UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

IGN top 100 villains

TM2 Dinobot

I 100% agree with who they put as the #1 villain. He still is, to me , the best villain ever created, if not one of the top 10 characters of comic books ever. And the Ultimate version is even better. Because when you see him in an Ultimate story, you know the s#!t's gonna hit the fan. There are very few villains who can claim the same for their every appearance.

#1 honestly surprised me. They're a great villain, but after the recent movie success and almost an eternity of the character being praised, I was surprised that #2 didn't hold the #1 spot.

Out of all possible villains, some of the lower ranking ones didn't really strike me as that great. Seems like they were just looking for filler.

I don't understand how they ordered their list anyway. Was it by popularity? Power level? Actions of the villain? The whole thing seemed pretty inconsistent to me.

Subjective decision of 3 or 4 staff members, probably.

I also would have placed #2 as #1. Not familiar with the "Ultimates" incarnation that you all refer to, but in the "619" or whatever version, he is frequently a good guy.

I also would have placed #2 as #1. Not familiar with the "Ultimates" incarnation that you all refer to, but in the "619" or whatever version, he is frequently a good guy.

Well, in the Ultimate U, he's responsible for the deaths of Xavier, Wasp, Giant Man, Thor, Emma Frost, Daredevil, plus who knows how many others.

Goodness gracious! He almost sounds as nasty as that guy who killed all those villains in that bar.

Punisher?

I too would have stuck #2 in the #1 spot, and Green Goblin sure as heck would have been #2.

This is the problem with subjective lists.

Don't forget that Ult #1 also flipped the world on it's axis, ala HAB Theory. Go obscure literature!

Goodness gracious! He almost sounds as nasty as that guy who killed all those villains in that bar.

If you're referring to that issue of Punisher War Journal, then that was hardly comparable, since no authors anywhere have so much as acknowledged that any of the villains they use were even in that bar.

If you're referring to the Scourge of the Underworld story, then those were D-listers that bit it and Ultimate Magneto knocked off some A-listers.

If you're referring to some real life event, then you're probably hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods.

If you're referring to something in the DC universe, then I have no clue. I don't read DC.

All that said, I agree that Magneto probably isn't the top villain, heck, he isn't even the top Marvel villain. It just shows how screwed up this list is.

Edited by drgnrbrn316

If you're referring to the Scourge of the Underworld story, then those were D-listers that bit it and Ultimate Magneto knocked off some A-listers.

I was thinking of this, but I measure nastiness in terms of quantity over quality!

But even if I didn't, I think a "D-list," "real world" villain is more valuable than an "A-list, "alternate reality hero". Except the zombies. Those guys are great.

Punisher?

No, Scourge- the Gru created villain/villains who cleaned out Marvel's lower tier villains back in the day. It was an organization of assasins that ran around the country shooting costumed criminals. The whole thing was either a plot of the Red Skull (why I'm not sure), or the GA "Avenging Angel" hero, depending on which story you liked better. At the time, the Punisher was still sticking to run of the mill gansters... apparently that's gotten boring, so Frank's switched to bigger game lately. (personal note, can't stand the Punisher and don't consider him even remotely a heroic character, YMMV)

I too would have stuck #2 in the #1 spot, and Green Goblin sure as heck would have been #2.

This is the problem with subjective lists.

Definitely the subjective opinion of a few hashed over a lunch table. But I can't really argue that their top five should be the top five. And #1 is the most fleshed out and complex character of the bunch. Personal prefference would be for #3, but that's as subjective as their list.

(personal note, can't stand the Punisher and don't consider him even remotely a heroic character, YMMV)

Strangely, I don't care much about a psychopathic, serial killing super-hero, either. However, I do like Punisher for one reason--his outfit. It's probably got a lot to do with my nostalgia for the Mike Zeck mini-series, but I think the original Punisher get-up is one of the greatest comic book costumes there is. I compulsively collect the "exclusive" Minimate version whenever I get a chance, and I've even got the Medicom RAH version. I really wish DST would re-visit him in this outfit.