinking about making a Gotham SWAT team and a James Gordon to lead them. I really think that wave would have benefitted from a generic Hulkbuster troop builder to begin with, but Blonsky is close enough.

Funny you say that because I've got about 6-7 of him set aside for SWAT purposes. I'm actually thinking about making a Gotham SWAT team and a James Gordon to lead them. I really think that wave would have benefitted from a generic Hulkbuster troop builder to begin with, but Blonsky is close enough.

ahhh... v.cool, i'd like to say great minds n' all that. I'm working on a Jim Gordon at the moment, and the Blonsky boys are sitting in front of my batmobile, as i've no idea where to display them yet... perhaps it is their destiny?

My comic shop had 25% off of their toys this weekend, and since I already had a $10 Credit with them , I went ahead and got five more army builders to give me:

7-Sentinel

7-AIM Agent

7-Hydra Soldier

7-Skrull Soldier

7-Kree Soldier

To go along with my:

6-Vault Guard

5-Multiple Men

5-Hellfire Club Guards

5-Shield Agents

After some major dusting, I took some pictures of them with my marvel collection.

post-2109-1274000459.jpg

post-2109-1274000481.jpg

post-2109-1274000501.jpg

Thanks for the kind words bobafett & Luke314pi, I appreciate it! I wish I could customize like you Luke (you talents are amazing). However, since I can't, I just try to upgrade some of my dated marvel mates with parts from other figures.

I don't buy multiples of any them, although I do have two Hammer Drones - but that's only because I got one with Pepper Potts and one with Happy Hogan. If I could afford to buy multiples of some of the army builders, I would, but I only started collecting 'mates last year, and took a hiatus from collecting them for a few months this year, so there are still a lot I'm missing. Once I get most of the characters I want that I'm missing, then I'll worry about getting multiples.

Maybe that's my problem.

... I hate you. :D

Actually, nah, I can stay with just one SHIELD agent [although popping on some fleshtone arms can let him go jacketless -- helmetless will require a hairpiece or a headswap, as he has a hole in his head IIRC]. I'd figured that about the Skrulls, and thought of having two different Skrull faces flanking Super Skrull.

After thinking about it a bit, I now really want a 616 SHIELD Agent.

Nice display! My only gripe is the mixing of DC and Marvel. Ewwww! Everybody knows Marvel goes on the top (because they rule) arranged by team, Avengers, Defenders, Champions, X-Men. Then follow the same system with the villains. DC goes on the bottom shelf('cause they stink) and separated only along the lines of bad guys and good guys because all DC heroes are part of the JLA in one way or another and all villains are members of the "Anti JLA" or whatever... nobody can figure out anything else about the DCU.

Now...

Please feel free to tell me to shut the hell up and keep my opinion to myself

If Diamond would just do the right thing and pack army builder together I'd probably have 10 or 12 of each. As it stands I have 7 AIM agents and just 2 of everyone else, except the Sentinel which I sold off both of. It was hard enough getting rid of the extra 6 Bucky Caps. I don't want to have to do the same every time I want to build an army. PACK THEM TOGETHER AND YOU WILL MAKE UNTOLD RICHES.

I agree 100%. Or even put two army builders in the same pack (non variant). I on the other hand have no extra of any of the army builders. Although looking at them standing side by side is making me sure want extras. Don't worry folks I'll make sure to blame it on you to the wife.

Nice display! My only gripe is the mixing of DC and Marvel. Ewwww! Everybody knows Marvel goes on the top (because they rule)

Now...

Please feel free to tell me to shut the hell up and keep my opinion to myself

if thats your opinion... shut the hell up and keep it to yourself

:tongue:

I'm still working on getting more army builders, my financial means are fairly meager right now so I don't have as many as I would wish, especially since I actually can't afford getting the entire series sets at once... but I've no problem w/ too many wolvies, sabretooth (teeth?), caps, etc, since I need custom fodder

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I'd change my avatar (since it was based on Luke's last decal set which has changed), so here's the pic my newest one is based on, I'd like to think of it as 'Yeah, you and what army?':

Oh that is NICE!

Is it real or are some of them photo-shopped?