UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Legends Cards from 2001 vs. Minimates

Binaryan

So I was browsing a set of trading cards from Topps called Marvel Legends.

MARVEL LEGENDS cards

It featured 71 of Marvel's most iconic and well-known heroes and villains. Of these 71 characters, most have been 'Mated and many have seen multiple versions released. Only 6 have yet to be given the Minimate treatment!

1) The Watcher

2) The Lizard

3) Mole Man

4) Kang

5) Mr. Sinister

6) The Toad

Just thought it was interesting to note which characters considered iconic from a decade ago still have yet to be rendered in 2" plastic immortality.

So I was browsing a set of trading cards from Topps called Marvel Legends.

MARVEL LEGENDS cards

It featured 71 of Marvel's most iconic and well-known heroes and villains. Of these 71 characters, most have been 'Mated and many have seen multiple versions released. Only 6 have yet to be given the Minimate treatment!

1) The Watcher

2) The Lizard

3) Mole Man

4) Kang

5) Mr. Sinister

6) The Toad

Just thought it was interesting to note which characters considered iconic from a decade ago still have yet to be rendered in 2" plastic immortality.

Question:

How many characters have yet to be made when excluding Movie Mates?

For Example: Blob has a minimate, but it's only a movie version, which bares little resemblence to the character, beyond being a fat guy. That said, I still consider Blob a character who needs a mate.

And I have to imagine if Toad made the list that Blob could have. They're in just about the same league, as X-Men villains go. That's what made me wonder.

Just curious.

EDIT: Alright, I just went through the list and the answer is none. But I still think I had a valid thought, lol... Guys like Blob need a proper minimate.

Edited by Gillbob316

Well I'd be all for an Uatu mate... if Chuck hadn't flatly aside it's 2" only from here on out.

Ah well.

Lizard's a lock,

Toad is the last guy left on an original promo poster, and fall into that fuzzy 'like to do to finish that out'.

And Kang... is somewhere between a lock and running gag.

Mole Man would be most interesting for a chance at Moloid army goons. That could work against him as much as for him.

Mr. Sinister, while personally important to the last 20 years of X-stories, he works best when surrounded by cannon-fodder assistants.

edited by Miry now that he's not gooked on sleeping meds.

Edited by Mirymate

Mr. Sinister, while personally important to the last 20 years of X-stories, he works best when surrounded by cannon-fodder assistants.

Yeah - he does like the henchmen.

I'd love to see a Marauders box set (unlikely as it is) Sisnester with a Harpoon, Scalphunter & Malice-possessed Polaris.

I'd be surprised if we don't see Toad & Sinister in the near future. In fact, i'll be downright saddended if they don't get a look-in within the next 18 months.

Based on past Q&As, it would seem that Lizard and Kang are in the works. I also agree that Mole Man would be a sweet choice for an FF wave, including Moloids as army builders. Toad is the last of the "preview poster" figures, right? And Sinister is an X-villain, making Uatu the least likely of the bunch, but one that I would buy in a heartbeat regardless.

I want 'em all!

I reckon we'll get Mole-Man as soon as the FF get redone which looks more & more likely. I reckon we'd then get Moloid army builders which would perhaps lead to someone being either arrested....... or admitted for invasive surgery...... when headlines announcing "Hey ,take a look at my Moloids" hit these boards. :ohmy: Bearing in mind that Holey Moley has been around for so long it is almost amazing that he hasn't been 'done'.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I reckon we'll get Mole-Man as soon as the FF get redone which loks more & more likely. I reckon we'd then get Moloid army builders which would perhaps lead to someone being either arrested....... or admitted for invasive surgery...... when headlines announcing "Hey ,take a look at my Moloids" hit these boards. :ohmy: Bearing in mind that Holey Moley has been around for so long it is almost amazing that he hasn't been 'done'.

Yeah I'm certain we'll get a redone FF, with that Ben Grimm that was in the secret wars poll, and the bad guy will be moleman leading to the moloids (is that seriously what those things are called!! :lol: ) as army builders.

My guess is:

Reed & Susan

Johnny & Moleman

Thing & Moloid

Ben Grimm variant & Moloid

Anyways, went a bit off topic there. For me Lizard is a major want, although God knows what sort of Spidey variant they'd package him with...

Toad out of those listed is a "meh" for me, don't really care much about the character at all. Would like all the others but Uatu would be really cool.

Ah, Marvel Cards... I remember those fondly, my first foray into collectibles speculation. I was talked into splitting cases of them with a friend to get the whole set, under the assumption they would be worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars in a few short years.

Now, two decades later, I still have the first four complete sets in binders in the back of a closet... and they regularly sell on ebay for about $15. <_<

Ah, Marvel Cards... I remember those fondly, my first foray into collectibles speculation. I was talked into splitting cases of them with a friend to get the whole set, under the assumption they would be worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars in a few short years.

Now, two decades later, I still have the first four complete sets in binders in the back of a closet... and they regularly sell on ebay for about $15. <_<

x

I (obviously?) never collected these particular cards but as always 'my story' is the complete reverse of everybody else's . I had two complete collections of 'Civil War News' bubble-gum cards which I sold for 'peanuts' when I was about...... :blush: years old .... forty years ago <_< .

I no longer go 'there' on US ebay as it induces nausea :sick:

I have gone back through my old Marvel Trading card collections to see which ones have not had minimates made, but I haven't made a list. I wish I had my card binders at work with me tonight so I would have something more interesting to do then just sit and stare into oblivion!

very cool thread!

and i would definitely buy all 6 of those un-made 'mates (7 counting a comic-accurate version of the blob :P ).