UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Half-Blood Prince

Trekker 42

Well we have about 3 days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I'm freaking excited! It looks like it'll be worth the wait that the moving of the release date brought. I already have my tickets for the midnight release. So anyone else here excited for what is, right now, the most critically-acclaimed HP movie yet? (According to Rotten Tomatoes. And not just random folks, some real critics mixed in on that.)

My wife and I are excited, but may have to wait until she heals up to go and see it. While some say that folks have moved onto Twilight, I think this will bring some excitement back to the HP camp.

Here's Part 1 & 2 HBO First Look on Youtube. If the second link doesn't work, just look for it just to the right in the related videos. Some pretty cool stuff and I hope they keep everything in it.

the only thing that I don't like about the Harry Potter movies is that as soon as they are over I want to see the next movie immediately, but then I have to a year.

I know what you mean. And imagine Deathly Hallows. They're doing 2 movies of it so you'll have a break in the middle that will probably equal Kill Bill's cliffhanger from Vol. 1. And then having to wait until July 2011 for The Battle of Hogwarts... man that's gonna be PAINFUL!

Here's my question: How do you think they'll go about naming Deathly Hallows onscreen now that it's been split into two movies? You think they'll maybe name the first part "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and the other part "The Battle of Hogwarts" or something? Maybe Deathly Hallows Volumes 1 & 2? Ah, dilemma.

I would just call it Vol. 1 and 2. I would not split it at a cliff hanger though. A really high percentage of people who are going to be watching the movie will have already read the books so there is no reason to have to entice them to come back a few months later and see the next installment. If I were making the movie I would split it

after the rescue from Malfoy manor, have the funeral for Dobby show Harry carving the tombstone pull the camera back then cut to the end title screen. That way they pick up have a little exposition about Gringotts ant it will leave the breaking into the vault and the battle for Hogwarts for the last movie

Here's my question: How do you think they'll go about naming Deathly Hallows onscreen now that it's been split into two movies? You think they'll maybe name the first part "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and the other part "The Battle of Hogwarts" or something? Maybe Deathly Hallows Volumes 1 & 2? Ah, dilemma.

Probably the Volume 1&2 thing...

That makes more sense than creating a new title. My question is where they will stop. Honestly I think right after

Ron comes back and stabs the locket. The sword goes down, huge flash, locket gone, Harry and Ron standing there panting, Harry says "Good to have you back mate" or something then... TO BE CONTINUED

Probably the Volume 1&2 thing...

That makes more sense than creating a new title. My question is where they will stop. Honestly I think right after

Ron comes back and stabs the locket. The sword goes down, huge flash, locket gone, Harry and Ron standing there panting, Harry says "Good to have you back mate" or something then... TO BE CONTINUED

I think that by doing that it will leave too much ground to be covered in the last part which will already need to be long to fit in all the exposition of the third act.

Splitting it at Dobby's burial divides it perfectly.

Vol. 1 would contain

Escape from the Burrough, stealing the locket from Umbridge, Christmas at Godrics Hollow, and the escape from Malfoy manor

Vol. 2 would still have

Assault on Gringotts, and would leave time for an epic battle for Hogwarts.

Yea, i totally agree with minimadman; that'd be the perfect break in my mind as well. Question: How are we already discussing Deathly Hallows?? :P

I am so pumped for tomorrow. I, of course, come the younger audience of Potter, finishing the book about 2 years ago in 8th grade, and i have waited so long to see this adaption. For some reason, Order of The Phoenix didn't quite do it for me, so i hope this makes up for it. What do i reeeeeeally want to enjoy from this movie though??

Dumbledore and Harry going after the Locket Horcrux, only to fight the Inferi.

From the looks at the previews, this ought to be an AMAZING scene.

Oh, and just a little fun fact. What excited me the most about reading Harry Potter for the first time when i was little?? Finding out that I was born on Harry and J.K. Rowling's birthday!! :lol:

Getting off of the Hallows kick we were on... yeah I'm looking forward to that scene with the lake. But I also want to see if what the added (the Burrow fight) is up to scratch with the rest of the story. Suffice ot say, I'm ready to see this SOB.

I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

If I have to complain about something it's that they left out the funeral. But everything else... Perfection. The added scenes... made sense. I mean, damn, how much awesome can one movie contain? Loved this film and I recommend it to everyone, even if you never saw any other Potter film see this.

I'm surprised this movie is getting so much praise. The ending left an awful taste in my mouth (please no potty comments! :D).

RANT TIME!!! Please forgive me as I haven't read a single HP book!

First of all, the movie (once again, I haven't read the book(s), so the book might explain this) is titled Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, yet however, THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE is not even a key point in the story. So the Half-Blood Prince's book got Harry closer to the potion master, making Harry look like an expert, but not until the end when Severus

announces to Harry "By the way, I'm the Half-Blood Prince! lolololol!" the idea isn't brought up. OK, cool you are the Half-Blood Prince, but can you please let the audience know why, or what it means? After all, I believe the movie is titled after you! :angry:

Next, why isn't anyone angry or doing anything about all the "bad guys" who entered Hogwarts. Sure, everyone is

mourning Dumbledore

, but a teacher at your school just killed your head-master, and a student was about to do it. Let's not forget that Death Eaters can now run amok! Why wasn't Hagrid (or anyone else) pissed that Bellatrix blew up his house and the mess hall? Why were Harry, Ron, and Hermione just chillin' at the balcony commenting on how peaceful Hogwarts is, when the dark-lords followers just went to town inside their school? Sure everybody, feel free to mourn, but after what happened, and after what you all know. DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

Overall, as said before, I was extremely disappointed in how the movie ended. It was good up until the last 10 minutes or so, but I don't know, I just expected better after what everyone had to say.

RANT OVER.

I'm surprised this movie is getting so much praise. The ending left an awful taste in my mouth (please no potty comments! :D).

RANT TIME!!! Please forgive me as I haven't read a single HP book!

First of all, the movie (once again, I haven't read the book(s), so the book might explain this) is titled Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, yet however, THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE is not even a key point in the story. So the Half-Blood Prince's book got Harry closer to the potion master, making Harry look like an expert, but not until the end when Severus

announces to Harry "By the way, I'm the Half-Blood Prince! lolololol!" the idea isn't brought up. OK, cool you are the Half-Blood Prince, but can you please let the audience know why, or what it means? After all, I believe the movie is titled after you! :angry:

Next, why isn't anyone angry or doing anything about all the "bad guys" who entered Hogwarts. Sure, everyone is

mourning Dumbledore

, but a teacher at your school just killed your head-master, and a student was about to do it. Let's not forget that Death Eaters can now run amok! Why wasn't Hagrid (or anyone else) pissed that Bellatrix blew up his house and the mess hall? Why were Harry, Ron, and Hermione just chillin' at the balcony commenting on how peaceful Hogwarts is, when the dark-lords followers just went to town inside their school? Sure everybody, feel free to mourn, but after what happened, and after what you all know. DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

Overall, as said before, I was extremely disappointed in how the movie ended. It was good up until the last 10 minutes or so, but I don't know, I just expected better after what everyone had to say.

RANT OVER.

Well as you have not read the books, I can pretty much counter most of this.

The Half-Blood Prince was not a big plot in the book either. Seriously. It's weird but it wasn't. So it makes sense that it isn't in the film.

In the book there was a huge fight between the Death Eaters and the Order in Hogwarts. But because there is a huge battle between the Order and the Death Eaters in Hogwarts in the end of the seventh, they decided not to have one here. Because they wanted to avoid repetition. And as for why they are commenting on how peaceful it is, it's because some serious shit is about to go down. This is the last peaceful day they get. It seems that they are doing nothing, but instead they're getting ready to put some toe to death eater butt! Or at least that;s the idea. Reality goes a bit different.

I saw it tonight, and was mostly happy. They did a great job with the music and the cinematography. There was alot cut from the book, as has been the case with the last few movies. I wish they had saved a little time by removing

one of the three scenes that showed Draco putting something in the invisibility cabinet, and one of the two scenes that showed Harry failing to get the memory.

This would have given them time to add one or two more important parts from the book, like

Dumbledore getting Harry from the Dursley's, Harry and Ginny's REAL kiss after the quidditch match, or another one of the Tom Riddle memories that was cut.

I saw it tonight, and was mostly happy. They did a great job with the music and the cinematography. There was alot cut from the book, as has been the case with the last few movies. I wish they had saved a little time by removing

one of the three scenes that showed Draco putting something in the invisibility cabinet, and one of the two scenes that showed Harry failing to get the memory.

This would have given them time to add one or two more important parts from the book, like

Dumbledore getting Harry from the Dursley's, Harry and Ginny's REAL kiss after the quidditch match, or another one of the Tom Riddle memories that was cut.

I was GLAD the

Dursleys

weren't there. Even in the book they held no story purpose. Just a place to start as they are in every story.

the punisher=d, read the books. Trekker is pretty much on point with his post. Like you, I was a little saddened this had more to do with

Voldermot

and less about

Snape

, who is in fact the Half Blood Prince. If they leave a pivotal scene from the book in the last movie though, it will make up for it, but you've gotta read the books. They just get better and it will be interesting to see where the split up the next 2 movies.

the punisher=d, read the books. Trekker is pretty much on point with his post. Like you, I was a little saddened this had more to do with

Voldermot

and less about

Snape

, who is in fact the Half Blood Prince. If they leave a pivotal scene from the book in the last movie though, it will make up for it, but you've gotta read the books. They just get better and it will be interesting to see where the split up the next 2 movies.

There's no way with 2 movies that may well be 2.5 hours each that they'll leave out the

Prince's Tale which shows Snape's true intentions.

It's pivotal in so many ways. It singlehandedly causes

Harrry to realize he had to die to kill a piece of Voldemort.

They can't NOT have it!