UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Summer Events

Okay, so, like many of us, i am a VERY avid comic reader; i usually never leave my LCS with a stack under $25. And you know what i am really starting to hate?? These Summer Mega-events and all their friggin tie-ins!! I mean really, here's a quick run-down:

Marvel:

Dark Reign (and a BILLION TIE-INS)

War of the Kings

Utopia

War of the Marvels (ok, this one i like)

Captain Americ: Reborn

Ultimate Comics (launching)

DC:

Blackest Night (and it's soon-to-be-billion tie-ins)

Batman: Reborn

So what i'm asking is bascially are we going through too much over-exposure at this point?? I feel really overwhelmed with what's on the shelves these days; there are just soooooo many titles, and a good 10 are having to do with one of the events i listed...PER WEEK. It's getting a little riduclous, in my opinion. Are the companies just trying too hard or are they trying to get as much money as possible?? I don't know what to think, but i know for a fact that i'm sick of it.

I used to have the same problem. I was a marvel zombie and bought almost every tie in to every event from House of M till Secret Invasion.

Then I went cold turkey and haven't bought a comic from my LCS in like four or five months (with he exception of Umbrella Academy).

I'm planning to go on Friday, and I'm going to "start over" and have the guy hold me specific titles. Which include more indie and DC titles than all the mainstream Marvel bull-shit I used to get.

Out of the list you made, I'll only be picking up the Blackest Night stuff, probably not all though.

Thankfully I have limited my comic buying to all ultimate. I buy everything there is in Ultimate. But nothing else. It's a good system as Ultimate line always was small and it's getting smaller.

I'm also getting to where if I read comics at all, it is in TPB format. Comics are just too dang expensive, and often my comic shop sells out of the strangest things--like some random issue of JSA--then I'm stuck missing an issue in the middle of a story arc.

the only ones i pick up are utopia, Dark avengers, ms.marvel, and hulk and from dc batman and robin, gotham sirens,power girl and of course blackest night with GL, and GLC

usually I buy 2 comics(one marvel, one dc)a week to make sure I'm not spending too much.

I'm also getting to where if I read comics at all, it is in TPB format. Comics are just too dang expensive, and often my comic shop sells out of the strangest things--like some random issue of JSA--then I'm stuck missing an issue in the middle of a story arc.

That was one of the reasons I stopped for a while. I'd go to the shop, and, for example, he'd have Ironman #7 held for me, but I'd still need 5 and 6. And of course, he never held me them, and better yet, he doesn't have 5 and 6!!!