UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Advice Requested re: Removal of Toys

karamazov80

If any of this is helping Sam then I'd be very surprised . Danny's tale,for example, run's parallel to my own & you guys have at least the possibility of growing out of it......me....I'm f*&ked. Fortunately I've never married otherwise I'd have surely collected ex-wives :mellow:

My loft collapsed :sad:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Okay, here's how I did/doing mine. I make a section for stuff I WILL NOT live without. Blackarachnia (my first TF), 20 Optimus Prime, Black Cat statue, ect. Then stuff that over all I'm keeping but could do with weeding down. Beast Era, Spiderman. Followed by stuff I really like but could sell if the price is right. Star Wars, comics, ect. This is finished up with stuff I want to sell. Armada, and, um, yeah, this is where it gets tough.

There's a toy show near me, so I'm packing up ALL of sections 3 and 4, and part of section 2. Anything I might even remotely be inclined to get rid of. There's a local toy show they I got a table at. So I take eveything down there and sell it. I can look the person in the eye, know if they're scalping or if they'll take good care of my stuff. I can lower the price to what I find is acceptable. It puts me in control more than ebay does. And if I have my Transmetal Tigertron sitting there for $200, and I want $150 out of it, and someone offers me $175, that's more intensive to clean it out. Plus you don't want to lug the stuff home with you.

Hope that helps

However, at some point about two years ago I realized the old dilemma: infinite growth isn't possible with finite resources. I came up with a decision and although it seems kinda tough, I'm sticking to it and it works: for every new record I want to buy, I have to get rid of an old one, which isn't easy. I usually give those away to friends, sometimes sell it on eBay or to record stores, and I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Not a bad idea. . .but when a new series of 7 Minimates gets released, that would mean getting rid of 7 I already have :ohmy:

Not sure I can do it that way.

As for Danny, when I was feeling down as a youngster, my parents would sometimes give me a video game or toy to cheer me up, and yeah, I still do that myself sometimes. It is a fleeting, superficial way to over-come feeling bad, but so what, right?? :D

As for kids playing with stuff. No worries there, I don't have any. . .yet ;)

I'm beginning to think that the best way for me to handle this problem is to go the "cold turkey" route--just put it on eBay and deal with the inevitable regret when it hits.

Today I moved an entire car-full of crap into storage, and dropped off one box full of stuff at the local Goodwill. The hoard to remove ratio isn't great, but at least I got rid of some stuff.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 years later...

I can't believe this thread is nearly 4 years old. . .I think back on it often, whenever I see the boxes and boxes of stuff I've accumulated. Not bumping this thread for no reason though. I think I've finally, somehow, managed to make real headway with this problem. I've sold off the bulk of my Marvel Legends, DC Universe, and 25th Anniversary GI Joes over the last couple of weeks. And I feel no regret whatsoever. I think the main thing for me was just convincing myself to start doing it. Now that all these things have been sold and shipped out, any perceived attachment I once had isn't there anymore. And it's damn nice to make some dents into clearing out space while at the same time putting some much needed funds back into my checking account.

Of course, the next great frontier are my Minimates and Kubricks. I reckon about 70-80% of them have gotsta go. And then, I'm thinking my Sideshow statues. At that point, my collection would be whittled down almost exclusively to 1/6 scale stuff, core Minimates and Kubs, and vintage figures. I look forward to that day! . . .wife wants me to hang onto Muppets for the youngsters, but I might be able to convince her otherwise.

If only!

I actually think that somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I might one day have a boy, and if so, I could pass all this junk down. Now, it's looking like that's not gonna happen, so that may be another reason why this is so easy to move out. The birth of my second one was definitely a major catalyst just in the sense that I couldn't use her room as my own personal storage area anymore :lol: . . .that's not a joke :(

Edited by karamazov80

I'm going through that too, my parents recently moved to the area and I've been slowly taking the stuff I want to keep over there, so I can start clearing out the stuff I want to get rid of. It is kind of fun and cathartic, looking back on stuff that once really held my attention, and now it just takes up space.

My biggest problem is my comic collection, 50 - 75 full long boxes. Part of me wants to just sell them off in a package to a dealer, but I know I would get the most money selling them off in lots.

Shoot, I'm saved that problem because my parents have all my old comics taking up space at their place biggrin.png

But if I ever have the time to go through them, that should also be pretty easy for me since there is really only a small percentage of those that I would want to keep at this point. The vast bulk of the 90s junk I collected could be donated to charity for all I care.

Edited by karamazov80

I've recently been moving things out, too. My clost of awesomeness is overflowing and some things just needed to go. Its nice to get some space back.