UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Villain Ratios, or: We Need More!

elhonez

In looking at the first 30 series, counting variant figures as unique (i.e. each wave contains 7 figures) and excluding movie waves, the ratio of heroes to villains is:

120:41 [!!!]

My "accounting" may be questionable to some. For example, I logged Silver Sable as a hero, Chameleon as JJJ as a villain, Venom as a villain, etc. But most were pretty clear-cut. It's time for more villainy!

The question: Would you support a heavier balance of hero-villain 2-packs? Or even villain 2-packs when applicable? (e.g. Cobra and Mr. Hyde, Viper and Silver Samurai, Batroc and Zaran, Pyro and Avalanche, etc.)

On a wave by wave basis. I think 2 villains per wave is cool be it a army builder goon and a main villain. Or 2 main's and say a shield trooper. having no villains at all in a wave for me don't work as we all need someone for the heroes to fight.

Would I? Absolutely. Without question or hesitation. (unless it was a 2 pack of Howard the Duck villains, then I'd probably question, hesitate, but end up buying it anyway) I'd be up for a Bring On the Bad Guys wave for that matter!

Are there enough nuts like me to warrant it? That's the question.

On a wave by wave basis. I think 2 villains per wave is cool be it a army builder goon and a main villain. Or 2 main's and say a shield trooper. having no villains at all in a wave for me don't work as we all need someone for the heroes to fight.

I totally agree... a couple of waves come to mind that were all heroes, like the Astonishing X-Wave and the upcoming Ultimates Wave. We need at least two villains in each wave! The villains vastly outnumber the heroes in the MU, and I'm hoping for a more villainous focus in 2010.

Credit where it's due: we are getting a couple of villain-y box sets -- the Doom/Skull/Mags/Goblin set was awesome, and the upcoming TBolts minis look interesting. But it would be swell to see some more hero-villain matchups in the regular waves. For instance, I'd kill for an Iron Man wave with IM variants, each vs. an IM villain like Crimson Dynamo, Constrictor, Titanium Man, Blizzard, Mandarin, Blacklash, Madame Masque, Controller, Beetle, Comic Iron Monger, Ghost, Unicorn, etc.

Mandroid army builder, anyone?

BAM. I just rattled off TWELVE. Plus an army builder. So far our non-movie iron-tally is 14 variants, with 1 villain: Spymaster (and arguably, Ultron). And the thing about IM is, there are still many variants to plunder. Here's hoping they start pairing them with his foes.

With Iron Man 2 coming out next summer, I'm expecting lots of Shellhead related minimates next year, elhonez.

I mean, if with the Wolverine movie we get a 616 wave that included 4 characters featured in the film, we could hope that there will be a 616 wave next summer that will have feature Iron Man and Whiplash (at least that's who the rumors have Mickey Rourke playing).

I like to add Fixer and Mentalo to the list of requested villain 2 packs

I whole Heartdly Agree with this statment. It's my one gripe with the line, dst's improved the line allot, but this is the one section i feel is lacking. Thankfully with the advent of the army builders that can help even things out more, but we still need many bad guys.

Spideys villains have been pretty well represented but eveyone else needs more love. I don't ever really expect them to make more bad guys than villains, they just need more. Theres allot of high level ones totally untouched.

I'm really surprised they havent made the brotherhood of evil mutants yet with all the x love.

I'd love some people to lead our army builders like baron strucker, and the viper. Plus modok to lead all the AIM guys..

and theres so many masters of evil characters that'd probably make cool exclusives.....

the wrecking crew....

It'd be cool if they made both baron zemo's via a variant.... I'd be totally down arnim zola... and obviously kang.

just so much potential, but this is the one lacking department.

Edited by Ray

If they were new villians and not re-do's of existing characters, I'd be down for a couple of all-villain waves.

Unless it was a Doc Ock with much, much longer tentacles. That'd be okay.

Or a Goblin with a glider. (Green, Hob, Demo, I care not which)

And Jugernaut with a powerhouse chest piece.

Or...

Not helping am I? Sorry :blush:

A Bring on the Bad Guys wave would be very cool.

It will never happen, as marketing will say you have to have heroes in order to sell the sets.

but I would LOVE an all bad guy wave. It is the one thing that the minimate line lacks...more villains.

However, the army builders will help that, AIM and Hydra agents a plenty would be awesome.

now we just need hellfire goons, and hand ninjas.

Since I'm not a completist, I buy those mates I do like as a character or because they look great (or as custom fodder...). Therefore I'd support your idea because many very cool characters that aren't already minimaterized are villains. The thing is, heroes are more popular and therefore sell much easier for the non-nerd-masses. But the latest and the announced waves (and boxsets) show that DST is actually thinking about that.

However, I want the Wrecking Crew! :D

I suppose that "heroes are more 'saleable' than villians"except when you have a franchise like Dr.Who. OK I realise there are various Doctors & numerous 'assistants' but there are myriads of villainous aliens & protagonists. Unfortunately Dr.Who is not a Minimate license yet but if it were the villains would be far more popular than the Doctor . For example nobody ever buys just one dalek without wanting another! :)

Minimates are still lacking in villains, but DST seems to be making more of them now then they used to. They've done a good job on making spidey villains but we are really lacking in X-Men villains. Hopefully there will be a villains wave or more villains boxsets.

A Brotherhood (Avalanche, Pyro, Toad & Redo-Mystique), Avengers Enemies (Zemo, Kang, Klaw & a different form of Ultron), Iron Man Enemies (Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man & Whiplash) would make some nice boxsets.

Edited by fwoosheyman

If they were to use, say, Doppleganger then that'd have the whole mainstream hero covered. Kids would just think it was a scary Spiderman and it wouldn't stop them from buying it. Hulk? I'd settle for a Planet Hulk.

It wouldn't be that hard to make a Villains wave, since yes, we do need more. I'd love some X-Men or Avengers foes. Hell, maybe a new Carnage while we're at it. Doc Ock can wait, he's just an old guy with self-aware tentacles in his back.

ya know what I would like, I think a lot of ppl were bored by the punisher set, but I love it, and through looking for it kind of brought me back to minimates. I would like a bunch of guys for the punisher to kill, mafia lookin ppl, guys in suits with guns and stuff---he takes these guys down by the truck loads! I know this would never happen so maybe i can find my own, any suggestions?

I made my own generic "thugs" and "gangsters" by mixing and matching parts from different minimates. I used parts from the frank castle and thug in the punisher boxset along with pieces from other "civilian" minimates lines like Rocky and The Man w No Name Trilogy.

I totally agree... a couple of waves come to mind that were all heroes, like the Astonishing X-Wave and the upcoming Ultimates Wave. We need at least two villains in each wave! The villains vastly outnumber the heroes in the MU, and I'm hoping for a more villainous focus in 2010.

Well TECHNICALLY the villain of the Ultimates wave is Hulk. The Ultimates wave seems to be based around Ultimates 1 volume 1 issue 5 where he was pretty clear cut as an uncontrollable villain. This was basically, excepting Giant Man and the Wasp (Mardi-Gras Special!) the guys who took on the Hulk or the guys who set up the team (this one accounting for Fury).

Also, Fury was a villain of Ultimate Power as he was part of the conspiracy involving Doom, the guy in the Supreme Universe, Screwing with Reed Richards, and mass genocide. So honestly, we kinda do have 2 villains. Technically.

Man it's gonna be fun when Fury comes back during Ultimatum. I haven't been reading Squadron Supreme but I have a feeling he's going to be PISSED!

Man I LOVE being the resident Ultimate expert. I know NOTHING about current MU (and I mean nothing! I haven't read JACK except Thor, some Deadpool and some Thunderbolts since SI) but give me Ultimate and I will OWN you!

Edited by Trekker 42