UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

NorthRaider

I know this is an old posting section, but what are the chances of the line being brought back from the dead? The reason why I say this is because of the upcoming Chun-Li movie.

Based on previous DST "Q&A"s, there is a probability very close to 0 that this line comes back. Assume that it is dead, because it essentially is.

Just got reminded of this again: I opened our newspaper this morning at it said that Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is slated for a February 25 movie premier here.

Don't worry, I won't go all "broken record" over the SF2 Minimates again. I just wanted to mention that judging from some of the pics it looks they're they're making SOME of the movie looks of the characters pretty accurate to the originals. Taboo as Vega was such an interesting likeness I actually found it pretty spooky... IIRC it looks like Apl de Ap is now the only Black Eyed Pea who has yet to foray into acting. :P

On the whole Kristin Kreuk as Chun Li issue... Yeah, I can understand some of the fan uproar over her being cast but I'm still optimistic she might get Chun Li right. First off people should stop getting pissy over the likeness and using that "Kristin Kreuk isn't Chinese" argument because in fact she actually IS half-Chinese (from her mother).

Plus there's also the consideration that she might've been cast NOT JUST because of her faithfulness to Chun Li's look but because of how well she might actually act out the character. I mean, look at the movies based on "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy": Saiyuri is supposed to be Japanese but they could only get Zhang Ziyi (who is Chinese... much to the dismay of the purists) to fit the role, whilst Ford Prefect was originally depicted as some eccentric, wiry-haired white guy in the book but Mos Def managed to make the character work in the movie.

Anyways, I'm really curious as to how this movie might turn out. I sense a possibility (albeit a very remote one) that it might be wonderfully faithful enough to the original to gain a following.

Edited by NorthRaider

I sense a possibility (albeit a very remote one) that it might be wonderfully faithful enough to the original to gain a following.

As long as it retains

from "the original," then I will be satisfied enough with it. However, it is always tough when you attempt to remake a true classic.

As long as it retains
from "the original," then I will be satisfied enough with it. However, it is always tough when you attempt to remake a true classic.

... I think I just got a hernia from watching that.

Eh, I prefer the Mystery Men approach to the inspiring hero speech. ("Do we all gather together, and go kick some Casanova butt? Or do I eat this sandwich?")

(FYI: Never liked the Van Damme Street Fighter movie. Guile is supposed to be an all-American. And I HATE HATE HATE how they turned Ken and Ryu into a couple of conman chumps.)

I sense a possibility (albeit a very remote one) that it might be wonderfully faithful enough to the original to gain a following.

As long as it retains

Here I thought you were sneaking in another link to Chun-Li's shower scene. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rotten Tomatoes is accurate at giving you the "average" critics' score, anyway. 0 positive reviews out of 20 doesn't look too good, though. Even Uwe Boll's movies get a couple of positive reviews somehow:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/postal/

I just hope that the Razzies aren't as prone to the "new movie" bias as the Oscars are.