UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Winter Movie Season 2009

Trekker 42

Well it has started and I guess we may as well make a thread for it. I can say I saw the first movie of the winter movie season today: A Christmas Carol.

And it more or less sucked. I say sucked because of one fatal flaw: it was too faithful. Now if you're wanting an excellent adaptation of A Christmas Carol, near word-for-word with an extra dash of freakin' scary thrown in, you'll LOVE it. But I expected a comedy version of it. Not that it was without comedy. But it had so little of it that you can tell they dragged every bit of comedy out for the trailers.

And here's an important factoid: 3D IS THE WAY TO GO! Some of the effects are SO incredible they need to be seen in 3D! If you do see it, make sure you find the 3D showing. It's not worth it without it.

Which is sad as it cannot stand on its own without the 3D effects.

Also a word of caution to the parents: this movie has some truly disturbing parts. And, oddly enough, not all of them are the fault of Christmas Future. The Ghost of Christmas Present is given a much more dramatic end than the book gave him. In the book, he disappeared.

In this adaptation, he was well and truly killed. Dissolved until naught but a laughing skeleton remained. And when that went, came Future. Christmas Future, in fact, is mildly scary. His dark horses are basically

nightmare fuel and his black skeletal hand is the only full feature you get a clear glance of. Which in and of itself is disturbing.

And Marley has a jawbreak. Full on mouth ripped nearly off jawbreak.

But overall, I'd give it a 3/5 and a See It Once if You Are A Fan. But know what you are getting into amigos.

Edited by Trekker 42

215535297_B2j5j-L-2.jpg

Seems to be getting harder and harder to find good movies to watch for the holidays. Of course we don't usually have this problem, if only because the local movie industry ends up making those decisions for us. Cheapo special effects worthy of a 1970s Doctor Who special ahoy!

Since my wife was planning on taking our nine-year-olds, I appreciate the warning. However, maybe some spoiler warnings would have been nice.

Although, I do feel very weird for recommending spoiler warnings for a story that was written over a century ago.

Yeah I got that a lot today. "Don't spoil it!"

My first retort is "It's A FREAKIN CHRISTMAS CAROL! How the HELL do you spoil A Christmas Carol?!?! You've seen it fifty times already! Lord."

But if you REALLY want Spoiler Tags, I can do it.

While we're at it:

Soylent Green is people.

Norman Bates did it.

It was all a dream.

The Nazis lose.

And for that matter...

spoiler-t-shirt.jpg

And on a less serious note...

spoiler_alert.png

Although you have to wonder what kind of society we're living in when kids can't be bothered with being properly acquainted with classics like A Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, Sherlock Holmes or Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. The... future scares me.