UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the punisher war zone

Mattallica

HOW FRIGGIN' HARD IS IT TO MAKE A DECENT PUNISHER MOVIE!

i mean there are some really good stories in the comics that easily could be made into a real nice movie but it just doesn't happen, as you can tell i just got done watching the dvd, and boy does it suck! Ray stevenson or whatever his name is should have stayed in Rome as he sure as hell is not THE Punisher, and not much of an actor either. even Tom Jane was better than this dud(e) and TJ is not all that great.

as for the direction of this Pic, Huh other than some really bad effects on some over the top violence(none of it believable) i cant tell that there was any direction= Lexi Alexander you suck too!

as stated before the special effects were laughable, from Billys horrible accident to his even worse Jigsaw face to simple things like a knife to the head were very poorly done.

the shame of it all is that now after three attempts/failures(1st one with Dolph was an ok action movie but really had little that made it the punisher, 2nd try with Tom was ok, but just missed the mark with the orgin, and had some poor acting) i dont see any way we'll ever see ol' Frank in a movie again :angry::(

Well, someone thought that 3 different movies were worth being made. So, I wouldn't count out the possibility of a 4th at some point. For whatever reason, film producers/Marvel think that he is something that people want to pay to see, even if the evidence rarely backs up this idea.

Regarding War Zone, it seems like one of those movies that you can't have too many preconceptions about. After reading Vern's review, I have wanted to see it, but I will not be expecting very much.

Well, someone thought that 3 different movies were worth being made. So, I wouldn't count out the possibility of a 4th at some point. For whatever reason, film producers/Marvel think that he is something that people want to pay to see, even if the evidence rarely backs up this idea.....

Don't get me wrong, i love the Punisher Character he is a wonderful tragic hero, and i think a great movie can be made, thats the problem why hasn't it? its not like Superpowers or costumes make it tough to make his story "real" just get some good actors and production people and a good script(again there are many in the comics that could be easily adapted)

Edited by Mattallica

I feel it's ashame you felt the movie sucked so much and were unable to enjoy it for what it is. After the 2004 movie which was ok but strayed away from the source material, I was shocked that War Zone even got the green light.

Now for my review which may contain spoilers for those who haven't seen it…

When I watched this movie for the first time I kind of felt like I had been on a good rollercoaster ride, it was in your face action which was wasn't toned down, so that was a good thing! I liked the opening music but was a little unsure about the inclusion of scenes that were going to be shown later in the film, I think it would’ve been better if they had just kept to showing him preparing weapons/looking badass.

The Mob Family Massacre was good, a part of me wished the Mob boss lasted longer as I was finding him quite funny especially when he was arguing with Billy and Pitsy - "You greasy ****!"

I think they weren’t really sure what angle they wanted to focus the story on since you’ve got so many things going on...

Billy Russo wants to rule,

Jigsaw wants revenge,

FBI worried about 9/11 part 2,

Frank wanting to quit and then wanting to protect the widow and daughter,

FBI Agents wants to arrest Castle,

A gang doing parkour.

It was easy to follow but due to the inclusion of so much I felt there wasn't as much depth as there could've been especially with the amount of comic characters they decided to use.

I loved Ray as Frank Castle, I liked how Tom portrayed the punisher but he lacked the aged/hard-done-by look that Ray seems to express, it’s all in the eyes and he was fierce! I also liked when he attemps to smile, I felt he had done his homework and really tried to portray Frank Castle in the correct manner fans could appreciate.

What I would’ve like to have seen:

I wish they had given Frank more lines and delved deeper into his character (possibly with more flashbacks showing what made him into the Punisher)….sometimes I felt he didn’t have enough screentime.

I feel Looney Bin Jim lived upto his name, the mirror smashing was fun even though that may have played a part in the movie doing so poorly at the box office. His craziness came across with alot of humor, I'm not sure if this was intentional but I enjoyed his scenes and loved the hand to hand combat with the Punisher.

Out of the two, Jigsaw seemed pretty weak and actually got completely owned by the Punisher, whereas LBJ appeared to be matching Frank albeit his dirty fighting tactics.

I kinda felt in was pointless showcasing Maginty with his gang as we didn’t really get to see them causing trouble (apart from the aftermath of it)

I had no issues with the guy's mid-air demise (I found it hilarious, and it got laughs from the other viewers) the other guy getting shot between the eyes was ok, but I was a little disappointed with how fast Maginty was taken down! Early on in the movie he’s described as a badass on a constant meth high, I was expecting some sort of rooftop battle which would’ve ultimately ended with his impalement on that spiked fence.

Other minor gripes were the way the flash backs were handled, I thought the part by the grave was good and quite strong, but when Grace was looking at that snow globe carousel I was expecting another flashback to take place which actually showed his family murder sequence….and how he managed to survive.

I loved the LBJ fight but wished it had lasted longer….I was also expecting Frank to knock his teeth out or something along those lines

especially after taking that harsh bite to the neck.

And finally the brief showdown/game with Jigsaw…..it built up a little tension

but I kinda ended up wanting LBJ to survive…..he promised his brother he’d kill the punisher slowly so I think a good twist could’ve involved his survival. (But I suppose if the bride can survive a bullet to the head in Kill Bill, anyone can)

I had no problem with Jigsaw’s death…but the way he was defeated expresses how he was never really a threat to the Punisher, the only way he was hurting Frank was by threatening and killing the innocent. With a character like the Punisher you really need a villain that’s going to appear as ruthless, sadistic, selfish, strong and evil, but with Jigsaw prancing around and whining for money the audience already knows it’s only a matter of time before his demise.

For me, some of the Scenes came across as funny even though it was most likely unintentional. But as far as Superhero movies go it delivers in the entertainment aspect and although some of my comments might seem contrived I did honestly enjoy this movie and will go as far as to say it is my favourite Punisher Movie, having now seen all 3. If that Director’s cut does exist I look forward to seeing what was left on the cutting room floor as the extended 2004 edition definitely improved that movie.

All in all, I know it’s probably highly unlikely but I would like to see Ray as Frank Castle one last time but only if they could learn from some of the mistakes which could’ve made this the Punisher everyone could enjoy, I do think it’s harder for a character like Frank Castle to have a huge following mainly due to his mental state and his methods of dealing with the corrupt. Most of the comic book characters end up “doing the right thing” villains get beaten and put in jail or an asylum but with the Punisher you’re pretty much guaranteed an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, shoot first, questions later.

Perhaps a straight to dvd sequel or even a 5 to 10 part series has potential to work as I feel Ray personifies the Punisher and is very close to how I wanted Frank Castle to be onscreen.

So for anyone who hasn't seen it, If you have a blu-ray player I'd highly recommend this version as it looks really good in HD, everything is so crisp, I even noticed more damage/killings than I did when I saw it in the cinema.

Or at least give it a rent and keep an open mind, fans of 80's action films shouldn't be disappointed.

PWZCropped01.jpg

PWZCropped02.jpg

PWZCropped04.jpg

PWZCropped06.jpg

PWZCropped07.jpg

I have seen this movie twice now and still don't like it. not one bit of it. what has made Iron Man and the Batman reboots so good is that it is taken seriously as a film property. Even the Tom Jane Punisher manages to do this. this movie however is a return to the kind of comic book movies that nearly killed the genre (I'm talking to you Batman and Robin). The Punisher character is all about revenge, someone killed his family so he wants revenge... on every criminal. I have seen many good revenge movies and I don't understand what is so hard about making a great Punisher movie. The fact that the gore was so dialed up in this one is insulting. Its as if they had it in pre-production and knew the script was terrible and one of the higher ups stood up and proclaimed "I got it!! We all know that the script sucks so what we should do is make the violence so graphic and outrageous that no one will notice. It works for the Saw movies every year." Egh. It did pass some cool minimates our way though so I can't be too mad.

i've just this minute finished watching this (the end credits are still playing in the background in fact), and i thoroughly enjoyed it. sure, t'wasn't the best film i've ever seen, but certainly wasn't the worst. I don't know much, at all... about the punisher comics, although i do like the character, and Stevenson seemed pretty much what i'd expect in terms of a big screen adaption. The main villians were pretty poor, they didn't seem threatening at all, especially loony bin, who did however manage to make castle forget how to fight properly during the fisty-cuffs near the end.

it did make me want to find out more about the punisher comics n' such... which i'd say is a strong indication of how well a film like this has done. would i be right in assuming Ink and Micro are pre-existing characters?

and... in terms of the mates box set (which i was planning on getting anyway, but has now moved up on my priority list), i was under the impression the guy with the busted noes was supposed to be a generic thug, but now i know (and thats half the battle, apparently)

EDIT - of corse, it was rather cheesey at times, and i chuckled at parts you really weren't meant to (as well as bits you were)

Edited by bobafett

it did make me want to find out more about the punisher comics n' such...

do yourself a favor and pick up some of the Marvel Max punisher stuff its great!

I reccommend the storyline "Mother Russia" It's got everything it's one of my favorites.

It was worth the $1 I spent to rent it, but I doubt that I'll be adding it to my collection. I expect gore from my Punisher, but much of this just seemed so forced like they were trying to fill a requisite-quota or something (for those disturbed by Watchmen's graphic moments, I found this film's more appalling), or like the film was written around a few effects they had planned. McGinty lacked an opportunity to actually "do" anything (other than provide info. and die like a bitch) and Jig-Saw just wasn't much of a threat which leaves his brother Looney-Bin Jim. Oh where to begin. I think that he definitely had some good moments, however soooo much of it was terribly over-acted ("look at me, I'm k-raaaazy!"). I think Ray played the part (well, Bradstreet's Punisher), but I can't necessarily praise his acting (I was pleased that he was given fewer lines, actually!). All-in-all, an entertaining flick if you happen to catch-it, but nothing inspiring.

The Minimates have far more personality, IMHO!

Edited by cdubya