UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!!!

minimadman

Will probably rent it. Is this one gonna have that robot owl?

Probably not actually. Sam Worthington reportedly tried to smash the prop they made as a joke. They made it. But he hated Bubo so much he tried to destory it. :)

Still... I'm seeing it sometime after next Tuesday. But I'm seeing it 2D. 3D is just a bit overrated honestly.

Man... Liam Neeson as Zeus. Who better honestly? I mean, the man was born to play the thoughtful badass.

Just got home from seeing Clash of the Titans and as a movie it is very middle of the road. Not great. Not terrible. Not memorable. Sam the robot owl has a very brief appearance as a nod to the original but not is not involved in the story at all. Same Worthington is solid as he has been in all of the movies he has been in. I saw this in 3D but I would not recommend that anyone else should. The 3D was done as an afterthought and it is evident that this movie was not shot with 3D in mind. 3D was used to accentuate the telling of Avatar while it detracts from the enjoyment of Clash of the Titans. Things just looked off. Ostensibly the purpose of 3D is to immerse you into the story so that you almost feel as though you are watching the events unfold through a window instead of on a movie screen, which is how it was used in Avatar. My main problem with Clash is because it was not shot to be shown in 3D the picture was manipulated into 3D and there were several scenes where objects in the foreground, that if the movie was shot in 3D would have been perfectly in focus, were out of focus not only were they out of focus they were out of focus and in your face which only served to show you how out of focus they were. So if you plan to see this movie see the 2D. As I said before it's not a great movie but it by far not the worst thing in the world either. Trekker after you see it I have a couple questions I want to ask you so PM me after you see it.

I am going this weekend and have been really excited to see this as I really liked the old one as a kid and even had a Pegasus toy. I think 3d is ridiculous but my brother still wants to see it in 3d so thanks minimadman for giving me some information to help me to convince him to just go with 2d.

Re: the 3-D issue, I felt similarly about Alice in Wonderland. It didn't make the movie any better or worse, and the brain just forgets that the 3-D effect is going on at a certain point, reducing the utility of having it there. I haven't seen Avatar, but I think 3-D is a cheap gimmick that movies can do without. All the previews at Alice were in 3-D, and though the Tron sequel looked pretty damn cool in 3-D, I'm sure the impact will similarly diminish once you have sat watching it for 10-15 minutes.

BTW, Alice in Wonderland was very mediocre as a movie, so maybe that played some role in my antipathy toward the 3-D gimmick.

Re: the 3-D issue, I felt similarly about Alice in Wonderland. It didn't make the movie any better or worse, and the brain just forgets that the 3-D effect is going on at a certain point, reducing the utility of having it there. I haven't seen Avatar, but I think 3-D is a cheap gimmick that movies can do without. All the previews at Alice were in 3-D, and though the Tron sequel looked pretty damn cool in 3-D, I'm sure the impact will similarly diminish once you have sat watching it for 10-15 minutes.

BTW, Alice in Wonderland was very mediocre as a movie, so maybe that played some role in my antipathy toward the 3-D gimmick.

Avatar in 3D is amazing because it was shot with the intention of being shown in 3D and in the future when other movies shoot with the 3D cameras developed for Avatar the result will likely be the same. If you can still find a theatre playing Avatar in 3D I would highly recommended that you go see it because as far as 3D goes Avatar is the pinnacle and everyone else is just trying to play catch up right now.

RE: Alice I don't like Tim Burton. I think that the guy is a hack. He takes something that could be awesome and makes a highly stylized mundane version of it. I'm also sick of him cramming that German Expressionism down our throats. There is not one Tim Burton movie that you can point out that I can say I really enjoy. The closest i have ever come to liking one is Big Fish. The movie was cast expertly and I love the book but along comes Tim Burton to rip the emotion out of it. Needless to say I have no intention or desire to see Alice in Wonderland.

I actually like Tim Burton. I like that he has a distinctive, interesting style and brings something different to films. I think that Ed Wood, particularly is a top-notch piece of film-making. Though I also enjoy Nightmare Before Christmas (though he wasn't technically director, it was his baby), Edward Scissorhands, and Beetlejuice quite a bit.

However, Alice in Wonderland committed the worst kind of movie sin--it was boring, predictable, and forgettable. Not something I initially expected given the subject matter and Burton's involvement.

I'm looking forward to Clash of the Titans. The original is a real childhood favourite of mine. It's a bit of a shame to hear that it's a little average.

As for Tim Burton - i'm a big fan of his work when he's making more original films. I think Edward Scissorhands is one of the most incredible modern fairytales ever made.

Batman & Batman Returns are also great films. Batman Returns is one of my Top 10 all time favourites.

It's just a shame he doesn't seem to have much luck recreating classics. Planet of the Apes, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, & Sweeney Todd all could have been a lot better.

Edit: Back in topic - if COTT happens to be a fun adventure film with good action, then i'll be happy. I'm not really expecting a mind-blowing plot on this one.

Edited by Nessex

Just got home from seeing Clash of the Titans and as a movie it is very middle of the road. Not great. Not terrible. Not memorable. Sam the robot owl has a very brief appearance as a nod to the original but not is not involved in the story at all. Same Worthington is solid as he has been in all of the movies he has been in. I saw this in 3D but I would not recommend that anyone else should. The 3D was done as an afterthought and it is evident that this movie was not shot with 3D in mind. 3D was used to accentuate the telling of Avatar while it detracts from the enjoyment of Clash of the Titans. Things just looked off. Ostensibly the purpose of 3D is to immerse you into the story so that you almost feel as though you are watching the events unfold through a window instead of on a movie screen, which is how it was used in Avatar. My main problem with Clash is because it was not shot to be shown in 3D the picture was manipulated into 3D and there were several scenes where objects in the foreground, that if the movie was shot in 3D would have been perfectly in focus, were out of focus not only were they out of focus they were out of focus and in your face which only served to show you how out of focus they were. So if you plan to see this movie see the 2D. As I said before it's not a great movie but it by far not the worst thing in the world either. Trekker after you see it I have a couple questions I want to ask you so PM me after you see it.

This article pretty much sums up why 3D worked fine enough for Avatar, but was absolutely ridiculous for everything else.

And I used to watch the original Ray Harryhausen Clash of the Titans a lot as a kid. While the original was cheesy and silly fun in its own unique way, honestly I was never sold on the idea of remaking it in the first place. And I'm not saying this because of the special effects, I'm saying this because when it gets right down to it the general plot for Clash was pretty thin. It was a very basic Boy Saves Girl story sidetracked by some neat creature effects and some real uppity, power-tripping old people. And not even the "polish" of CGI and modern filmmaking can salvage a mediocre story IMO.

(And yes, I know it was derived from Greek mythology. But come on! Those were genuinely thrilling and scary stories that lasted for generations! If you can't even get the bizarro origins of a winged horse or the cosmic irony behind Medusa right then there is no helping you.)

I loved it. Sure it's campy, but if you are a fan of Greek Mythology, The original movie, or the even older Jason and the Argonauts, I think you'll be pleased. I loved seeing all the Mythological creatures recreated in all their computer generated glory. It's very action-packed...one fight leads to another and that's exactly what I was looking for. No provocative, thought inducing drama here. Just good old fashion adventure and I'll probably buy this when it comes out on DVD. It will get horrible reviews by the critics but I don't care. I was very entertained.

Well I just saw it.

Good acting.

Awesome Effects

TERRIBLE script.

So overall it worked. Highlights:

The Bubo cameo.

Liam Neeson

The last stand of the Kracken

Did I mention the fall-in-the-floor laughing Bubo cameo?

Look for my PM Minimadman.

It was just as expected: an action film. Nothing more than that.

There was no heart or rational in the story to it; everything was pushed aside to overglorify the CGI fight scenes. If you want to see something cool, just watch the old one.

Sam Worthington is awesome and Liam Neeson once again makes gods look cool. His character was very flip-floppy, though, but it's all creditted to the horrible script.

I loved Owl2-D2 in the classic. LOL

Just saw this one myself.

It's pretty much as i expected. I went with reasonably low expectations, and was entertained for 80% of the film. Decent action sequences, great costuming and locations.

The last 15 minutes was pretty tragic, but apart from that, i think it was a fun B-grade action/adventure film.