UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A Doctor Voodoo Minimate would have made a great fundraiser for Haiti.

Lobsterman

I was just thinking about that today. I know it's totally impractical based on the several-month lead time DST needs, but special promo 'mate would have been a really cool way to do some good. He's got a current (and very entertaining, if you haven't read it) book, and the character is from Haiti, so it's topical.

Just thinking, that's all.

i'd buy him!

I've never read him, but he looks pretty kick-ass!

And it'd be pretty topical! especially after the 'solar bible' & 'deal witht he devil' issues in the news recently.

Edited by Nessex

I am never going to get used to the idea that this guy who spent most of his creation being openly mocked by Marvel for being lame is now suddenly an "it" character.

Well it all started when Marvel decided he should "replace" Doctor Strange as Sorcerer Supreme, right? Maybe the promotion was a sort of retroactive apology. :P

How long do you think it'll take for the status quo to be restored (if it will be)? Any chance of Strange becoming Sorcerer Supreme or at least taking a more active role in the magical side of Marvel again?

Bendis's pattern is pretty well established at this point- during the build up to the current crisis, in this case the Siege, he starts laying hints at what's coming next. Hellstrom mentioned when the Hood came after Strange that the universe was headed for cataclysm, and had been for years. Only Strange's skills as Sorcerer Supreme were keeping the worlds turning. I think the phrase was something about a doomsday clock. I think that's your next line wide crossover and it will end with either Voodoo or Strange's death... or both. As much as Bendis loves the Hood, I wouldn't be shocked if he wound up SS for a while. I mean, his other current favorite toy, Sentry, just got promoted to more powerful than the Molecule Man/Cosmic Cube. Why not the Hood?

So yes, I expect Strange to be very prominent a year from now.

The big-time, iconic characters never stay gone too long in Marvel or DC. Even if a writer who "writes them out" wants them to stay out, some other writer or editor will bring them back, anyway. I know zip about this storyline, but I would bet large sums of money that Strange will be back as he was in the not-too-distant-future.

The big-time, iconic characters never stay gone too long in Marvel or DC. Even if a writer who "writes them out" wants them to stay out, some other writer or editor will bring them back, anyway. I know zip about this storyline, but I would bet large sums of money that Strange will be back as he was in the not-too-distant-future.

I think this was part of the reason I stopped buying comics about 5 years ago... after a couple of decades of reading, I saw the same patterns again and again. There used to be a saying "Nobody stays dead but Bucky", now that isn't even true. I saw a cartoon years ago, a salesman calling on the X-Mansion asking for Jean Grey. The character responded something like "Sorry, she's dead. Come back next week."

Yeah, that's one of many issues I have with modern comics. However, I did read the "return of Bucky" storyline recently. And yeah, it was an incredibly dumb idea, IMO, but that Brubaker fella made it work. Those issues of Cap make for some riveting storytelling.

I think this was part of the reason I stopped buying comics about 5 years ago... after a couple of decades of reading, I saw the same patterns again and again. There used to be a saying "Nobody stays dead but Bucky", now that isn't even true. I saw a cartoon years ago, a salesman calling on the X-Mansion asking for Jean Grey. The character responded something like "Sorry, she's dead. Come back next week."

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/387103

Is that it?

Yeah, that's one of many issues I have with modern comics. However, I did read the "return of Bucky" storyline recently. And yeah, it was an incredibly dumb idea, IMO, but that Brubaker fella made it work. Those issues of Cap make for some riveting storytelling.

I hope I had some influence on you Sam because I seem to remember heralding the latest Captain America run as perhaps the best comics run I've ever read . Bucky as the reluctant hero has been terrific in CA but his cameos in the Avengers do leave a bit to be desired with very little depth.

But I guess the underlying issue here is if Brother Voodoo is ever going to get a minimate, now is the time. And yeah, it's a shame they can't capitalize on both the characters never been higher visability and his ties to Haiti.

I hope I had some influence on you Sam because I seem to remember heralding the latest Captain America run as perhaps the best comics run I've ever read . Bucky as the reluctant hero has been terrific in CA but his cameos in the Avengers do leave a bit to be desired with very little depth.

Your rave review was, indeed, the reason that I got the "Captain America Omnibus" for Christmas. However, I left off on issue 25 there, right before the post-Rogers Cap era begins. I will pick those volumes up eventually, though.

I don't know anything about Brother/Doctor Voodoo, but it would be a great opportunity for DST to help raise some funds. I guess there might still be time to get a simple design as a summer exclusive.

Karamazov80, I'm glad to see you've come around. You really need to read the rest of Brubaker's run post-haste.

Hard to say how simple. Lot's a little details and such. But not new parts needed. Since he took Strange's job, he's got Strange's Amulet and cape too. Sash belt. Not sure they have enough lead time at this point.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/387103

Is that it?

No, but thanks for the link.