UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Psyguy's customs: More Marvel

Mystique and Revanche are nice, but I love the female Yellowjacket! I wondered if it would be possible to trim down the Yellowjacket wing piece to work for her - now I have my answer. A really well done answer.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a few more I have been working on for a while, on and off.

After seeing youbastard's New Warriors customs last year I really wanted a set of my own. Here's my take on the team, heavily inspired by his set.

Night Thrasher uses his idea for the helmet (Stealth Batman). The body is from Wildcat and the wrist/hand pieces are from Apocalypse.

post-1790-0-59887200-1312633259_thumb.jp

Speedball was a bit of a labour but I am quite pleased how he turned out. He has Darkstalkers Demitri hair, Booster Gold face with a clear decal over it and Nightcrawler bamf base with clear coloured decals. All other details are decals too.

post-1790-0-17412300-1312633450_thumb.jp

Here's the finished group. I slightly modified Firestar again by giving her the AoA Rogue chest piece. Namorita has a new chest decal, FC Emma face and new sculpted ears. Nova borrows heavily from youbastards custom and uses a decal based on Luke's blank male chest decal. Marvel Boy has a modified Yellowjacket mask and Blue Beetle face. He is the one I am least happy with, I might change him a little in the future.

post-1790-0-89224000-1312633678_thumb.jp

Nice work! Glad to see there is another New Warriors fan! Great work on Speedball, he is the one I still need to complete. Got any decals you are willing to share?

Sure! I have the face and chest that you can have. The wrists/legs etc were cut to size from a larger sheet of bubbles/orange background but I can mail you what I used, no problem.

All of your stuff is fantastic and don't look at all like customs, but the real factory made deal.

That Enchantress, Crystal and the set of New Warriors are just about exactly how I'd picture DST doing them. Fantastic work, fella!

Edited by Mystery Man

Damn! Looks like i've missed a couple of your updates. That Speedball is phenominal. I'm not really that familiar with the New Warriors, but he really looks like a lot of effort went into him.

Great work on the Dark X-Men Mystique. I'd hoped that we might see a box-set based on Osborns X-Men like we did for his Avengers, but i think that time has come and gone :( Still, yours is a pretty darn good substitute!

And i Love love LOVE Revanche. She looks remarkably good. And so close to how i remember her in the comics. Very nicely done :thumbsup:

what brand of paint are you using i'm loving the colors and it appears very smooth, i really need to get the decal thing down too, any suggestions for a good printer and decal paper? -M

It's just an old Lexmark inkjet printer. I think the model is a Z605 but I don't think they are made any more. My original printer packed up a couple of months ago and I had just bought new ink cartridges. Luckily I managed to pick up another printer of the same model on ebay for £10, and so far it has been working fine. At some point I would look into getting a brand new printer but for now it suits me.

I use a comibination of different paint brands. At the minute I have some Tamiya, some Revell and a few Vallejo to get a good range of colours. The Revell can be very thick and needs watering down. I find it needs more sanding down after each coat. The Tamiya can be too thin, requiring more coats but I like both brands. I know some board members have recommended Vallejo but I haven't really used them enough to have a strong opinion yet.

The decal paper I get from ebay, I can pass on the seller's details if you would like. I think Luke sells decal paper too.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the comments!

I'm managing to get through quite a few customs that have been in the works for a while at the minute. I am predominantly an X-Men fan, so here are a couple more characters based on their 90's appearances.

Moira Mactaggert was pretty simple. I did consider giving her some glasses and I'm not entirely happy with the hairpiece, but when she wore this costume she did have a similar haircut. She has a Bruce Banner coat, Wasp hair and Pepper Potts face.

post-1790-0-86710900-1313093132_thumb.jp

Spiral is a custom I have wanted to have a go at for a while. She has a T2 Sarah head, a modified Deathstrike hairpiece and sculpted boots. I cut off arm pegs from other torso pieces and glued them to the chest block. She has pretty good articulation in the arms but I had to use a lot of glue and I haven't take the arms off since I put them on, just in case they snap off. At the minute she has Valkyrie/Swordsman swords until I can get some better ones.

post-1790-0-64691100-1313095268_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking!

Moira looks great. I always loved that she had a superhero type jumpsuit under her lab-coat.

But Spiral :jawdrop:

i just . . . she's . . . *nerdgasm*

She's perfect, Psyguy. Perfect!

I love that you've done away with the 6-arm harness-thing spidey had. Keeps her looking more like she did in the comics. Outstanding work.

Edited by Nessex

I like Moira (kinda inspired to make my own now), but your Spiral is phenomenal. Perfect paint, perfect details - love the helmet and boot tassels. And I love the fact that you didn't use the six-arm harness - I think it's too bulky to look good on a Minimate. Great job!

You amaze me a lot. Most of the time I'm not familiar with the older costumes the characters are wearing, and I love your enthusiasm for digging those out. And the customs themself are top notch. That Spiral is just great. Very clever use of parts and very nice details. Cool! Keep up your great work.