UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Question

minimadman

So I've been in bed almost all day on account that I am sick and I got to wonder what percentage of the minimates in the world are owned by people on this board? If we pooled out collections what percentage would it amount to? Ofcourse this could be the meds talking.

It might be easier to guesstimate with something like the exclusive sets, as we know how many were made.

EG: There were 2000 FA Avengers sets made - how many board members own them? Figure out the percentage from that?

Although - i think the 2-packs are made in much higher numbers, than the exclusives are. :ermm:

That is a tough one. I suspect BHM might be right. Though there are a number of collectors here who buy multiples and have huge stockpiles, the vast majority of people who buy Minimates are casual fans that pick up a pack or two and never think much else about them. Then, there is stock owned by retailers that never sells, which probably makes up another huge chunk. 7-10% might be about right. Taking Nessex's example, that would be roughly 150-200 of a given exclusive set, on average. The most hardcore board members here might have a case of sets, but most would have 1 set or none. Including both active members and members who joined and don't post, I could see 200 or so sets being owned.

Of course, more 2-packs are produced, but they are also cheaper and thus likely owned in greater numbers by board members. They are also more likely to be sold loose in lots on eBay (just because there are more of them), many of which are bought up by board members for customs or other purposes.

... though as far as the loose ones are concerned, there wouldn't be any accounting for the 'mates that have changed hands at least twice (like whenever someone quits and sells off their collection), the prototypes and the "factory overruns".

I have to agree: that would be a really interesting statistic to know... We should take a Minimate census! :lol:

It's the meds, definitely. Meds combined with the mind numbing effects daytime TV.

In that spirit I'll bid one dollar, Bob. Oh wait, wrong game show.

Seriously, I would have said maybe close to 15 - 20%