UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

They're over-using the big crotch piece...

Gillbob316

Okay, so the big crotch piece...

I understood it when they started using it on huge characters, like Hulk...

I even get it on not huge, but semi-big guys like Sabretooth...

They started to lose me when I found one on Wolverine... I said, "Why?" but lived with it...

But now I find one on the Skrull? A SKRULL? WHY!? They're scrawny little green guys from space... why did the generic Skrull need a big crotch piece? The SUPER Skrull didn't even have a big crotch, and he's SUPER!

Matt and Chuck have gone mad with power in the big crotch department and must be stopped, I say!

Seconded . . .

I think even Iron Patriot could have done without it - but there are some who like him bulked out in the crotch to balance the shoulders and boots.

EDIT: I also think FA Sabretooth doesn't really need the crotch piece. He wasn't a huge hulking beast of a man until much later. Hopefully the crotch piece underneath is painted so that the slip can be taken off & the 'Mate displayed without it.

Edited by Nessex

If you could shape shift, wouldn't you make your crotch bigger?

Just a thought.

I agree as well. The big crotch piece should only be used with "specific" characters. Firstly any and all Wolverines should never, ever use this piece. It only makes him look bigger/taller when in fact the character we all know and love is a shrimp (no offense Wolverine, but you're short). I also find the big crotch piece distracting on the Terminator mates. Because the Governator doesn't have a big chest piece, the big crotch piece throws off his proportions. That's just my rant.

You know, I didn't think I'd come across a more amusing/uncomfortable toy discussion than a now ancient fwoosh thread about the shape of female ML's bottoms. Now we're seriousy discussing the size of minimates' crotches... live and learn.

It wouldn't be so bad if they would print a similar tampo on the normal sized crotch piece underneath, but they rarely do that. I hate the giant mechanical diapers on the T2 Endoskeletons, but the underlying blank crotch piece on a highly detailed minimate looks just as odd.

Seconded . . .

I think even Iron Patriot could have done without it - but there are some who like him bulked out in the crotch to balance the shoulders and boots.

EDIT: I also think FA Sabretooth doesn't really need the crotch piece. He wasn't a huge hulking beast of a man until much later. Hopefully the crotch piece underneath is painted so that the slip can be taken off & the 'Mate displayed without it.

It's molded in black plastic. ;)

I totally agree with all of this. I started to stare at my 3 Skrulls as soon as i opened them, and considered bending the slipover to see if there was a line underneath and could be taken off. Needless to say, i didn't.

Wolverine's using it is totally ridiculous; he's the shortest X-man (for his age, at least)!! Why in God's name do you need to bulk him up?? Keep it to Hulk and Iron Man's enemies (the BIG Robotic ones, THAT DESERVE IT) and away from small-fries.

I hadn't really noticed this. There are two reasons to this; One, TBT is right; Two, they had extra, big crotch pieces, and they wanted to spread the joy.

Edited by The GrumbleGrumbles

Truthfully, I've been wondering why DST has added a crotch-enhancement piece to the Silver Age X-Men - Cyclops minimate. (Was this an error, in that the crotch piece is meant to be placed on the Beast figurine? Was it done to emphasize Scott's status as team leader? Seriously, why???)

post-950-1251566213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega_M

Must be DST's manner of representing the costumes as "onesies" or something. Call it a bizarre design decision similar to duck feet. Hopefully there will still be time to fix that not-so-little oddity on the final release.

You know, I didn't think I'd come across a more amusing/uncomfortable toy discussion than a now ancient fwoosh thread about the shape of female ML's bottoms. Now we're seriousy discussing the size of minimates' crotches... live and learn.

There have been a couple of discussions here about the presence (or lack thereof) of underwear on skirted minimates... not to mention the disappearing cleavage on the BTTF Lorraine prom mate. Much more amusing/uncomfortable than this! :P

Anyway, I agree, "powerhouse crotches" are overused. I wanted a cowboy Logan mate until I saw his.

I am not a fan of the big crotch pieces, I'm just glad they didn't use it again on wave 28 wolverine

Actually, they did. It's a red belt with and X on it, though at least there's a belt printed on the pelvis underneath.

Though I don't like them, I can kind of understand them. The chest block is wider than the crotch piece, so the crotch piece seems like a good idea toward giving the crotch an equal width. However, the belt slip-overs without the huge crotch part seem to work better for that purpose.

Edited by karamazov80

yeah ,i think that the crotch pieces should only be for larger characters because :

1 it makes them taller because you dont want a six foot character such as collosus to be the same size as , say WOLVERINE! ( sorry he's short)

2 a normal crotch piece would look stupid on a minimate like hulk

also they give armored characters like iron man more bulky armor pieces

Truthfully, I've been wondering why DST has added a crotch-enhancement piece to the Silver Age X-Men - Cyclops minimate. (Was this an error, in that the crotch piece is meant to be placed on the Beast figurine? Was it done to emphasize Scott's status as team leader? Seriously, why???)

I think it may be a case of AA/DST loving to use a specially sculpted piece as much as they can (the Angel wings, anyone?).

It looks like they are 'adding' something to the basic formula and giving us more for our money, perhaps?

Though I don't like them, I can kind of understand them. The chest block is wider than the crotch piece, so the crotch piece seems like a good idea toward giving the crotch an equal width. However, the belt slip-overs without the huge crotch part seem to work better for that purpose.

Yeah - but most people who work out regularly (as superhero's do) will have a chest & shoulders that are broader than their hips . . . which is why i think the crotch piece makes a lot of characters look a little to chunky.