UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Vassup?!?

I love Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy, and I know a lot of people get offended by him and his antics and I wanted to hear opinions from people on him and his films. My favorite Character that he portrays is of course Brüno! I loved that character ever since "The Ali G Show". I think he's hilariously offensive and from what I hear this movie (Brüno) is a lot better than Borat and Im looking forwrd to seeing it! What do you think about Brüno or plainly Sacha Baron Cohen for that matter...=)

I like him, and because he's married to Isla Fisher I am insanely jealous of him. I remember when Ali G started on the 11 o Clock show over here. He was an absolute blast of fresh air and japed some very famous people at the time. One memorable one was Sir Rhodes Boyson who was a Conservative backbench MP, the bloke had the most immense mutton chop sideburns and was very very old fashioned. He didn't have the slightest clue that Baron Cohen was taking the piss out of him. :D

Haven't seen the Borat film, but I really liked the character when he was introduced on terrestrial TV. Sadly 'Da Ali-G Show went to Sky and as I refuse to have a Sky subscription I missed the rest of his stuff.

God, i cannot wait to see this movie!! Saw, like, 6 minutes of Borat and HATED every single one, but this looks so much funnier from the trailers i've seen. Definitely a movei to see with a group of friends and then go eat afterwords, which is what i plan to do!! :lol:

"I gavv 'im a twadionall Afwican Amewican naame; OJ." :lol:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I actually liked some of the earlier stuff he way did back in the day but am getting bored of his antics as he seems reliant on the same trick just different ways of dressing it up.

also these days most folks know who he is and his best stuff def comes from those who were clueless as to his real agenda.

T.

I hear ya TBT. With the success of Borat, one has to wonder how successful this one can be? This one might be a renter for me, but we'll see what the wife thinks. I think we can all agree that the critics are either going to pan it or kiss his ass, mainly due to Borat's success and not this movies merits though. Oh, and I love his wife too, she's gorgeous and funny lady.

I'm not a fan of his movie work at all. Borat just completely bored me and I can see this one doing the same. I will prob wait for a rental and thats going to be a push even to watch it.

I did find his TV work funny especially interviewing politicians, it was the same with Dennis Pennis character. but I find this sort of head on ambush comedy character has a short shelf life till ppl get smart to it.

I hear ya TBT. With the success of Borat, one has to wonder how successful this one can be? This one might be a renter for me, but we'll see what the wife thinks. I think we can all agree that the critics are either going to pan it or kiss his ass, mainly due to Borat's success and not this movies merits though. Oh, and I love his wife too, she's gorgeous and funny lady.

At Rottentomatoes it had like 79% so its better than Borat but not by far...They say that Bruno is a more engaing character than Borat so I guess the story dynamic is the same but the characters differ? hmm I'll definatley check this movie out...and Isla Fischer is smoking more than Seth Rogen on a lazy Sunday=)

I do want to see this movie but I'm not really a fan of predatory comedy. (I may have just coined a phrase) I also don't appreciate some douche bag mocking my country and my culture.

I'm sorry, but how is he mocking anything.

His movies/show may be silly, but they all have a point. Borat exposed how many everyday people in America unfriendly, ignorant, and some down right racist.

This worried me too, and our local newspaper actually brought this problem up when it reviewed Bruno. Also, the fact that people commonly know it's Cohen doing an act now (which *wasn't* the case with Borat ;)) sorta risks ruining the willing suspension of disbelief now (although Eminem still seemed pissed all the same)

I do want to see this movie but I'm not really a fan of predatory comedy. (I may have just coined a phrase) I also don't appreciate some douche bag mocking my country and my culture.

I'm sorry, but how is he mocking anything.

His movies/show may be silly, but they all have a point. Borat exposed how many everyday people in America unfriendly, ignorant, and some down right racist.

That's generalizing a bit don't you think? The woman that was teaching him manners got to see the cock of some random person, the people who allowed him to dine with them were openly mocked being called retarded, ugly, and let us not forget the coup de grâce when he brings a bag of shit to the dinner table. It's not as if he was playing it straight and all of the things that happened happened. The RV full of college kids filed suit against the movie here is a quote from the USA Today article that can give you an idea of how "true" Borat is.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

"They were induced to agree to participate and were told the name of the fraternity and the name of their school wouldn't be used," said the plaintiffs' attorney, Olivier Taillieu. "They were put into an RV and were made to believe they were picking up Borat the hitchhiker."

After a bout of heavy drinking, the plaintiffs signed a release form they were told "had something to do with reliability issues with being in the RV," Taillieu said.

He is cherry picking people. The people that you spoke of as "unfriendly, ignorant, and some down right racist." were provoked to the fullest extent.

Mocking perhaps but doesn't it make you wonder how a film like this would get made if those people had a little more common sense!

"Here have some drinks, we're going to film you and make you look really stupid... but we promise not to show it to people now if you'd just sign this waiver form without reading it..." FFS how stupid are those people?

T.

Mocking perhaps but doesn't it make you wonder how a film like this would get made if those people had a little more common sense!

"Here have some drinks, we're going to film you and make you look really stupid... but we promise not to show it to people now if you'd just sign this waiver form without reading it..." FFS how stupid are those people?

T.

Agreed but there are stupid people everywhere. Take the person in charge of film production for Fox for example. :)

Edited by minimadman

T.

Agreed but there are stupid people everywhere. Take the Republican Party for example. :)

the minimates arms

A place to discuss anything but religion & politics...

T.

Agreed but there are stupid people everywhere. Take the Republican Party for example. :)

the minimates arms

Joke: something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: i.e. Agreed but there are stupid people everywhere. Take the Republican Party for example.

T.

the minimates arms

Joke: something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: i.e. Agreed but there are stupid people everywhere. Take the Republican Party for example.

joke:the minimates arms

A place to discuss anything but religion & politics... :P

Banning/Suspension: Something that happens to members who don't follow the guidelines ;)

Minimadman: Negative comments about the Republic party are political, I'm sure there are many here who feel the same about Democrats but refrain from posting it because it is against the guidelines. The no politics or religion rule is there for a good reason, people get very heated and it usually gets personal and ugly very quickly, hence it's the one rule that is strictly enforced.

Brobotc: Please leave moderation to the staff, If you have a complaint or issue with others posting habits then please use the report button.

T.

Sarcasm: something best implied through nuanced inflections in voice, often gets lost in translation when written down... or typed in forums :ermm:

Back on topic: perhaps this new movie might sit better with me if they picked a more original way to do the title besides the old Borat-style "Name-of-character: long, convoluted and borderline contrived spoof description of character's depicted stereotype"

EDIT: Weird, I must've heard that long Bruno title somewhere else. Or maybe I made it up in my head :blink:

Come to think of it, coming up with your Borat-style title makes for a fun party game. Anyone wanna try it? :P

Edited by NorthRaider

Cheese: Dairy bi-product :rolleyes:

So i saw Sacha as Bruno on some talk show almost-grinding on the host (whoever he was and whatever the show was). that was effing great; it's awsome how into the character Sacha will get, which is what i like about actor's like him. I've always wanted to do random character-acting, and it's just great to watch.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face