UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bttf MiniMates

That's the greatest thing about the eBay--

. You don't bid to just bid on it. Not to be the guy with the highest bid 2 minutes in. I don't care if you have no bids, you bid to win. When you start telling me it don't matter, stop bidding. Get out. That that that. . .this whole conversation bothers me.

:D

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In almost every ebay auction I ever bid in (on?) I bid in the last five seconds & always bid the highest possible amount that I feel the item is worth to me*. If I'm not the highest bidder I never consider that I have 'lost' I just didn't bid as much as what somebody else considered the item to be worth. Simplistic but it works for me. The only time I bid 'early' is to draw out the opposition in an 'unusual item' auction.

* Bidding $80,for example, as my 'tops' & then winning it for $30 is one of life's great pleasures .

Maybe I'm not helping :(

My last post was half-way in jest, Joe, but the underlying truth is that sniping happens in over half of the auctions that I watch. It happens all the time, and that isn't going to change. It sucks at first, but you eventually get used to it and learn to play the game.

Edited by karamazov80

Snipers snipe because there are always other bidders out there who don't know how to properly use eBay. People will bid the ideal amount they want to pay (instead of their true maximum), get outbid at the last second, and then decide they would have gone higher. If everyone just bid their maximum at the outset, sniping would have no benefit.

Well, one benefit -- when you bid at the last minute it's a lot easier to avoid the feeling of "winning" or ownership that pops up when you have the high bid for an extended period.

However, some people (at some times) may not know the true maximum amount that they are willing to pay until they are outbid. A lot of this may come from regret, and they may then bid much more highly the next time around.

That's true... As BHM says, I put an effort into not thinking about auctions in terms of winning/losing, which helps. I also have learned to really think over what my max is when I first bid. And definitely NOT increase that bid to "compete" with another last-minute bidder -- talk about regrets! Getting caught up and overpaying annoys me much more than getting outbid.

It's definitely a frustrating site if you come at it with the wrong mindset.

Edited by battlecat

Ebay is so buyer orientated these days & I actually gave up selling on it ages ago *. There was a time when you knew who you were bidding against & had the option of backing off.....you had the option :whistling: .....these days it's a battlefield & it is slowly turning into EBIN...Buy it Now ....don't bid just buy.

* my current auctions are the first in years ......I'll see how it goes.

Edited by buttheadsmate

speaking of rare over-priced BTTF merchandise LOL I see someone on ebay has a listing for a loose BTTF Delorean micro-machine (not the "action hovercars") for $75 - I also have this particular micro machine at home (and the police & delorean action hovercars as well, though Ive lost my texaco hoverport that goes with them) but I dont consider it so rare that I would ask $75 for it, that's ridiculous. does anyone else here have this (or a similarly rare BTTF item) and whats your opinion of the asking price?

539c_35.JPG

speaking of rare over-priced BTTF merchandise LOL I see someone on ebay has a listing for a loose BTTF Delorean micro-machine (not the "action hovercars") for $75 - I also have this particular micro machine at home (and the police & delorean action hovercars as well, though Ive lost my texaco hoverport that goes with them) but I dont consider it so rare that I would ask $75 for it, that's ridiculous. does anyone else here have this (or a similarly rare BTTF item) and whats your opinion of the asking price?

I have no idea what that's worth, but I remember wanting that set when I was a kid and not being able to find it even then. :P

I had a similar eBay experience recently when I saw this, which I have packed away somewhere in my parents' basement (I even have the box it came in, unlike this listing). Then again, we've all seen some ludicrous asking prices on minimate listings before, so who knows whether these prices have any meaning?

Awwww, you're such a good uncle! :D

I'm still trying to get my hands on that second movie set, but the first boxset really is a well-designed set of Minimates. It's already been mentioned a couple times what a fantastic Minimate the first Marty McFly is, but I always thought that Lorraine was a nice piece of design too... I mean, an actual li'l painted giraffe on her poodle skirt!

Fortunately around here we believe in a little something we like to call "toy karma." Hope you'll be able to procure a nice, snazzy set of BTTF 'mates for yourself one day! ;)

yes, he's almost 6 and he's like a son to me and Ive got him interested in alot of the things I used to like (and still like) like Ghostbusters & Back to the Future - he already has the series 3 BTTF fourpack, as well as the Enchantment under the Sea set and for a valentines present this weekend I got him the Marty/Old Biff set and the DST light up/sfx 1:15 Delorean, he's going to freak out!

Congrats, Joe! That would have been a good price for those Minimates before they got crazy expensive. I would suggest that only the MIB collectors are driving up the prices, but I saw a loose lot go for a lot more than that a couple weeks ago.

I just started collecting older movie Minimates late last year. The Ghostbusters Minimates were the first Minimates I purchased. Soon after I started researching past releases and decided to try to track down stuff like the Back to the Future sets. It's been extremely difficult to find some of these sets for a reasonable price. But, a couple days after those $100 BTTF 1 Minimates auctions ended, I just happened to be searching Amazon for them and found this:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa123/J.../bttfamazon.jpg

Needless to say I ordered them. I received them safely a few days later exactly as advertised.

For all the talk of how rare the BTTF 1 set, in all the searching I've been doing these past couple months, I've seen about three times as many BTTF 1 sets go up for sale as BTTF 2 sets. EBay's only had 3 packaged sets of BTTF2 and no online stores have had them in stock (I was outbid on one and the others were $20 buy-it-nows which were sold before I saw them). Meanwhile BTTF 1 sets are up to about 10 copies sold and more are being added to eBay every time after the last one sells out. Then there was the loose set of both mentioned in this thread which luckily for the winner was listed as "mini mate" with a space so my search never returned it or I might have bid more than the $20.50.

Unless you count the BBTS pre-order for the BTTF 2 set. That's a confusing one to me. I ordered a couple in January after which they went out-of-stock as pre-orders. Then a couple days later, the pre-order opened up again and there were 23 sets available. That's now down to about 19. But it had said anticipated arrival was in January, then January passed and the anticipated arrival date moved to February. I also pre-ordered a Good, Bad and Ugly Minimates set from BBTS last week. It then moved to sold out status, then a couple days later opened up for pre-order again with about 12 copies available. Why is BBTS the only online store offering these sets for pre-order if they are still available? My only guess is they have contacts with comic book stores who don't sell online. But then how can they keep the price as low as $13.99 if they're not getting them direct from Diamond, and why is it taking so long for them to come in?

Edited by JediJones

Fortunately around here we believe in a little something we like to call "toy karma."

We do? :huh:

You know, I really wish I'd picked these up when I had the chance. :/ I remember Luke or Fujis had an auction with ALL of them, and a Delorean, and it went for like $75 shipped. I so wanted to win that. That was when i started realizing I'd better get rolling or I'd never get them. Looks like I'm never getting them. :P

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

why does the series 1 Doc have green gloves/mittens on? I dont remember that from the movie which Ive seen about a hundred times...

I believe he's wearing gloves when he slides down the cable to re-attach the doohickey that powers the flux capacitor / hook thingy on the Delorean. Sliding down cables can cause nasty blisters.

whew! that was a nail-biter. I had 1 or more people bidding against me in the final seconds of the end of the auction, but I got the series 1 (loose) BTTF minimates for $23.01 + $5.65... more then I wanted to pay for loose minis (considering I recently won an auction for all 8 loose figures from series 1 and 2 for my nephew) but considering these are OOP, I shouldn't complain. at some point I'd also like to pick up series 2, but it seems those are even more rare then series 1

6696895.jpg

now I have to construct some sort of Clocktower diorama LOL

whew! that was a nail-biter. I had 1 or more people bidding against me in the final seconds of the end of the auction, but I got the series 1 (loose) BTTF minimates for $23.01 + $5.65... more then I wanted to pay for loose minis (considering I recently won an auction for all 8 loose figures from series 1 and 2 for my nephew) but considering these are OOP, I shouldn't complain. at some point I'd also like to pick up series 2, but it seems those are even more rare then series 1

6696895.jpg

now I have to construct some sort of Clocktower diorama LOL

Everything seems rare once it's gone ;)