UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Are these DC minimates?

jason4444

Hello folks!

I'm into Marvel minimates so go easy on me.

I bought a DC collection from a guy and in the mix was these five 2.75 size figures. Are these DC minimates or maybe Kubricks? If so, why the size difference? I think one is Bane but I have no idea who the others are.

Kisses,

jason4444

post-2791-1241651598_thumb.jpg

post-2791-1241651613_thumb.jpg

They're definitely DC Minimates.

From left to right: Ares, Bane, STRIPE, Killer Croc, Brainiac 13

No clue why they're bigger. I think it was because DC wanted all of their mates to be bigger than Marvel's.

Yep the 2.5" Figures are Minimates.

DST's rule for all minimates is that they are the same 2" scale, this started as a marvel license stipulation but the more licenses were produced DST liked everyone in scale and it became 'law for all licenses'.

Because these were DCD They had the final say (I hear rumors it was a heated debate!) on size and demanded 2.5" mates, So we ended up with some larger figures.

T.

Thank you for the reply!!

They just don't fit.

DST's rule for all minimates is that they are the same 2" scale, this started as a marvel license stipulation but the more licenses were produced DST liked everyone in scale and it became 'law for all licenses'.

Because these were DCD They had the final say (I hear rumors it was a heated debate!) on size and demanded 2.5" mates, So we ended up with some larger figures.

T.

Well - that's part of the debate. The point of the 2.5" characters was to make them 'fit' with smaller characters. EG: Bane is huge & needs to be taller & Bulkier than Batman - hence the 2.5" 'Mate.

Thank you for the reply!!

They just don't fit.

T.

This was always a sore spot for me. I have no problem with a character like the Hulk being the same size as Wolverine, so it was a bother to me to have Bane being so much bigger than Batman. I always preferred one body type, but since the DC mates are dead I guess it's kind of a non-issue for me now.

I have to disagree and say it was a great idea. One of the mates there, STRIPE is a mech. If you pull off the torso cover you can see a person inside. How could they do that in 2" form?

And while a hand full of 2.5" mates don't fit with a horde of 2" the more you collect the more you'll see that there are plenty of 2.5 and 3" mates out there.

Personally, I think the DCD minimates were the best minimates created... :(

I have to disagree and say it was a great idea. One of the mates there, STRIPE is a mech. If you pull off the torso cover you can see a person inside. How could they do that in 2" form?

And while a hand full of 2.5" mates don't fit with a horde of 2" the more you collect the more you'll see that there are plenty of 2.5 and 3" mates out there.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the 2.5"-up rule should be all or nothing, meaning either all licenses abide by it or none of them do. While the size difference would work better for keeping everyone in proper perspective, the uniformity of a standard size allows for greater customization. You can put a Spidey mask on Hulk, but you can't dress Bane in a Batman cowl.

As far as DCD being superior, on paper that would make sense. It did away with the somewhat dreaded variant rule and put out 8 unique characters with each series. It provided a varied scale for more accurate representation of its characters. It crammed just about every package with accessories. But, apparently while DCD was trying to blow the Marvel minis out of the water, it was racking up a higher production cost, meaning that it had to bring in a lot more sales to remain profitable. So, Marvel's uniformity florished where DC's variety floundered.

Loved them!

I have to agree I loved the DCD mates and that the figures where different sizes was ok with me I liked the larger size Killer Croc and Bane to be imposing over Batman & Robin. I think it was the DCD line of figures that made the other mates licences take notice. The DCD figures pushed the envelope nearly with every wave there was something new and I would say it was this that made Marvel line also improve to keep up.