UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

HALO minimates

Hi everyone i just heard that they are realesing HALO minimates OMG!!!! the announcement was on diamond select toys website it says that it will include master chief, a marine, a spartan in scout, and an elite so AWSOME!!! there will be an announcement at SDCC this year i hope they release pics soon!!!

I'm not too excited about HALO being announced(don't play it much), seeing as we're getting pounded with Halo products but I suppose these will be a cheaper alternative to the full-scaled ones. You can make your live Spartan without having to spend tons of money on the other figures, so that's always a bonus. I just wonder if they will do armor/weapon packs like McFarlane?

ps: We need Halo Wars Arbiter! :D

I'm not too excited about HALO being announced(don't play it much), seeing as we're getting pounded with Halo products but I suppose these will be a cheaper alternative to the full-scaled ones. You can make your live Spartan without having to spend tons of money on the other figures, so that's always a bonus. I just wonder if they will do armor/weapon packs like McFarlane?

ps: We need Halo Wars Arbiter! :D

I agree with you on this one. I was never too big a fan of Halo. I mean, I loved Halo 2's multiplayer, but I never cared for the single player. I'll pick up a few probably. These I might play with though lol. But kind of disappointed that it wasn't something else. Also as said above, what happened to the TV/Movie idea. Although, the Black Lagoon and Wolfman might be under that category, I thought more would have come of it.

Not very excited for these since there's been lots of Halo product already, but I can see why DST would make them. Halo has huge potential to be a long lasting line and there's tons of parts reuse.

Just look at the McFarlane Halo line and you can see how DST can get lots of releases by repainting every armor style in every color, etc, etc.

I hope some of the larger characters (Brute, etc) use the 2.5 inch body to give the line a little variety.

I hope some of the larger characters (Brute, etc) use the 2.5 inch body to give the line a little variety.

Sadly, that is one thing that probably won't happen; DSTChuck seems to be very set against using the larger 'Mate bodies. Which one thing that always concerns me when a sci-fi line is announced for Minimates. We'll see if they can do the Brutes justice.

Man, I just hope they don't do what McFarlane has done. I don't freaking care about Multiplayer. I played for the story. That's why Halo 1 was the best IMHO. It was a well fleshed out story that the multiplayer just happened to be cool. I know I'm in the minority, but whatever. I don't want all this stuff that wasn't in the single player story. All the Armors are just a waste of space. They need to focus on the campaign characters. $0.02

The bulk of my experience with HALO comes from Red vs. Blue, so here's hoping the color variants allow me to flesh out the teams accordingly.

Of course, thinking about it, a paintbrush and a few extras could probably suit my needs fine. Let's not beat this line to death with variants of the same figure.

Edited by drgnrbrn316

Let's not beat this line to death with variants of the same figure.

I would bet money on this happening. Halo is a license tailor made for cheap repaints. They are going to have elaborate, sculpted parts, and they are most likely gonna be used over and over and over until this line runs out of steam.

Yeah, and to an extent that justifies the occasional repaint of Master Chief or the like. It's when they release a box set containing all of the same figure in a variety of colors, all with the same accessories, that you have to take a step back and say "maybe we should explore our options".

I seem to recall Kubrick went to that well a couple of times.

Maybe it has been mentioned and I didn't see it in this oh so long thread that I can not be bothered to read carefully, but I can see these being single packed which would make them perfect to sell at game stores. The singles being different color variations they could even do singles of aliens and then singles of the soldiers (or whatever name they have as I have never played the game).

Yeah, and to an extent that justifies the occasional repaint of Master Chief or the like. It's when they release a box set containing all of the same figure in a variety of colors, all with the same accessories, that you have to take a step back and say "maybe we should explore our options".

I seem to recall Kubrick went to that well a couple of times.

I agree, that's not ideal. No matter how they choose to release them, I think that variety will help move figures. The multi-player modes have various different helmets and weapons, right? So, same chest, arm, and leg armor, but 4-5 different helmets to mix-and-match with releases, of various colors and with various tampos on them, of course. Then, there are the various types of aliens, and the non-Spartan humans (of which there is a fair amount of variety--women, people of different ethnicities, people of different ranks with different outfits). Lots of options there. It would be a shame to see them go the narrow route that the Kubricks took, in my opinion.

u see i think this line could do good if DST did a few things first i would change the box set to master chief, cortana, marine and the arbiter with swords, and second they should make it so the armor can be switched like if u have a helmet and u want another shoulder pad to go with it they should be able to change it, and thirdly they should make the box sets just for the story line and the two packs for the multiplayer and maybe they could do single packs of like marine, elites, and the flood i mean who doesnt want a mini chief and i would love to see jackel and grunts, and fourthly they should do all of the games like do halo, halo 2, halo 3, halo wars, ODST, and the big one REACH!!! they could do all of the charaters from reach and u could take off their helmets and have their faces and hair that would be the bomb lol this line to me could be amazing. ;)

These REAAAAAAAALY need to be carefully planned out. McFarlane almost sank their own gravy boat several times in the last few years. Waiting almost 3 years to get Johnson? Big mistake. And I think they should stick with the Mark IV/VI armors, not because they're everyone's favorites, but because they're the most instantly recognizable.

Also, I just finished watching Halo Legends. I think DST could pick up where McFarlane dropped the ball, giving us characters from RvB and legends, such as 1337 and the exo-suit. :)

I guess my point is in a few years we could be looking at Halo Mates as an Icarus type cautionary tale if DST isn't careful.

I have an slightly unrelated question that I didn't really want to start a whole new thread on. Do yall think it would be a good idea for me to sell my Halo3 figs? I don't really love them, have no room to display them and have no hope of catching up. And if they're really doing Minimates, and KEEP doing them, I'd much rather collect that. But I still like Halo and the detail is amazing. So... Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks?

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I don't really love them

Which I guess means you're just keeping them because you appreciate the craftsmanship and the video game they represent. But if you're not crazy about them, then I wouldn't bother keeping them. Celebrate HALO with a poster or something.

Also, -snide remark here-. So suck it.

Do yall think it would be a good idea for me to sell my Halo3 figs? I don't really love them, have no room to display them and have no hope of catching up.

I think you just answered your own question TM2 :biggrin:

I'm in a similar boat with a load of my old Spidey stuff (90s figures) they take up a lot of room and they're up in the loft (attic to you US types ;) ) so don't get looked at. I'm gonna bung them on eBay, I'll probably get little money for them, but they're taking up valuable room, especially seeing as my mini collection is growing.

I suspect DST is going to be overly cautious with this franchise. Especially after Street Fighter II burned down, fell over, then sank into the mud.

That being said, I'm willing to wager that between DST and TRU, we'll still see plenty of product hitting shelves, maybe to the point where we're all crying that we've gotten 30+ Master Chiefs and wouldn't mind getting Cortana or one of the other faces of the franchise.

I talked about this in the toyfair thread a bit but I'll join in here:

Halo has the POTENTIAL to make the best minimates out there to date. Don't argue with me until you hear me out.

The character diversity and designs make for great looking creatures which would make the set look phenomenal. They have everything they could need: Bright colors, interesting accessories and a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Maybe I'll throw together some pics of different characters.

That said... I'm nervous. Thinking along the same lines as Dinobot I'm not sure they'll use the license to it's strengths.

It's that first boxset that makes me nervous.

That first boxset should be the Halomates I have.

It should be:

Master Chief, Cortanna, a Grunt and an Elite.

Why? Because it includes main characters and army builders and keeps the line looking diverse. It's a good first building block.

I think Halo babies is a good indication of what cute, big headed minimates could look like:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/halo-babies/art/news_hb3.jpg

http://www.meupapeldeparedegratis.net/game...s-christmas.asp

Alright, they're a little over the top, but that second pic shows half a dozen of the 30 possible characters and you have to admit they all are appealing to the eye and would make a great selection.

Edited by Nestlé

I'm on record as perhaps implying that Halo isn't spectacular in my view. I am always willing to learn & bear in mind the only contact I have with Halo is kubricks then....forgive me! The kubricks were 'lazy toys'...same mould..different colours. I HAVE SINCE LEARNED that there is much more to Halo than Medicom was showing me ....SO....I hope this line bears fruit.I want it to ..... I really do.