UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Am I the only person having problems buying things from people?

groundhog7s

Am I the only person having bad experiences with buying stuff recently? I've only had a small amount of bad experiences, but I've had three things just recently that have been so frustrating to deal with:

-I bought a Vision/Hawkeye 2-pack from a dealer on eBay. When I got it and opened it, I realized it was the variant pack and not the regular one shown in the auction. When I contacted them, they said I should feel lucky I got one that is more rare. Since I already have the variant (and it's much easier to find now), I don't feel that lucky. I've asked for a refund through paypal, but the seller has told me since I opened it they can't take it back. They did offer that I could just buy another one from them. Like that's going to happen.

-I bought some stuff from a new store on-line. After getting most of my first order (they said they were short on a box set, but would get the rest to me when it came in), I traded some stuff to the for store credit. I made several orders and worked out with them that they could ship it all at once. Then, after they had my money and my stuff, it took almost a month of not hearing from them to finally get them to send my stuff out. When I got it, about half of what I ordered wasn't there. I contacted them and they told me they'd look for it. They never could find it (after a few weeks of me waiting and e-mailing every 6-7 days or so) so I finally just asked for a refund. It ticked me off because not only did I miss out on some things I have yet to see anywhere, but also when I got the refund I had to pay paypal fees.

-I bought some DVD sets off of someone on another board months ago. They told me they would send them out and then disappeared off of the board for almost a month without sending them out. I filed a complaint with paypal and by the time they decided all they could get me was $2 of the $55 I had sent them. I started looking around the internet and found them starting to sell other items on a different board. I pm'd them and, since I had found their phone number on that board, I offered to call them and work it out. Obviously, felling intimidated, they contacted me and apologized over and over again and said they would send me money in a couple weeks. I kept in contact with them until they said they sent out a money order which was two weeks ago. I haven't gotten it and now can't get them to contact me.

Yeah, it's a long rant, but am I the only one having problems like this recently?

Yikes, sorry groundhog for all of the recent bad luck! :(

I've two problems recently (one on eBay and one at CSC), but both were solved (like a month later though...) by me getting refunds.

CSC somehow didn't process my order, and when I contacted them a month later, they said to re-palce the order, and use the money order function, not paying. I couldn't really do that because one of the items (the elusive SDCC P1 SOTA Dan of course!!!) was out of stock. After a week and a half of e-mails, i eventually got my refund for him....

There is more hassle buying stuff on ebay these days. Ebay do little to help when things go wrong whilst Paypal is a bad joke. I personally 'outed' ebluemarble (now trading as Kailyns.com) as crooks but ebay do not appear to be interested.

I also find that certain new Minimate stuff isn't so easy to locate & I am currently struggling to place an order for the upcoming Waves 25 & 26*. If you didn't know AFX & BBTS have sold out their pre-orders whilst CSC seem to be hesitant about confirming my order I placed yesterday. AFX seem to be cutting back on Minimate stockholding & they sell out rapidly.

*custom cases

Why the font size ? :D

Edited by buttheadsmate

I just got done with another e-mail from the person from ebay. They claim because the item I got was listed on the invoice as Vision and Hawkeye that I got what I ordered, even though it's Vision 2.0 and it doesn't look like what's in the picture. And the keep apologizing that I'm not happy to be the 'Lucky Person' who got the rare variant. I just don't get it.

By the way, I am assuming the seller isn't a member here.

From now on, I should only do trades and buying here. Every one here is honest, right?

I plan on it, but having opened it I don't think I'd get much out of it and would lose some money on the deal. It's more about the frustration of dealing with a seller who screwed up and is trying to convince me I should be happy about it.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

I just got done with another e-mail from the person from ebay. They claim because the item I got was listed on the invoice as Vision and Hawkeye that I got what I ordered, even though it's Vision 2.0 and it doesn't look like what's in the picture. And the keep apologizing that I'm not happy to be the 'Lucky Person' who got the rare variant. I just don't get it.

Nah, that doesn't cut it. If the pictures/description did not specify that it was the variant, then the item is "significantly different than described," and you should get your money back, IMO. Apart from that, the guy sounds like he is intentionally being an ass at this point, so I would be more emboldened to get my money back with what he is saying that I otherwise would, if I were you. Did you file a paypal dispute? Don't hesitate to do so, and be sure to ask for the money you paid (including shipping), plus shipping back to him.

Edited by karamazov80

Real sorry about the problems you've been having lately groundhog. Looks like you're already taking some of the proper steps in handling them, of course with eBay you can never be sure. :ermm:

[/feeble attempt at moral support]

Just to share my own experience, but our local eBay can be just as chaotic, if not even more so. Since we don't use PayPal as often here (Credit card? What credit card?), most often sellers/buyers would resort to either meet-ups, money orders, or a slew of other stuff that theoretically speaking should go against "regular" eBay's guidelines. Call it an unfortunate inborn national talent at "bypassing the red tape" :(

And eBay is still "the best marketplace online"? Eep.

Man, sorry to hear about your run of bad luck GH. Hopefully that luck will turn itself around, stiff upper lip ;)

That stinks bro.

I'd be filing against the seller of Vision 2.0. It doesn't matter if you were 'lucky' enough to get a variant. The guy did not fullfil the contract aggreed apon by you both.

I've had a bit of bad luck myself on eBay. I guess everyone has.

I bought a run of Age of Apocalypse comics that were listed as Mint/Near Mint - but wouldn't have passed for fine.

And there have been dozens of items that just never showed up.

I had a chap sell me a MOTU Hordak Staction figure, who had reasonably good feedback. the day i made my purchase, dozens of buyers started leaving feedback clamiing there items never arrived. Mine never came either. The guy just sold as many items as quickly as he could and then did a runner. I assume he started up as another business on eBay a few months later.

After reporting him to eBay, a rep emailed me claiming they were 'investigating' him - i never heard anything more.

Having said that - i've boought hundreds of things from eBay that have arrived and been wonderful - so the odds are in my favour at least.

Speaking of which - my Silver Centurian MiniMate just arrived in the mail on Thursday. WOOT! I is happy :D

Buying online is always a crapshoot. eBay or otherwise. I try to buy at retail or order from local specialty shops if at all possible. It may cost a little more, but it's worth it for the convenience. Then if something is defective or doesn't show up, you can have a little face-to-face with someone. The distance between buyer and seller that the internet provides gives jackasses the freedom to rip people off with little or no consequences.

I have had my share of online seller problems. Some very recently. (*I'm looking at you MattyCollector*) I definitely feel for you, bro...